BBC News

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Rst1990 said:

Out of curiosity why do you believe it’s absolute rubbish? Did you read or watch the program?

Well we will all fail, if you shoot pigeons or rabbits or foxes etc.

question, would your partner ever hurt an animal?

What happens in the partner answered yes to a single question like hurt a child? who’s word would they take then the partner or the applicant?

very subjective questions.

So Guilty again, rather than innocent before being proved guilty.

Edited by rbrowning2

11 minutes ago, Rst1990 said:

Out of curiosity why do you believe it’s absolute rubbish? Did you read or watch the program?

Bit fed up of non stop constant tightening and restrictions of all forms of field sports from all angles. I can’t see how it relates to abuse which obviously needs to be stopped. 
Might as well do it for a driving licence its got nothing to do with the price of cheese 

Edited by captainhastings

32 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Bit fed up of non stop constant tightening and restrictions of all forms of field sports from all angles. I can’t see how it relates to abuse which obviously needs to be stopped. 
Might as well do it for a driving licence its got nothing to do with the price of cheese 

It relates as the lady was being abused by a gun owner by shoving a semi auto shotgun in her chest. 

36 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

What happens in the partner answered yes to a single question like hurt a child? who’s word would they take then the partner or the applicant?

I think your over thinking this, 

anyone who hurts a child on purpose in my eyes are not fit to own a gun.

The only people who will fear it is the people who have something to hide.

i myself have got nothing wrong with it, ask any questions you like and my partner I have nothing to hide.

we don’t live in a fairy tale world where everyone is nice, some people are a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Just asking a question of are you a nutter tick yes or no obviously isn’t the way forward.

just my views

28 minutes ago, Rst1990 said:

It relates as the lady was being abused by a gun owner by shoving a semi auto shotgun in her chest. 

He won’t have watched or read it..  

a domestic abuse victim is nowhere near as valuable to some blokes as their shooting seem to be.  If that bloke had kept his licence and then gone on to murder her the same people moaning about the questions would be slagging off the police for not removing his licence sooner…

1 hour ago, rbrowning2 said:

There is a big difference to hurting an animal and shooting an animal.  Hurting an animal is seen as the first sign of a psychopath.

My feeling is that this is just another attempt to find an excuse not to issue/renew a license.

Will the FEO just send out the questionaries or visit the shooters partner? 

My wife was a lifelong "city" girl until she met me and was initially horrified when I told her I was a shooter. Although over time this has changed especially when I bring home birds I don't think she would be to bothered if I gave it up. So if the FEO was to ask, for instance, "are you comfortable having guns in your house?" what if she were to "I would prefer them not to be stored in the house"

A good reason not to renew?

I recently called my FEO (Gloucestershire) to enquirer about applying for a firearms license and the conversation went like this;

Me - I am thinking of applying for a firearms license (I already have a SGC) what is the process?

FEO - We are looking to reduce the number of licenses in Gloucestershire not increase them. What do you want it for?

Me - Deer stalking and target shooting. I am a member of a local target shooting club.

FEO - You would need your DSC1 first

Me - I have it

FEO - We would prefer it if you had your DSC2

Me - I am happy to work towards my DSC2 but as it is a more practical qualification it would be easier to do this with my own gun

FEO - Do have permission to shoot on any approved land?

Me - I am a member of BASC so would use their land and stalk with an experienced stalker until I am confident enough to stalk on my own

FEO - It would take a long time to process from receipt of application, probably 18 to 24 months

8 minutes ago, Red696 said:

There is a big difference to hurting an animal and shooting an animal.

And therein lies a problem.

Example; I shoot game and some mammals (e.g. rabbits, rats, squirrels).  My aim in shooting is always a quick clean kill.  Because I'm realistic and accept I don't always succeed - I carry a priest.  Overall, I do not see my shooting as 'hurting' an animal.  However, there are others who see any form of live quarry shooting as 'hurting' animals.  They have a different viewpoint.  How are the police/licensing office staff to decide whether a 'yes' response to these questions is a real 'risk', or just a response from someone who doesn't like any form of killing live quarry?

I certainly know people who shoot mainly clays, but do have an occasional few shots at game/vermin with friends - and their partners would wholeheartedly disapprove - and very probably see it as 'hurting' animals.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Be VERY careful how you answer any of these new questions.

Indeed - and there are those who would believe that killing anything (shooting, slaughterhouse, pest control or traffic accident) is hurting it.

Partners to be quizzed in new gun licence screening

Rhiannon Bragg Image caption,

Domestic abuse survivor Rhiannon Bragg helped police design the questionnaire

Kathryn Stanczyszyn
BBC News

• Published
    7 hours ago

The partners of all gun licence applicants are being asked questions for the first time as five police forces in England and Wales seek to strengthen licensing processes.

