Women in Shooting

25% and 30% so on % more on the Basc team than the % that shoot nationally 

personally I’d rather people were employed on there ability to do the job than gender 

just my thoughts 

Totally agree. That is why I question if there is a need tackle head on the fewer number of women in shooting. The opportunity is there for all. The minute you concentrate on one section of society, another group suffers.

BASC should be trying to get more people into shooting full stop. It is already all inclusive. I don't recall clay shoots asking new shooters what their pronoun was or asking about their religion.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LGBTQQIP2SA: any combination of letters attempting to represent all the identities in the queer community, this near-exhaustive one (but not exhaustive) represents Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Pansexual, Two-Spirited, and Asexual.

I certainly do hope that BASC develop a good project to attract more women in to shooting. Many (not all) are reluctant to join such a male dominated group. The first thing they usually ask if curious is ‘where can I join a women’s clay club’ or similar. Often it is much more comfortable for women to be around other women, at least during the initial learning and confidence building, for support etc. 

If Conor or anyone from BASC would like to get in touch with me, I have quite a few mums (of children I have been teaching to shoot) who are really keen to have a ladies clay shooting experience. They just don’t know where to start. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

I certainly do hope that BASC develop a good project to attract more women in to shooting. Many (not all) are reluctant to join such a male dominated group. The first thing they usually ask if curious is ‘where can I join a women’s clay club’ or similar. Often it is much more comfortable for women to be around other women, at least during the initial learning and confidence building, for support etc. 

If Conor or anyone from BASC would like to get in touch with me, I have quite a few mums (of children I have been teaching to shoot) who are really keen to have a ladies clay shooting experience. They just don’t know where to start. 

Thanks, I will PM you.

As regards some of the other comments some articles with a wider context that may be of interest here:

https://basc.org.uk/a-sense-of-belonging/

https://www.scribehound.com/shooting-talk/s/game-shooting-census/how-many-women-are-involved-in-shooing-really

The landing page for BASC's women in shooting is here:

https://basc.org.uk/women-in-shooting/

4 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thanks, I will PM you.

As regards some of the other comments some articles with a wider context that may be of interest here:

https://basc.org.uk/a-sense-of-belonging/

https://www.scribehound.com/shooting-talk/s/game-shooting-census/how-many-women-are-involved-in-shooing-really

The landing page for BASC's women in shooting is here:

https://basc.org.uk/women-in-shooting/

Could you please tell us how many female members there are in Basc % 

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Could you please tell us how many female members there are in Basc % 

I don’t know the answer to that one Old Farrier - but my guesstimate would be ‘not enough’. There has been significant growth in female participation (both fishing and shooting) in the USA. We could do with that here. 

18 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Oh dear!  You go from bad to absolutely ridiculous!

Bang on Weihrauch.  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

T

6 hours ago, London Best said:

I’m afraid that LGBTQQIP2SA lost me at the second Q.

Can anyone please translate into Anglo-Saxon.

I lost interest at ‘L’

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

The more people taking up field sports the better

This. I don’t agree with some of what Connor says, but I’ve no problem with his comments here.

If someone has a legitimate interest in shooting, then let them shoot. The more of the population that shoot, the better is it for all of us, especially with a Labour government looming. Unless BASC suddenly starts celebrating pride month and hanging rainbow flags up in June, then I don’t think they’ve gone woke.

It was the Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club era that shifted the percentage of shotgun licence holders from 4.5% to 6% and that was freaking years ago. I had to file a FOI request for that data back in 2013 or maybe 2014. 

I have tried to get the wife, previous girlfriends and female friends into shooting for over 25 years, at considerable personal expense and nearly all of them have given it a go at least, some have taken it further than others but none that I know of have taken it up as a hobby. Perhaps they just don't want to do it? Are we going to force them into it to meet some quotas?

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Think the s stands for straight. So that's every body included.  So scrap all the letters and just put the word people .

As I understand it the 'S' is with regard to '2S' in the acronym which is 'two spirit'. The links below show how tolerance and understanding goes back a long way. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/oct/11/two-spirit-people-north-america

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-spirit

8 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

As I understand it the 'S' is with regard to '2S' in the acronym which is 'two spirit'. The links below show how tolerance and understanding goes back a long way. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/oct/11/two-spirit-people-north-america

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-spirit

Think  s is for straight and if not why not ? I thought the whole idea is for inclusion .why exclude the majority of people .that sounds like division.

