Storm Ciarán

JohnfromUK

The forecast was predicting low barometric pressure, but it took my barograph 'off the scale' with the pointed actually going not only off the paper (which I have seen once before as the paper goes to 28.5") but off the recording drum (and making a nasty inky blot on the base!).  As a check, I read the mercury barometer; actual read value was 28.19” of Hg at 59ºF.  This translates to 28.27” at the ‘standard temperature of 0ºC (32ºF), and when corrected for altitude above sea level (about 120 feet) is 28.14” of Hg or 953 millibars.

In spite of that, it is nearly still here at present (not much wind overnight either), but we have had around 3/8" of rain overnight, and still light drizzle falling.  I expect more wind later.

CAAB6C22-A643-410F-A2BC-5C11863AFA51_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by JohnfromUK

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from my morning dog walk and right now it is heavy rain and very strong wind , seen it worse but it could certainly be a lot better , just been reading where a lot of the Broads are very high with water coming over the embankment , the coastal houses are not to bad as the wind is blowing slightly off land and not inland , I don't think it is bad enough to be given yet another Yellow warning as to be honest they mean very little if you can mostly carry on as normal and drive safely to the conditions .   MM

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

The forecast was predicting low barometric pressure, but it took my barograph 'off the scale' with the pointed actually going not only off the paper (which I have seen once before as the paper goes to 28.5") but off the recording drum (and making a nasty inky blot on the base!).  As a check, I read the mercury barometer; actual read value was 28.19” of Hg at 59ºF.  This translates to 28.27” at the ‘standard temperature of 0ºC (32ºF), and when corrected for altitude above sea level (about 120 feet) is 28.14” of Hg or 953 millibars.

In spite of that, it is nearly still here at present (not much wind overnight either), but we have had around 3/8" of rain overnight, and still light drizzle falling.  I expect more wind later.

Wind getting up around midday and peaking around 7pm in London, according to the Met Office. 

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

That looks a lovely barograph. We used to have something similar in the safety office when I worked at the pit with a glass cover. I got the job to change the "paper" in the early 80's. 

2 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

That looks a lovely barograph. We used to have something similar in the safety office when I worked at the pit with a glass cover. I got the job to change the "paper" in the early 80's. 

This has a glass cover, but lifted off for the photo or all you get is reflections!

Its days like this that I wish I didn't live perched on the cliffs, with an uninterrupted view across the Channel to France.
It was low tide first thing (7am) and we had very high winds, torrential rain and the seas were just white foam as far as we could see.
The tide is now turning and the wind (now 40+mph) and rain has moderated, but the seas are very rough and looking at the radar it seems we are experiencing a lull, with more **** to follow.
Guarantee there will be structural damage and flooding in Kent somewhere.
Its seems to be very concentrated along the southern coast and France.

Edited by Cranfield

Yesterday was odd here,(South West Kent) there were spells of monsoon rain showers of silver bullets and stair rods delivered  by heavy black cloudsI  but with bright sunshine at the sametime.  In the afternoon the rain stopped and I was able to get outside and have a good look around to see if a anything needed securing.   It was breezy but nothing to be concerned about. The situation was like that into the evening. At one point I looked outside and there was horizontal rain going past.  BUT at about 1 AM the road was bone dry. It reminded me of the night of the hurricane in 87. That night I went to a basc roadshow at a school in Maidstone and the weather had been very bad and how when I left the car park was bone dry.  It was breezy with leaves blowing about.  About 3am the wife woke me up and the storm was in full performance.

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

0728F036-CEDF-409A-8262-C5FCD24B63B8_1_102_a.jpeg

That's an incredible looking instrument.

20 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

Its days like this that I wish I didn't live perched on the cliffs, with an uninterrupted view across the Channel to France.
It was low tide first thing (7am) and we had very high winds, torrential rain and the seas were just white foam as far as we could see.
The tide is now turning and the wind (now 40+mph) and rain has moderated, but the seas are very rough and looking at the radar it seems we are experiencing a lull, with more **** to follow.
Guarantee there will be structural damage and flooding in Kent somewhere.
Its seems to be very concentrated along the southern coast and France.

I'm rather jealous, I like a good storm (providing it's not flooding people's houses or injuring peoe of course).

It must be an amazing view of it all.

2 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

That's an incredible looking instrument.

They aren't rare, but the downside is that the papers are quite expensive (about 50p each I think) and you use 1 a week.  Its clockwork driven.  They were made to Met Office spec in the 1950s and 60s., so it's about 60 or 70 years old.

That is very interesting apparatus John and thank you for posting it up as per harrycat request. 

A moderate wind and a bit of drizzle here overnight, better this morning with only a light wind and no rain. 

Tons of rain in the past month, in my 50 plus years here I never known a very local spot to flood so frequently. I drove through it the other morning and it was akin to the infamous 'rufford ford' and by the next morning the police had caudoned it off so I had to detour. :no: Sadly for several houses in the spot they are flooded out again and again, they now leave the sandbags in place all year round.

I am constantly astonished at the sheer volumes of rain that can fall, our small 8x6 office in the garden can fill the 100 litre water butt from 24 hours of heavy rain roof run off.

Just now, harrycatcat1 said:

Beautiful, thanks 👍👍 I wished that I'd "got" one before the place closed

Unfortunately now dealers charge a fortune.  Sometimes they come up in salerooms not too expensive.  I got mine many years ago in Aberdeen where I think the oil service industry used to have a lot they were replacing.

I had booked a half day to go clay shooting this afternoon. The shooting ground has read the forecast as wet and very windy for this afternoon and decided not to open as a result. 

Typically, its currently dry/ occasional showers with a light breeze. Unless the weather goes very south in the next few hours then it will have been very miscalculated forecast from the met office.