Change to the highway code

Bigbob

Has there been a change to the highway code when you come to a roundabout and want to go straight over , You take the left hand lane put on your right indicator and go straight over the roundabout ?> 

Then at traffic light why do folk sit one or two car lengths back from the lights ?> 

I once drove with a lady who insisted that straight on at an island called for first a left signal then a right one followed by another left. Just could not convince her. Also what has happened to the give way to pedestrians at junctions. The pedestrians just dont seem to want to comply.

I have seen people sit back from the lights so they can see them as in some cars the roof is low and your ducking down to see them. 
mothers to activate the pad to let the lights know there is a car there. Too far forward and they won’t change 

The reasoning behind not pulling up to the line is:

If struck from behind you'll not be forced out into traffic, alternatively: If you see someone about to hit you from behind ,you have room to move forward without straying into traffic.

I used to do insurance assessments for HGV drivers who had frequent collisions and stopping at least 5 yards or one car length behind the line was an insurance "recommended" requirement. I had to go along with it despite the fact that in a Class 1 HGV (CE) weighing up to 44 tons, you'd hardly be likely to be pushed anywhere.

What you might be seeing is someone who has had a recent assessment as a judged insurance risk practicing what they have been re taught. There are several other things taught as well.  It's all about reducing risk and reducing premiums. 

I drive artics for a living and if I had a £1 for every piece of p poor driving I see each shift that goes against the law and or Highway Code I’d be a very rich man.

As was pointed out by 357shooter, people just do not care anymore, road manners have all but disappeared and the amount of reckless /dangerous driving is astonishing. As for the Highway Code and a possible change…..I wouldn’t even worry about it as seemingly no one else follows it or cares about it. 

drive safe 👍🏻

Had one of my HGV1 drivers pull up to the line on a traffic light controlled crossing, he didn’t see the old man stumble and fall directly in front of him, as he was too close to the crossing, lights changed and the old man was crushed to death.

The driver never recovered from the incident and never got behind the wheel again.

Always give yourself full view of the crossing…

5 hours ago, Red696 said:

Had one of my HGV1 drivers pull up to the line on a traffic light controlled crossing, he didn’t see the old man stumble and fall directly in front of him, as he was too close to the crossing, lights changed and the old man was crushed to death.

The driver never recovered from the incident and never got behind the wheel again.

Always give yourself full view of the crossing…

Which is why proximity mirrors became standard and a compulsory retro fit.  No mirror, no test pass.

On 02/11/2023 at 15:29, Wymondley said:

There's a lot of people on the road that have never passed a driving test, certainly not a UK one.

Just like the car tax scenario, officialdom doesn't  give a rats rear as long as they can keep publishing garbage to be ignored?

On 27/10/2023 at 12:24, Bigbob said:

Then at traffic light why do folk sit one or two car lengths back from the lights ?> 

I always stop so I can see the rear wheels of the car in front. After years of driving emergency vehicles, there is nothing more embarrassing than trying to get out of a queue with blues and two's on  😄

In fact it was advice given to women driving alone, at one time. We went through a phase of car jacking or handbag snatches from lone women drivers, stopped at traffic lights. By stopping back from the vehicle in front, you did at least have an escape route. Strangely enough, whether it is due to more CCTV and dashcams about now, but those offences seem a thing of the past, plus of course, auto door locking.

Edited by Westley

What i am witnessing more is cars going straight over the roundabout sit in the middle of the junction straddling both lanes  then take the lane nearest the roundabout then take there exit . I thought for going straight over you took the left hand lane and put your indicator on when you passed the first exit or came near your exit  

On 27/10/2023 at 15:37, JKD said:

I could write a 100 page book per week about the pee poor driving that I see down here in the Saarf East 🥴🤬 How I don't see any accidents/crashes is baffling !!!

I know, amazing isn't it.

4 hours ago, Bigbob said:

What i am witnessing more is cars going straight over the roundabout sit in the middle of the junction straddling both lanes  then take the lane nearest the roundabout then take there exit . I thought for going straight over you took the left hand lane and put your indicator on when you passed the first exit or came near your exit  

Left hand lane, no need to indicate if going straight across.

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

You indicate off a roundabout, even when going straight over, all except mini roundabouts.

Things have changed, I believe it would now be a minor on a test to not indicate off a roundabout. Seem to remember a conversation with a driving instructor friend, about this subject. But I might be wrong, he may have said it was good practice to do it.

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

I know, amazing isn't it.

Yup,,,, that A13 appears to be outside the jurisdiction of the highway code. Similarly the A127 😲😂 And similarly the A2, M2, M20 and all roads leading to and from !!! Actually, etiquette and manners don't exist anywhere on the roads 🤬

On 14/11/2023 at 18:13, Newbie to this said:

You indicate off a roundabout, even when going straight over, all except mini roundabouts.

Things have changed, I believe it would now be a minor on a test to not indicate off a roundabout. Seem to remember a conversation with a driving instructor friend, about this subject. But I might be wrong, he may have said it was good practice to do it.

I did a doddering old **** driving assessment last year. My none indicating at a roundabout and a  left turn at traffic lights without indicating, were the only things he could fault me on in a 2 hours drive, including motorway. I did ask to whom I would have been indicating, as there was nobody else at either the roundabout or the traffic lights. I did not push the issue as they were the only things he could pick up on. I did not mention my previous employment, but he guessed it after a short time. One giveaway was the constant use of my mirrors and another, my positioning on the road, apparently.

Tyres and Tarmac indeed, Gordon.