What's best Waders for wildfowling

Root

This all depends on what you require. I walk miles on the marsh and have found the cheaper the better as they last just as long as the expensive ones. Now if your not walking far and it’s cold I would definitely use neoprene ones, but again they all leak after a while so have a tube of aqua sure handy. 

1 hour ago, muncher said:

This all depends on what you require. I walk miles on the marsh and have found the cheaper the better as they last just as long as the expensive ones. Now if your not walking far and it’s cold I would definitely use neoprene ones, but again they all leak after a while so have a tube of aqua sure handy. 

This is true re cheaper ones ^

I wear waders heavily,  as I do a lot of wading in rivers and marshes re fishing and shooting. The expensive ones don’t last longer than the cheapies. The ‘Ocean’ or ‘Vass’ PVC heavy fabric (750 I think) are good and easy to patch. They perish along the seams eventually, but it will take a lot of hard ware to to this. Neoprenes - I’ve given up with them. They’re harder to walk in and too hot for my liking if there’s any distance involved. Snowbee used to be a decent brand for these, but I haven’t bought them for years. Hope that helps. 

P.S I recommend cleated soles for muddy terrain. 

I use stocking foot waders … typically breathable….

Again .. more time spent walking than shooting!!

Advantages are that they’re lightweight, easy to walk in, and the boots tend to be far more robust than any that are ‘attached’ to the waders.
Leaks come, but can be fixed relatively easily… until they’re completely knackered.

If you have to go neoprene, then Snowbee isn’t a bad place to start.

decathalon/solognac 500 neoprene waders.  had them 3 seasons at lindisfarne they get worn in the river fishing in summer.  cannot fault them.  shoulder buckles on back away from gun mount point,  heal moulds for mud patterns, shell holder, phone holder, repair patches and 2 year warrenty.im so sold on all the solognac gear i should be a rep by now. all my pigeon gear is the same until they pulled the line from the UK.

even the binos stand up price to performance wise

On 20/10/2023 at 10:44, Smokersmith said:

I use stocking foot waders … typically breathable….

Again .. more time spent walking than shooting!!

Advantages are that they’re lightweight, easy to walk in, and the boots tend to be far more robust than any that are ‘attached’ to the waders.
Leaks come, but can be fixed relatively easily… until they’re completely knackered.

If you have to go neoprene, then Snowbee isn’t a bad place to start.

I like ‘breathables’ for summer fly fishing. If worn heavily (I do fish a lot) they don’t last however. I can easily wear them out in a single season. They may last OK for occasional wildfowling (?), I don’t know. 

I also find that the boots fill up with mud. I suppose it depends on just how much muddy water you’re trudging through. Just my experiences, for what it’s worth……🙂

On 20/10/2023 at 14:40, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Have bought dirt boot neoprene mallard waders. Used them last weekend wildfowling. All good so far

Good luck with them. Mine lasted a couple of months (moderate use on the foreshore) 🤐

11 hours ago, Fellside said:

Tuck the bottom of your trousers in to long socks. They should hold all day. 

I do the same ,  find it dead easy to get your boots on and off with the bottom of your trousers tucked into your socks , I also do that from the comfort of my arm chair when I go on our shoots , save that bending about when I get there if my ole back is a bit on the stiff side .  MM

12 hours ago, Fellside said:

I like ‘breathables’ for summer fly fishing. If worn heavily (I do fish a lot) they don’t last however. I can easily wear them out in a single season. They may last OK for occasional wildfowling (?), I don’t know. 

I also find that the boots fill up with mud. I suppose it depends on just how much muddy water you’re trudging through. Just my experiences, for what it’s worth……🙂

Gravel guards stop the mud.

Ive been on this solution for around 15 years now, and normally get around 3 years out of a pair …. 

15 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Gravel guards stop the mud.

Ive been on this solution for around 15 years now, and normally get around 3 years out of a pair …. 

Yes I know what you mean re gravel guards. They help. I’ve been using stocking foot breathables since they were a thing. They’re great for walking big distances. For me it’s not walking through mud which is a problem, but more a mixture of mud and water - above ankle deep. It leaves a layer of fine mud inside - despite the guards. Not so bad in just mud alone. It doesn’t do any real harm, but gets a little messy when taking them off. The mud inside the boots isn’t big deal breaker for me, but the prices have got silly, especially as I wear them out a lot. When I look at them, there appears little expense involved in manufacturing. The margins must be huge, especially Simms, which I used to buy (I use other brands now). I also find the PVC types easier to wash down when they’re caked in mud. The fine fabric texture of the breathables is harder to wash off. Both types will tear on sharp ice and need equal caution. There you are, I don’t think there’s a right or wrong choice, it just comes down to personal preference and terrain. That’s my wader ramble for what it’s worth. If anyone has stayed awake to this point, we’ll done……🙂

6 hours ago, London Best said:

Does nobody still use rubber thigh waders? 
I only ever had two pairs throughout my wildfowling days, which lasted more than 25 years.

I remember those - proper Indian rubber. They lasted for ages. Arrived treated with chalk dust to stop them sticking together. Not made anymore sadly. 

I use my more expensive waders for fly fishing and cheaper waders for Wildfowling reasons being I got stuck in the deep mud at 4 in the morning carrying a shotgun in slip and army rucksack full of decoys few years back Long story short my mate had to pull me out after I unhooked the straps around my shoulders Waders were in the mud for few days before I was able to dig them out After the fog lifted So buy cheaper waders there fine for ducks 

On 24/10/2023 at 16:00, London Best said:

Does nobody still use rubber thigh waders? 
I only ever had two pairs throughout my wildfowling days, which lasted more than 25 years.

Some of the best were Bullseye , these came in full thigh boots , three quarter thigh boots and the knee length ones , I had both full and the three quarter ones and in time they leaked where they were turned down more times than they were full length , I have still got a pair of the knee ones and they could well be older than the pairs you had , this is because they brought out warmer ones and for many years I used Hunter Balmoral with the warm lining , after about two years of constant wearing they started to leak and the ole pair of Bullseye come out of retirement until I got another pair and even after all the years I have had them they are still fully watertight , but also still cold when the ole temp drop down a bit . 

I dare say you were fowling in the same era as me and yours could have well been Bullseye because there wasn't many more brands about at the time .   MM

On 31/10/2023 at 18:46, marsh man said:

Some of the best were Bullseye , these came in full thigh boots , three quarter thigh boots and the knee length ones , I had both full and the three quarter ones and in time they leaked where they were turned down more times than they were full length , I have still got a pair of the knee ones and they could well be older than the pairs you had , this is because they brought out warmer ones and for many years I used Hunter Balmoral with the warm lining , after about two years of constant wearing they started to leak and the ole pair of Bullseye come out of retirement until I got another pair and even after all the years I have had them they are still fully watertight , but also still cold when the ole temp drop down a bit . 

I dare say you were fowling in the same era as me and yours could have well been Bullseye because there wasn't many more brands about at the time .   MM

Sorry for slow reply, been away since Tuesday AM shooting in Shropshire. 
Yes, Bullseye seems to ring a bell, but cannot remember where they were purchased. I was ‘fowling from 1965 until around 1992/3. During that time I only had two pairs of thigh waders. As you said, they eventually leaked where they were turned down.