farmer struggling

marmite

Hello, on my friends farm they have lost acres of land due to flooding and will not be able to get on the land for planting, i am not sure farmers can claim money off DEFRA maybe  for this but it may lead to a big drop in farming profits ??

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Speaking to a local recently who travels round a lot of the farms - all are suffering poor growth of crops right now as it has been so wet.  We have had a very mild (very few frosty nights) but the ground is completely waterlogged and the crops roots are suffering.  Apparently root growth is way behind where it should be - and IF it was to suddenly switch to hot and dry, the plants will not have developed enough root to survive.  I imagine root vegetables and potatoes will also be badly affected. 

In contrast - grass round here is doing well.  We will have to eat more meat!

And there is no sign of the rain letting up anytime soon. 

A wet day tomorrow, and wet next week, and no doubt as it's Easter and bank holidays next weekend, it'll pour down too.

Edited by Penelope

It seem a lot of places in the U K are worst off than down here on the east coast , yes we have had a really wet Winter and the upper river levels in the Broadland area are still very high , the worry is with the companies that hire boats out that go on the Broads are a lot of the bigger boats cannot get under a lot of the bridges with not enough head room , this is mainly due to the rivers and Broads being non tidal and all the surplus water haven't got anywhere to go , still it have been fairly dry lately and things might be better when the holiday season kick off in a few weeks time .

With farming things look a lot better than it did a few weeks ago , all our Spring drilling is now getting up to date and tractors are now pulling up a lot of what were the wet fields , some of our rape is very , very poor and one or two fields will be replanted with something in the coming weeks , so although things are not brilliant I dare say they could have been a lot worse .    MM

1 minute ago, Penelope said:

I'd argue that the Thurne system is tidal.

Probably not enough range for the boats though.

Yes you are right Paul and I should had stated that the higher levels of the river network where they end up a dykes , take the Yare at Yarmouth for instance , on a neat tide it is around six feet that come in and go out to sea , then with a Spring tide it can easily be double that , you then go up towards Norwich which is around 20odd miles away and the river end up as dyke where you can hardly get a gun punt up , these are the places where you get a lot of land flooding because the water just cannot get away in the more or less non tidal sections of the river network , this is where the water is fresh rather than salt and it sometimes  work the other way where you get a Easterly storm surge where it push the salt water up and it kill 1000s of fish as they are pushed into a dead end , this can also happen on the Bure that is mostly tidal down the Yarmouth end but at the other end then the water is very high and that is where the problem is with the hire boats , one of the main problems is at Potter Heigham and beyond .    MM

2 hours ago, Scully said:

No farmers I know planted winter barley as the ground was far too wet last year. They are pinning their hopes on spring barley as a result. 

same here, very little winter sowing due to a wet autumn and what did go in looks very poor, a lot of farmers are looking at spring sowing but talking to a couple of farmers the problem they are facing now is a corn seed shortage and high prices for seed when they find some.

5 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

Round here, it rains, fields flood, it stops, eventually the water subsides then it starts raining again and fields flood again.

I think we've had a decade of rain fall in 2 months.

I think that's been the country as a whole.

How's this for tidal...

Screenshot_20240312-134556_Gallery.jpg.67b7fd1f1e49e0178bdcb25f9b25b156.jpgnormal..

Screenshot_20240312-134613_Gallery.jpg.3d388aaf71cbd873993cc963fd2e2211.jpg

The lane I'd driven down earlier was flooded as were the surrounding fields, flat as a Mill pond.

I also noticed a few fields along the M6 last week still had stubble on them, probably because they can't get on them.

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

This is mainly due to the Broads being non tidal 

We hired a cruiser on the broads many years ago and we moored up for the night, guy that took the fees said to leave about 10ft of slack because as the tide goes out it will drop.

We did but we’re still about a foot too short and boat was lilting to one side in the morning.

:shaun:

We must be very fortunate in the South East and whilst we have had a decent lot of rain, all the rape is now a mass of yellow, winter wheat is doing really well, as are two fields of recently drilled oats.

OB

9 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

We hired a cruiser on the broads many years ago and we moored up for the night, guy that took the fees said to leave about 10ft of slack because as the tide goes out it will drop.

We did but we’re still about a foot too short and boat was lilting to one side in the morning.

:shaun:

You should had used an elasticated rope Shaun :lol: , most of the rivers leading up to the Broads are tidal with the salt water coming in from the North sea on a flood tide and going back out on a ebb tide , but the deeper you go into the Broadland area then the less tides you will get ,  looking on the Hickling Broad website it state , the Broad is subject to a small variation in water height and is brackish , brackish is where the water turn from salt to fresh as a lot of the fresh water fish couldn't cope with the salt water that you would get in the more tidal rivers closer to the North sea , by the way Shaun , another bit of useless information , the biggest Pike caught on Hickling Broad was in March 2010 and weighed in at 42lb 8ozs.     MM

22 hours ago, martinj said:

I was surprised to see a local farmer fertilising what I thought was self sown OSR because it was so sparse. He said that they had drilled it just before torrential rain which washed the seeds downhill

Hello, That is interesting, i think a lot to do with these flood offs is Direct Drilling where before it was ploughed and if it rained it would soak through the soil better then  left compact after a direct drilling

54 minutes ago, marsh man said:

the biggest Pike caught on Hickling Broad was in March 2010 and weighed in at 42lb 8ozs.     MM

The biggest Thurne system fish is John Goble's fish of 45lb and it wasn't from Hickling.

https://www.facebook.com/teltales.co.uk/photos/arguably-the-best-uk-pike-ever-caught-john-goble-with-his-45lb-broads-monster/317445348392111/

The following two books have the history of all of the big fish from Broadland.

Blimey, didn't realise the asking price for this book, now, £250 - 350 😲. I was only skimming through my copy recently.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13085779189&dest=gbr&ref_=ps_ggl_20999527862&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4c_lr9eHhQMVMYdQBh0-iA1SEAQYAyABEgKCYPD_BwE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375316548626?chn=ps&_ul=GB&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=375316548626&targetid=1405537545058&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045999&poi=&campaignid=19926858371&mkgroupid=155977582267&rlsatarget=pla-1405537545058&abcId=9311017&merchantid=6995734&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4c_lr9eHhQMVMYdQBh0-iA1SEAQYCCABEgKjtvD_BwE

Edited by Penelope