I  have zero idea what 2s could possibly mean 🤔 that you mentioned . 

10 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Totally agree. That is why I question if there is a need tackle head on the fewer number of women in shooting.

6% of all licence holders are female.  More people in shooting can only be a good thing.  I'd suggest it's better to concentrate your resources where you can make the most difference.

I also don't buy the idea that BASC (or any other organisation) is incapable of campaigning on multiple fronts, that somehow sorting a few ladies events means they can't be responding to HSE lead consultations or other work.

3 hours ago, ehb102 said:

It was the Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club era that shifted the percentage of shotgun licence holders from 4.5% to 6% and that was freaking years ago. I had to file a FOI request for that data back in 2013 or maybe 2014. 

FWIW: My ex-partner did join one of these lady-only clubs - she found it a bit clique-y and too "daddy's estate" for her taste, she preferred to come to our straw-baler clay shoot, or for us to occasionally go to Mendip as a couple.  No interest in game.

I think the BASC (or other org) overseeing some support between various clubs and commercial operations and providing guidance/best practice has got to be a good thing.

I like the idea of trying to gain more female shooters. Barbury do a great job at having "The Belles" and they have a successful shooting fraternity made up of women.

On a balance, some people are disappointed that often a lot of stands are taken out of action for "women only" events, so then you have a debate of affirmative action vs positive discrimination. Be careful, positive discrimination is still very much illegal and is often covered up by rhetoric of trying to give fairness and balance, but by discriminating. For the record, I am all for affirmative action, and I hope BASC go the right route. See Colin Port trying out positive discrimination for A&S Polce (spoiler: it didn't end well).

Then you have a case of a regional Police force who tried desperately to "have a Constabulary that is reflective of the community". They spent a lot of time and money trying to recruit more persons from a Sikh and Gurkha descent. In short it fell flat, because they mostly just didn't want to do. There are a few reasons and I am not opening that can of worms here, and it also caused issues with fast tracking of ethnic minorities purely for good credentials, rather than trying to employ the best workforce possible.

I would wish (if I were a member) for the money being pumped into this by BASC to tackle issues that are real to current shooters, rather than an agenda to get B-Corp or something political that actually doesn't help anyone. I would prefer seeing the efforts into ANY new shooter joining the sport, to enable the best chance of the future of shooting. If by those stats over 90% are male, then it would actually make more sense to target everyone fairly, and accept that probably 90% will be male.

As we opened the LGBetc lettering..... Connor; how many of that 93% that are male and 7% are female were that gender at birth? (I am not actually expecting an answer as I am positive you don't know - but we can't be talking about this subject in this climate without appreciating the nuance you are 5 years behind in BASCs overall statement)

5 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

it a bit clique-y and too "daddy's estate" for her taste, she preferred to come to our straw-baler clay shoot, or for us to occasionally go to Mendip as a couple.  No interest in game.

I've heard the same from some ladies only groups.... Shame. Mendip is nice, I like some of the new traps. Maybe see you (both?) there sometime for a couple of clays and a brew? 

The 2 ladies I know from Barbury; one has no interest and wants to shoot with the wider masses to have a "less girlie targeted day", and the other is of the opinion it's too clique-y. Shame, because Josh always puts a great clay layout on and as many stands are unusable during a ladies only shoot it can put a dampner on a day when you can only shoot the practice/beginner stands.

28 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

As we opened the LGBetc lettering..... Connor; how many of that 93% that are male and 7% are female were that gender at birth? (I am not actually expecting an answer as I am positive you don't know - but we can't be talking about this subject in this climate without appreciating the nuance you are 5 years behind in BASCs overall statement)

I don't know. It was another PW member who stated "Not enough LGBT shooting next?" that opened that aspect up. Which is important also as regards the inclusive nature of shooting. Overall, so far, I see an over reaction by a few people on this forum to a topic that was shared a week ago by BASC on Facebook and Twitter with no drama whatsoever - all positive. So perhaps we should ask why on this forum why a small number of people are triggered by an article that is about encouraging more women into shooting and why so many more people are viewing this thread but making no comments?

So 90+% of shooters are male most will have partners and have the opportunity to have a go or at least the opportunity 

why don’t they take up shooting? 
because they probably prefer other things 

as a note here 97% of my clients are female so shooting isn’t a anomaly certain sports hobbies and jobs will always have more of one gender than another 

do I encourage more male’s?  No

do I encourage more people in general ? Yes