Thinking of getting pcp

B686

Hi been thinking of getting a new pcp for shooting mainly magpies and crows around where I live . Seeing 3 magpies attacking the moorhen chicks when they were on the lawn and the crows making the barn owls life a misery has spurred me on to getting a decent one. Have a shot gun but too many horses here. I like the look of the Daystate wolverine forester in 177. Any pros or cons anyone got or had one. Any info much appreciated 

i think ..folk who get the best use out of their PCP are people who take the time to learn how they work and are able to maintain them.....

PCP's work best when they are in tip-top condition

just my opinon.............

I had two BSA SCorpion T10. One in .22 that was as it came so unregulated and one in .177 that I had a regulator fitted by Ratworks in Newbold Verdon. Leicestershire. I found that the .22 didn't suffer from not having a regulator but that the shot count and more important shot consistency was much improved (in my mind) by fitting the regulator. 

In the end I sold the .22 as I found that the flatter trajectory of the .177 was a better advantage given that my quarry is, and was, only grey squirrels which a head shot with either would kill. The secondary consideration was for shooting woodpigeon which I believe that a body shot with a .177 is a better killer than a body shot with a .22. Penetration kills.

Both the guns were sub 12 ft/lbs and I used heavier than usual for calibre pellets. In .22 this was Bisley Gold and in .177 it is Bisley Magnum. If OTOH you are going down the FAC route much of what I have said goes out the window. The downside of course is having to buy a dive bottle and having to get it filled and that every five year pressure test cost.

35 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i think ..folk who get the best use out of their PCP are people who take the time to learn how they work and are able to maintain them.....

Yes and they seem to need to be used regularly

The seals don't like being left standing idle for long periods of time.

Edited by Vince Green

Hello, If you set on a 177 and budget allows i would look at a Air Arms S 410 or side lever 510, But to be honest a Daystate has never appealed to me if you take into account the main reviews, Saying this i nearly bought one but glad i went for a 410, the years i used it was faultless and still going after many years, Oh do not dismiss buying a good second hand PCP

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 hours ago, clangerman said:

my post in sporting pics title air raid should help you out 

Thanks for the replies 👍

Clangerman what is the rifle in pic is it an air arms? Fac?

I have had a hw 100 th in 177 for yrs, no problems nothing tweaked, sub 12, shot loads and accurate, if i was wanted for something better i would change it, but cannot see why, with modern developments probably could be better, but as i said, will not be changing it. 

21 minutes ago, barbel said:

I have had a hw 100 th in 177 for yrs, no problems nothing tweaked, sub 12, shot loads and accurate, if i was wanted for something better i would change it, but cannot see why, with modern developments probably could be better, but as i said, will not be changing it. 

Best pcp going hw100,

Had mine 6 years and 2 other hw100s before that, .177 all day long, 

Just now, big napper said:

Best pcp going hw100,

Had mine 6 years and 2 other hw100s before that, .177 all day long, 

And had no problems with rabbit pigeon or rats at close ranges out to 60+ mtrs

Another + for Hw100 ,had mine for a good many years now .

I sent it to the guy's at Ratwork's for a full upgrade last year ,turned a good gun into a fantastic gun .

image.jpeg.66fc2c3c21189fa9bc2949ecf1c8116d.jpeg

Edited by Jega

On 31/07/2024 at 19:10, ditchman said:

Not really mate, I've no idea what goes on inside my guns, like my car, I just shoot and drive, but I know my guns work well.

It comes down to budget, what you like and what fits you, best advice is always to try and shoulder as many guns as possible. 

I have owned most makes of air rifles available, and have hunted for 50 years and compete to a decent level in HFT around the country for the last 15 years, but I would keep clear of a Daystate as parts are not cheap and can be troublesome .

For a basic budget, simple but very accurate and reliable gun, I would look for an Air Arms 400 or 410, only in .177 for any pest species, especially feathered pests. BSA's are OK, such as the Ultra etc, and HW100s are lovely to shoot but overrated in my opinion, especially if you get a leaky one(yes I have owned one and stripped them down).

Dont discount an older Falcon either if you want accuracy and budget.

Oh, keep the cylinder filled and the seals will last for years all being well. Dont leave a PCP empty as it will ruin the seals and could rust more easily. O rings only seal when under pressure, and lose their shape when not under pressure.