Canal Cyclists

pigeon controller

47 minutes ago, Scully said:

Unfortunately, there is no legal  requirement for a cyclist to fit a bell, let alone use one. Personally I think there should be. 

When i used to commute to work, I used to cycle down a shared use pavement with a marked cycle path. Pedestrians would just amble down that with head phones / earbuds in and couldn't hear a bell , I would have needed an air horn! Same on canal paths, I walk our dogs down a local one and the number of pedestrians, runners and cyclists with buds in, no wonder they can't hear what is going around them!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, smokingdragon said:

When i used to commute to work, I used to cycle down a shared use pavement with a marked cycle path. Pedestrians would just amble down that with head phones / earbuds in and couldn't hear a bell , I would have needed an air horn! Same on canal paths, I walk our dogs down a local one and the number of pedestrians, runners and cyclists with buds in, no wonder they can't hear what is going around them!

Yep, and with more and more electric cars on quiet country lanes, it doesn’t bode well for dog walkers, horse riders or cyclists.

Someone is going to come to grief. 

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Respect to you, on our canal we have gates on some of the sections and they have been permanently forced open which allows the cyclists to speed up and on some Sunday mornings we groups up to 12 racing along the tow path. The majority of the week day riders are respectful and some actually use a bell which is a legal requirement. 
I totally agree to take your kids out into the fresh air and teach them give and take, well done.

I just chill when I ride on the cut tbf and enjoy the ride but I know what you mean on the idiots that ride full blast . 
I had a mate that used to ride full chat on the green lanes and I told him to stop . He just said I don’t care if they shut 😮

4 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Respect to you, on our canal we have gates on some of the sections and they have been permanently forced open which allows the cyclists to speed up and on some Sunday mornings we groups up to 12 racing along the tow path. The majority of the week day riders are respectful and some actually use a bell which is a legal requirement. 
I totally agree to take your kids out into the fresh air and teach them give and take, well done.

Yep, the gates are all regularly broken then repaired and broken again.

At my wife's work they used to take the staff out for team building exercises At the Damally hotel her lot chose cycling they took them along the canal one wife cycled straight in they couldn't get her out for laughing , and i was worried when she said i fancy archery LOL 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Surely it is still illegal to ride a bike on a public footpath/pavement? 

As a last resort for persistent stroppy cyclists, try carrying a thumb stick. Front wheel, job done.

It’s also dangerous riding on the road . The speed cars pass us is mental . 
I’ll carry on on the path 👍. I can’t risk my kids life’s 

To put a stick through the front wheel would be assault 👍

17 hours ago, Westley said:

Piano wire works well   !     😉

Not even worth joking about tbh 👍. Man slaughter would follow 

Edited by team tractor

should just try riding a bike on the road these days.pot holes are much more of a pproblem than they ever were.you have to avoid them and in doing so you do have to swerve quickly around them giving cars no time to react.so canal paths are a lot safer and i would like to think most people on bike would be considerate.not talking about the lycra clad muppets who ride 5 a side blocking roads deliberately mind you.all they have to do is join a gym or get an exercise bike but no they have to ride at paek times on narrow lanes and stop people from getting to work.

18 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I would  say

It’s also dangerous walking on the FOOT path . The speed cyclists pass us is mental.

It’s not even close tho is it . 70-80mph past us in a 40-50mph road is going to kill us . Are you saying I should make my 5 year old ride on the road ? Or my 8 or 14 year old . I prefer them home at night 

12 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

should just try riding a bike on the road these days.pot holes are much more of a pproblem than they ever were.you have to avoid them and in doing so you do have to swerve quickly around them giving cars no time to react.so canal paths are a lot safer and i would like to think most people on bike would be considerate.not talking about the lycra clad muppets who ride 5 a side blocking roads deliberately mind you.all they have to do is join a gym or get an exercise bike but no they have to ride at paek times on narrow lanes and stop people from getting to work.

Exactly. 
I’m not a Lycra man , I do find them annoying . 
im a hard tail mtb rider 

Edited by team tractor

As a last resort for persistent stroppy cyclists, try carrying a thumb stick. Front wheel, job done.

44 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Shoulder charge into the canal 

17 hours ago, Westley said:

Piano wire works well   !     😉

Comments like this really do make me giggle,  especially from folk scared of doing anything that may risk their SGC

Me and my kids have cycled along the canal and enjoyed it, we always did as kids, and as TT says these days the majority of roads are far too busy yo take youngsters on, we cycle on roads, and if there's any issues I tell my kids to get straight onto the path out of the way.

If somebody tries deliberately injuring my kids while we're out it's going to end very badly for them.

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Comments like this really do make me giggle,  especially from folk scared of doing anything that may risk their SGC

Me and my kids have cycled along the canal and enjoyed it, we always did as kids, and as TT says these days the majority of roads are far too busy yo take youngsters on, we cycle on roads, and if there's any issues I tell my kids to get straight onto the path out of the way.

If somebody tries deliberately injuring my kids while we're out it's going to end very badly for them.

Nail on head . 

I do ask myself what they would say to their grandkids ? Or if someone did that to them .

I would be only too happy to supply a thumb stick if it was to be used for this purpose :whistling:

I was a long-time cyclist [now only a pedestrian and van driver] so can see this from both/all sides. I've always had respect for everything else using the same road space as me, or I wouldn't be here now. We all have to share the same tarmac/pavement/whatever,,,, just need to do it sensibly. Just MHO 🤷🙂

Saying that, I will make it awkward for someone invading my 'space', but no violence, obviously !

Our local town has put in (at enormous expense) MILES of cycle paths.  Problem is that many won't use them.  They still cycle on the road.  When I enquired about why from someone I know who is a cyclist, the problem is that some people go slow and enjoy a nice ride out, or cycle to work, to the shop etc - but the many 'lycra specials' want to tear along at high speed and have to slow down when someone slower is in front until they can get past.  But that's what every motorist has to do anyway for horses, slower motorists, tractors, lorries, buses - and yes EVEN cyclists.

18 minutes ago, London Best said:

Am I alone in thinking that it is well overdue that anyone riding a bike on the road should have compulsory insurance? 
Even if they are illegally riding on the pavements!

No you are not, they should also have to pass a proficiency test (with a lot of emphasis on stopping at red lights).

19 minutes ago, London Best said:

Am I alone in thinking that it is well overdue that anyone riding a bike on the road should have compulsory insurance? 
Even if they are illegally riding on the pavements!

Agreed.  As well as that, like motorists, they should not be allowed to race, practice racing, or any other 'sport' aspects on the public road/pavement/footpath/cycle path.

Cycle sports and training related to them should be for the track (or specially closed roads) ONLY - as motoring and motorsports.