OLD DRIVERS

DUNKS

Program on the box tonight on old drivers. What are your thoughts? I fall into that class but am very safe, I rarely drive above thirty mph so when I do hit things it's only gently. Trucks are a bit scary when they overtake me on the motorway. I always stop at islands and apply the handbrake also when joining a motorway. I can also easily read a clean number plate at ten yards.

Seriously though what are your thoughts and are we dangerous. From what I see I think a mini driving test for over 70s would be a good idea. An eye test at present is not compulsory and I suspect many old folk dont get tested even though it's free.

Edited by DUNKS

dont think a test is needed.............just a letter from the doctor saying you can see and havnt got dementia or some other brain desease...and your arms and legs work

if we go down that road of testing everything ...they will apply it to ownership of firearms

32 minutes ago, ditchman said:

dont think a test is needed.............just a letter from the doctor saying you can see and havnt got dementia or some other brain desease...and your arms and legs work

if we go down that road of testing everything ...they will apply it to ownership of firearms

And a letter to say, you dont come fae Nurfuk!

Edited by billytheghillie

Many drivers don't have the knowledge us older drivers have.

I make a big thing of leaving enough room for following cars to pass me on the inside by being just left of centre when turning right from a single carriageway road. I must have done that at least 50 times but not once has anyone taken advantage of it, seem they cannot comprehend it.

2 minutes ago, armsid said:

Ditchie is correct having more testing of our health will lead to coming into gun ownership revocation by the back door back on topic how many crashes are caused by older drivers compared to young ones?

I would say there is more fatal crashes by the younger generation, just my thoughts.

26 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

I would say there is more fatal crashes by the younger generation, just my thoughts.

Perhaps but the insurance companies are taking advantage of whatever figures and doubled my insurance as I am over 84. On a recent renewal I got quotes from 15 difference companies. All were within a few pounds of each other and astronomical. Two refused to quote. I have never had a claim.

Insurance companies think the biggest risks are younger drivers, but no-one clamours for a retest after a year's driving, to see if they are still up to scratch. 

Nonsense like the TV programme is just grabbing a cheap headline. 

It would be interesting to analyse accidents and motoring offences, including speeding, due care and attention, dangerous driving, drink / drug driving. TV programmes like Police Interceptors rarely feature older drivers - mainly scrotes with no licence or higher powered car drivers.

I watched my late father continue driving until the end of his life ......... with some concern.  However, he did tailor his driving to his (undoubtedly declining) abilities in a sensible way, notably;

• He stopped driving at night; although eyesight remained fairly good (and easily legal), he got dazzled more easily.
  • He only drove locally on roads he knew. 
  • We swapped him to a small automatic (Honda Civic) which he found easier.

It worked out fine, but we (family) knew that it should be watched and dreaded having to 'make him' give up.  We offered to drive him longer distances (mainly for funerals!) which he was happy to accept.

My late father was one of the wartime generation that was given his licence without taking a test.

If you drove whilst in the services, that was deemed good enough.

His driving skills were consequently suspect, however that didn't stop him driving until his late 80s. After he ploughed into parked cars on two occasions, we suggested that he got a mobility scooter instead. Surprisingly, he agreed.

My late father-in-law, same wartime scenario, was actually a very steady driver, but, in his late 80s, rammed his far garage wall on two occasions on the same date exactly a year apart and subsequently hit a car as he went straight across a mini roundabout that had not been there the last time that he had driven that road. He did give up driving after the police had had a few words.

It seems that the late 80s are a good time to have a reality check.

5 hours ago, Robden said:

I'm an old f**t but must be a very safe driver. When I look in the rear view mirror, I see lots of accidents that I've just missed due to my safe driving. 🤔

I'm the same. 

You get a good feeling knowing you taken them safely to where your going then its up to them. 

There was an old lady locally (friend of my parents) who drove a 1950(ish) Rolls Royce Wraith limousine right up until she died in her late 80's or 90s.  Used to do a lot of driving disabled and OAPs around for charity events, hospital visits etc.  Car was immaculately maintained and I heard local RR dealership gave her sponsorship/special rates as the car was used for so much 'good causes' work.  She always wore a uniform when driving for good causes.

When I am driving at the LEGAL speed limit, it is NEVER an OAP that is crawling all over my back bumper. Usually its a young Female driver. My weekly entertainment is sitting in the Supermarket car park and watching some of the clowns trying to park. What I find worrying is, they are also driving on the roads  !

11 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I watched my late father continue driving until the end of his life ......... with some concern.  However, he did tailor his driving to his (undoubtedly declining) abilities in a sensible way, notably;

• He stopped driving at night; although eyesight remained fairly good (and easily legal), he got dazzled more easily.
  • He only drove locally on roads he knew. 
  • We swapped him to a small automatic (Honda Civic) which he found easier.

It worked out fine, but we (family) knew that it should be watched and dreaded having to 'make him' give up.  We offered to drive him longer distances (mainly for funerals!) which he was happy to accept.

My mum is still driving at 86. She thinks she is fine but is most definitely not. We have taken her to the doctors for review thing that would decide ir and she is still driving.

Her eye sight is ok but her reactions have slowed. Often she forgets where she is going. She is an accident waiting to happen even if it will be at low speeds. 

42 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Young drivers should restricted to low HP vehicles. Too many high performance cars driven by low performance brains. 

As for older drivers if they are medically fit then why not ? 

Sounds good to me but they should be properly acessed to make sure they are.