INEOS Grenadier

Anyone got one / tried one?

When they were initially announced as a Land Rover Defender replacement with a price to match I was very interested but as time rolled on and the price increased the shine wore off a bit. Now that they are in full production and available at a hefty price I'm not really sure about it. The last Defender 110 XS USW I bought new in 2014 was about 35k. My current D Max V Cross a bit more. The Grenadier is 70k+. Are they really worth that?

Not seen one on the road yet, Ineos have a showroom in the middle of nowhere (Norfolk), right next to where I take my Toyota RAV4 (great service by the way), I have looked at them a couple of times but suspect bit of a risk to jump into the brand, often people looking round them though.

A heating engineer I know always used defenders as a work vehicle (Exmoor) and recently got rid of a 110 defender (10 years old I think) and came along in a grenadier. I had a good look around and really liked it. He loves it, done over 8 thousand miles and is driving it to Scotland on a skiing holiday with the family. Said He wouldn't have done that with the defender. Build quality was very good.

27 minutes ago, countryman said:

Same, it looks the business but I expect by the time it hits rip off Britain it will be Loto money

Still a fair chunk cheaper than the new Defender. 

Likely the same issues though, all these cars going over to electronics and systems that go wrong. 

They used to be so reliable cos they had minimal stuff that could go wrong in the first place. 

Emissions and the whichcraft to keep them low has had a fellow on our shoot have his Toyota hilux back to dealers more times in six months as his old one did in six years .

we have a inios dealership down the road they are still shifting them quickly!

Agriv8

i drive them off the ships at grimsby,bmw engine and auto gearbox,can,t drive them in a straight line!the steering is terrible,and the position of the key{left hand side of the steering wheel}is hidden,whoever designed these trucks did a **** job !!

17 hours ago, joknob said:

i drive them off the ships at grimsby,bmw engine and auto gearbox,can,t drive them in a straight line!the steering is terrible,and the position of the key{left hand side of the steering wheel}is hidden,whoever designed these trucks did a **** job !!

Interesting you should say that.  A friend of mine was on the list for one and had a demo (to replace his 10+ year old Range Rove TDV8) which gets used both on and off road - and cancelled after a test drive as he said the steering was more like an old Defender. 

He thought it good in many ways, but not good enough 'on road' for his particular needs.

Lots of comments on various sites and reviews mention the odd steering mainly concerning the poor self centering. The other common mention is the bulge / footrest in the driver footwell on RHD vehicles to accommodate the catalytic converter. I’m not sure my back and left leg could stand being forced to stay in one position on longer drives due to that bulge / footrest which limits footwell space so much. It is a solid enough chassis and body but some of the trim in those I have looked at has been poorly finished and anyone using bifocal glasses are going to have to lean right back to see the legends on the roof centre console switchgear - at least until you get used to which switch does what. The rear departure angle is not as good as it would first appear due to the location of the small fuel tank.

Expensive for a utility. I reckon it’s aimed more at lifestyle types who like the image or dream of going on expeditions to far off places. 

19 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Lots of comments on various sites and reviews mention the odd steering mainly concerning the poor self centering. The other common mention is the bulge / footrest in the driver footwell on RHD vehicles to accommodate the catalytic converter

Might be worth asking for a weekend test drive, put some mile on one and see how you feel?  The ergonomics on the RHD sounds like a proper howler to me, but then I never found I had issues with elbow room in my Defender, despite the fact everyone else complained about it.  I've only sat in a Grenadier at the game fair, but my 5' 9" /1.75m frame didn't seem to struggle.

22 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

anyone using bifocal glasses are going to have to lean right back to see the legends on the roof centre console switchgear - at least until you get used to which switch does what.

I'd assume that like the aircraft overhead panel concept it's based on, these are only switches you use rarely and not whilst driving at speed - like auxiliary lights.

23 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Expensive for a utility.

But this is still its undoing.  Even with price increases, a modern pickup will do 80% of what this does, for...60% of the money?

29 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Expensive for a utility. I reckon it’s aimed more at lifestyle types who like the image or dream of going on expeditions to far off places.

It is difficult to know what to get at present.  I was shooting on Saturday with a friend who has a new type LR Discovery - and he has had so much trouble that he (long time Land/Range Rover owner) swears he will never have another of their products.  His is 'awaiting parts' yet again at less than 2 years old.  Apparently the dealers have queues of cars with various failed electrical items (his are rear lights where the whole unit has to be changed at £600 as they have 'LED faults') and LR can't supply spares.  As it's a warranty thing, he is at LR's mercy and rear light clusters seem hopelessly unreliable (on his).  I'll just keep patching up my old Defender for the time being.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Unfortunately as we all know,theyre making vehicles for people who mostly will never use them for the supposed purpose the things were made for and subsequently diluting the product...even the useful Dacia Duster is now being sanitised for the road biased market,and look what happened to Skoda 4x4`s after the Yeti.....

2 hours ago, matone said:

Unfortunately as we all know,theyre making vehicles for people who mostly will never use them who buy them new

IF there was enough demand for a basic offroad vehicle, it would be made.  But there isn't, and manufacturers can't afford to appeal to the second hand buyers.

Don`t think you`re right ,there are lots of farmers who would rather have their Isuzu trooper/Daihatsu Fourtrack /Defender commercials etc,as they were capable and compact/manoverable whilst still good towing machines.The current bloated pickups are not handy for many peoples uses.

3 minutes ago, matone said:

Don`t think you`re right ,there are lots of farmers who would rather have their Isuzu trooper/Daihatsu Fourtrack /Defender commercials etc,as they were capable and compact/manoverable whilst still good towing machines.The current bloated pickups are not handy for many peoples uses.

+1. I know several who would go and buy a 'new' old style Defender tomorrow.  In fact I know 2 farmers who have a 'spare' put away ready for if the 'daily driver' gets written off/nicked. 

5 minutes ago, matone said:

The current bloated pickups

That is a good phrase.  We have one that comes on our shoot that doesn't go on some drives as it's too big to get up the track without scraping the hedges (which it's owner doesn't like).

Just now, London Best said:

Correct. Most of them are like trying to park an aircraft carrier.

Not quite as bad as a neighbour who had a HUGE (LHD) USA Ford followed by an even bigger Dodge RAM (also LHD).

Back on Grenadier, it seems that they no longer plan to produce a short wheelbase model (which would have been the one I really would have wanted to go for if I looked at one).  My current 90 is a really convenient size for me and what I do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2024 at 16:42, London Best said:

Correct. Most of them are like trying to park an aircraft carrier.

I'd quite like a squadron of Harriers on my Hilux; just think of the idiots I could wipe off the road; that or twin .50's on the roof.

Edited by Penelope

Looks like a cross between a G-Wagen and an old Defender. Cheapest is the two seat utility starting at £66K!

It might have won more friends had it been built in the UK.

As it is, it is ridiculously expensive. The cheapest Defender starts at £61K and I would argue is a far superior vehicle.

For that money you could buy one of the latest old style Defenders and a used new Defender.

Shoot host has one, first time out in the field drove through a frozen splash a piece of ice boke the flimsy plastic grill, ice then pierced the radiator!!!!

Car towed away with no time frame for repair, the owner not happy shortage of parts