Macwet gloves

Acerforestry

Just now, Acerforestry said:

Anyone use these gloves in poorer condtions, years of manual work now catching up on my paws and keeping the damp out is making a lot of sense

They won’t keep the damp out I’m afraid as they’re not waterproof. 
I bought a pair donkies years ago in the mistaken belief they were, and they’re not, unless they’ve changed since then. 

No, they are still NOT waterproof, in fact they can be damned cold when wet. I use them all the time for clay shooting. For game shooting I use the fingerless woolen gloves that have a mitten that pulls up over your fingers. I buy them in the local market and keep around 6 pairs in my shooting bag. The wool will warm up when wet, but keep a couple of dry pairs in your pocket. I paid less than £20 for the six pairs. Have a look at golf gloves, they have a large assortment of 'winter' gloves, usually sold in pairs and they ate cheaper than shooting gloves. I bought a pair of leather golf gloves and treated the leather, although not totally waterproof, it takes a while for them to get really wet.

They are designed to give you predictable grip in wet conditions. Think soaking wet holding on to a golf club, or even a waterski rope. 

If you want to keep your hands dry, use something else.I love them, but I don't suffer with cold hands, even when wet. and I find them enough to ease the windchill. Best way to keep your hands warm is to make sure your arms are well insulated, so the blood is still warm when it gets past your wrists.

25 minutes ago, Stuarta said:

I have a pair of Macwet gloves and I think I wasted my money, the wet in the name led me to think that in wet weather they would keep my hands warm, all they do is soak up the rain and hold it close to your hands. They are not even warm in dry cold weather.

I agree. Mine fell apart into holes within a year. Best gloves I ever have are thin deerskin gloves made by Bianchi. They lasted for years and years. Superb.

Ok, so no better than standard neoprene type gloves i have from the likes of Percussion, still get wet and unfortunately hold the wet / cold against the skin and the only way round that is to carry about a dozen pairs. You are right about keeping the arms (and the rest of you) warm, in my case I have Raynaulds which means there is a limit to what you can do to get flow to the extremities (get an indoor job, I hear you say!)

I use Macwets all year round, I've had poor circulation for ages, when working many years ago i bought some Damart thermal thinsulate gloves (i dont think they make them as thin anymore) to wear under those cold rubber work gloves. They turned out great, i forgot i had 2 pairs and a couple of years ago i 'found' the second pair and i now use them underneath my winter pair of Macwets, hands still get wet but not too cold. If its really bad i dont shoot

theyre not warm gloves. theyre gloves that provide grip in all weather conditions and they excel at that imo and i wear them most of the year round .  my hunt for waterproof warm gloves with dexterity is still ongoing as i find the macwets fall down a bit on the foreshore but as someone else said  a pair of latex gloves under them does go a long way to keeping the cold out.

ive had a few pairs of macwets and im a big fan