The forces - Gwent, the Metropolitan Police, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire - are testing a questionnaire designed to build a more detailed picture of anyone who wants to own a gun, with a particular focus on domestic abuse.

The initiative, called Project Titanium, has been developed by Gwent Police with the help of domestic abuse survivors.

It has already resulted in some applications being refused or existing licences being revoked.

Insp Jodie Davies, from the force's firearms licensing team, said: “We are absolutely not saying applicants will be domestic abuse perpetrators, but any opportunity to gather information is welcome.

"We've had one case where the partner was contacted and stated that she couldn't speak to the firearms officer at her home because she was being controlled and coerced.

"The officer met with her in a different location, she disclosed a number of serious concerns, that licence was then refused and we were able to put safeguarding in place for that person."

Insp Jodie Davies sitting at a table Image caption,

Police say public safety is the priority when it comes to reviewing applications

Gun licences are currently reviewed every five years, but campaigner Emma Ambler is among those who want to see stricter controls such as annual reviews.

Her sister Kelly Fitzgibbons and her two daughters were shot dead in Sussex in 2020 by partner Robert Needham, a licensed gun holder who then killed himself.

The Project Titanium questionnaire is not a legal requirement but applicants who refuse to engage or share their partner’s details can face an automatic refusal.

More than 5,000 applications have been subject to the additional questions since the trial began last year.

Insp Davies said: "We’ve had seven cases during this trial where we've either refused or revoked a licence; that is seven cases that potentially could have gone on to domestic abuse homicide."

Public safety

Gwent Police said its firearms licensing officers were trained to risk assess scenarios which may raise red flags about an applicant.

It said partners were interviewed alone, either in person or in vision remotely, to make sure their answers were as truthful as possible.

Even when there was a risk someone may not be able to be honest due to their domestic circumstances, the force said it opened an avenue of communication with police they may feel able to use in the future.

Rhianon Bragg, 51, was held overnight in August 2019 by her former partner, who began stalking her when she ended the five-year relationship. She has helped police design the questionnaire.

She said: "If Titanium was in existence at the time and I’d been asked the questions, even though I didn’t realise I was in an abusive relationship, the way the questions have been formulated may have started a thought process with me, thinking hang on I'm experiencing this - but it would absolutely have rung alarm bells for any officer that I was speaking to.

"Despite everything I've experienced I'm not anti-shooting. This is absolutely about having people who are responsible gun owners, responsible with their weapons and how they use them, who realise it is a privilege."

Just now, Dave-G said:

The fact it originates in Gwent is hardly surprising considering how stupid the politicos in Wales have become.

Next they will have forms for your next door neighbour to fill in.

It’s another ham fisted way of trying to ascertain suitability. 

The questions are bleeding obvious with yes / no answers and if you are coercively controlling your partner you’ll no doubt have some practice and be one step ahead of making sure to check the wife’s replies to any questionnaire, and if you apply you’ll know she’ll be receiving a questionnaire.

I can’t see the list of questions on the questionnaire but if they’re along lines as discussed above, it’s pretty clear what the answers should be 😆

I don’t know what the answers are, but stuff like this just makes me laugh in its naivety. 

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

don't fallout with any of your family….

Gwent Police said it had now extended use of the questionnaire to other family members, not just partners’

Mission creep. There'll be some who don't see what the issue is.

10 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

The fact it originates in Gwent is hardly surprising considering how stupid the politicos in Wales have become.

Nothing to do with the politicos in Wales this is Qwent police force in a nut shell they want all guns confiscated if they can if you remember i put up a thread about being a Referee same police force 

if they are that concerned they should send these forms to all households that have kitchen knives.

Especially as more people are killed each years by knives than guns.

This smacks of another anti shooting campaign - if they can't ban shooting they just ban guns!

Edited by ilovemyheckler

29 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

if they are that concerned they should send these forms to all households that have kitchen knives.

Especially as more people are killed each years by knives than guns.

This smacks of another anti shooting campaign - if they can't ban shooting they just ban guns!

This will push a lot of people to not bother with applying or renewing their tickets, the police dont want us to have guns simple.

3 hours ago, Rst1990 said:

The only people who will fear it is the people who have something to hide.

i myself have got nothing wrong with it, ask any questions you like and my partner I have nothing to hide.

we don’t live in a fairy tale world

And yet you still typed the previous 2 sentences.

The nothing to hide...trope has been demonstrated to be a fallacy so many times that invoking it should only be done with recourse to sarcasm or irony.

This is latest genius idea from Gwent is firmly in the 'backside covering' school of initiatives , and will likely help no-one.

2 hours ago, ilovemyheckler said:

FEO - We are looking to reduce the number of licenses in Gloucestershire not increase them. What do you want it for?

What did your organisation say to when you told them about this doozy?  That cannot be official, public policy, surely?