Rough shooting opportunity

I live in Tiverton Devon and a local farmer friend asks us every year to come and have a walk around the farm to shoot the pheasants that build up in numbers and mess in the cattle feed.  Due to my dog recently passing away we are looking for some one to join us on Saturday 27 th who has a working dog that can flush the birds out of cover for us, we will be around 4 or 5 guns, if your thinking of replying you are welcome to shoot as well or if you prefer to just work the dog both is fine. Lunch provided (safe shooters only please)

31 minutes ago, devon fowler said:

Still nothing yet which to be honest I am quite surprised about. Going to really struggle without a dog!  

Thats a shame - sounds like a good day to be had

I wonder if most people are already out with it being the last Saturday in the season 

6 minutes ago, devon fowler said:

I think your right, I have literally asked so many shooting friends and they are all beating , picking up or shooting 

I would imagine 90% or more commercial and syndicate shoots are out this Saturday , we are and then this give us a few days to sort out a beaters day , we then try to pick a day when some of our beaters are going  on other shoots , our beaters day this year is on the 31st of Jan.    GOOD LUCK finding someone to take up your very generous offer .   MM

12 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

i can't believe nobody has taken up this offer 

I can believe it. 
Personally, I would not take up an offer to go roughshooting where I knew that it was really my just my dog they wanted to work and the offer to take a gun as well was secondary. Especially an invitation from a complete stranger who didn’t really want you there, just your dog.

Interesting take , although I had just thought given the cost of shooting these days some might feel that it was a good deal to join us in exchange for working there dog, as like I said I have recently had to have mine put down and them bringing a gun certainly wasn’t secondary I was merely pointing out that if they preferred to just work their dog and not shoot that that was fine. Providing lunch and drinks as well just thought it was a nice offer .

39 minutes ago, devon fowler said:

Interesting take , although I had just thought given the cost of shooting these days some might feel that it was a good deal to join us in exchange for working there dog, as like I said I have recently had to have mine put down and them bringing a gun certainly wasn’t secondary I was merely pointing out that if they preferred to just work their dog and not shoot that that was fine. Providing lunch and drinks as well just thought it was a nice offer .

A very kind offer, I’m sure, but not one that I, personally, would be inclined to take up. 
I just thought that my angle on it may go some way to explaining your lack of response.

10 hours ago, London Best said:

I can believe it. 
Personally, I would not take up an offer to go roughshooting where I knew that it was really my just my dog they wanted to work and the offer to take a gun as well was secondary. Especially an invitation from a complete stranger who didn’t really want you there, just your dog.

I wouldn’t consider it so much an invitation as a transaction. The use of the dog in return for a day out probably with like minded sportsmen. It’s an attractive proposition and how many a friendship is made.

11 hours ago, devon fowler said:

Don't worry he moans at everything i myself think it's a great offer   you do get shooters that don't often get a chance to shoot at pheasant and as Konor said a chance to meet new friends 

Edited by Rim Fire

15 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Don't worry he moans at everything i myself think it's a great offer   you do get shooters that don't often get a chance to shoot at pheasant and as Konor said a chance to meet new friends 

Appreciate that thanks that’s how I thought about it,  when my dog was a bit younger I would have been over the moon to join a day like that and get the opportunity to shoot and get some work in for my dog. Like you said it always leads to making new friends and with that more shooting opportunities. My friends and I do a lot of pigeon and crows for different farmers and all met through shooting 

I'm very surprised that you haven't yet been inundated with calls. It's likely the clash with beaters day that means that most who have a working dog and gun but don't get the chance to shoot are already engaged elsewhere. 

If it were not for my own beaters day and you were a tad closer I would have taken you up on it. 

Very generous of you to offer on an open forum given the hush hush nature of free sporting opportunities these days. 

You could well offer this out on the beaters and pickers up page on Facebook and see if there is anyone available who perhaps wasn't offered a beaters day this year. 

Take no notice of negative comments, I think its a great opportunity for someone with the chance of shooting a few pheasants whilst working their dog, plus as you say the possibility of it opening other doors to more shooting and just having a day out with like minded folk.

Great offer and opportunity for someone with little or no shooting.

7 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

I don't think that's a particularly kind comment, and I think it is a little uncalled for. It may be a jaded or negative comment, however it does hold value. Even if just 1 person felt that way genuinely, does it mean it has any less meaning or importance?

------

I would agree with LB that the wording wasn't so great, however I do understand what the OP was intending to offer. Indeed as Konor said it is more transactional, gun+dog for food+shoot. It can just be a "free" shoot day, or it could lead to more opportunities.

That said, the wording that got me was a walk around the farm in Tiverton. If I were in a position to have a gundog I would have to consider:

• Distance of Tiverton from the majority of the country is some distance and time
  • Availability of a working dog
  • Ability to attend with little notice
  • Not already having a prior commitment
  • A walk around the farm sounds a bit rubbish (I am sure it's not, just the wording!)

That said you may get:

• A very happy doggo for "playing"
  • Some decent grub
  • Future opportunities
  • Some birds to shoot
  • Maybe some birds to take home? (this wasn't clarified)

There's plenty of negatives and positives. It's a shame I don't have a dog or I'd be tempted as it's only 2 hours drive away. Not a case of "if only I were closer", it's more "if only I had a gundog"! I think the dog and availability will be the biggest issue here for most.

@devon fowler I sincerely hope you get someone with a dog for the day and get a chance to have a really fun days shooting. I wish I could help, I would have happily come. Alas, no dog. Good luck and have a great day!

27 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

I don't think that's a particularly kind comment, and I think it is a little uncalled for. It may be a jaded or negative comment, however it does hold value. Even if just 1 person felt that way genuinely, does it mean it has any less meaning or importance?

------

I would agree with LB that the wording wasn't so great, however I do understand what the OP was intending to offer. Indeed as Konor said it is more transactional, gun+dog for food+shoot. It can just be a "free" shoot day, or it could lead to more opportunities.

That said, the wording that got me was a walk around the farm in Tiverton. If I were in a position to have a gundog I would have to consider:

• Distance of Tiverton from the majority of the country is some distance and time
  • Availability of a working dog
  • Ability to attend with little notice
  • Not already having a prior commitment
  • A walk around the farm sounds a bit rubbish (I am sure it's not, just the wording!)

That said you may get:

• A very happy doggo for "playing"
  • Some decent grub
  • Future opportunities
  • Some birds to shoot
  • Maybe some birds to take home? (this wasn't clarified)

There's plenty of negatives and positives. It's a shame I don't have a dog or I'd be tempted as it's only 2 hours drive away. Not a case of "if only I were closer", it's more "if only I had a gundog"! I think the dog and availability will be the biggest issue here for most.

@devon fowler I sincerely hope you get someone with a dog for the day and get a chance to have a really fun days shooting. I wish I could help, I would have happily come. Alas, no dog. Good luck and have a great day!

you can think what you want i think it is a fantastic gesture for someone to have a chance to work his or her dog on pheasant and have the chance to shoot 

He finds negativity on most posts