Sheffield Air Rifle Shootings

TIGHTCHOKE

its about time the govt stopped messing about and started to exert a brutal control on these dangerous weordos...before it is too late...(and its gettting very close to that point of no return)

people must learn they cannot do what they want..........

56 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What on earth makes these people do this sort of thing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cvg5pl13g6no

52 minutes ago, ditchman said:

its about time the govt stopped messing about and started to exert a brutal control on these dangerous weordos...before it is too late...(and its gettting very close to that point of no return)

How long will it be before tighter controls are put on , or need to put on air rifle ownership , nearly every other week you are reading about Cats being shot with air rifle's , Swans and this week the police and R S P C A are investigating 10 Herring Gull found dead in a skip in Yarmouth :hmm:

Weak retribution is what leads to this sort of thing in my opinion. So many woke reasons/excuses for almost any bad behavior and dwindling prison spaces for an out of control/ unmanaged population explosion.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Weak retribution is what leads to this sort of thing in my opinion. 

It's a pretty serious offence now? ten years away? 

Its not the punishment but the association of punishment with crime and the linked immediacy

Starmer showed that with the riots. Swift justice linked directly to the offence. The harshest penalties in the world will not work without enforcement. 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

10 Herring Gull found dead in a skip in Yarmouth :hmm:

I know it is no longer legal, but Herring Gull used to be on Schedule 2 of the Protection of Birds Act, birds which may be shot at any time by authorised persons, that is, vermin. And quite right too! I cannot imagine the numpty who instigated their removal.

6 minutes ago, London Best said:

Likely. But they would probably stipulate that you were allowed to shoot two!

🤣 Yep that would be it. Here the farmer got a licence for starlings it was limited to 50. It was madness. 

Just now, oowee said:

🤣 Yep that would be it. Here the farmer got a licence for starlings it was limited to 50. It was madness. 

Once had a licence for Cormorants. There were dozens and dozens of them. Licence was for two. Never did manage that second one!?

Just now, London Best said:

Once had a licence for Cormorants. There were dozens and dozens of them. Licence was for two. Never did manage that second one!?

😁 Strangely I always struggled to get to 50. 

Edited by oowee

The way indiscriminate use of air weapons is going, we will end up having to have licenses as they now do in Scotland with all the additional problems that that will bring. More use of Police resources and time to register them all as firearms, logging on a computer system and issuing paperwork etc. Then how many people will come forward to get them registered (only the law abiding of course) the toe rags will just carry on as before as there will be no one to enforce it, which after all is the biggest problem in this country, so many laws (which only the law abiding are trying to adhere to) those that get caught, well..................................! does the justice fit the crime?

1 hour ago, nobbyathome said:

We don’t need tighter controls on air rifles you just need to punish the idiots that abuse them 

Is the most sensible answer probably?

More restrictions will inevitably affect genuine shooters more than the idiots?

Edited by old man

1 minute ago, old man said:

Is the most sensible answer probably?

More restrictions will inevitably affect genuine shooters more than the idiots?

Be careful what you wish for?

I'm not so sure, I'm on the fence with airgun licencing, on the one hand those that really want to shoot them will jump through whatever hoops, on the other those intent on criminal use will ignore the law, whatever it says.

Perhaps if it deters casual purchase and use that might be a good thing?

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What on earth makes these people do this sort of thing?

An absolutely appalling upbringing?

People? they were children including a girl, 15 to 18,  now out on bail, if they can get the "far right thug rioters" into prison within 24 hours why are these lot out?

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I know it is no longer legal, but Herring Gull used to be on Schedule 2 of the Protection of Birds Act, birds which may be shot at any time by authorised persons, that is, vermin. And quite right too! I cannot imagine the numpty who instigated their removal.

These are all being analysed and at least one was found to have been shot with a air gun , this was on an industrial estate and there are now a great many gulls that nest in the wide gutters and on the window ledges so no doubt some came to grief , but why leave them in the open on the skip , one or two in Black bags and no one would have been any wiser . :good:

13 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

I'm not so sure, I'm on the fence with airgun licencing, on the one hand those that really want to shoot them will jump through whatever hoops, on the other those intent on criminal use will ignore the law, whatever it says.

Perhaps if it deters casual purchase and use that might be a good thing?

An absolutely appalling upbringing?

People? they were children including a girl, 15 to 18,  now out on bail, if they can get the "far right thug rioters" into prison within 24 hours why are these lot out?

when laws are introduced,the only people it impacts are the "law abiding"

the delinquents/criminals/miscreants don't give a toss,cos the law/s doesn't/don't apply to them👍

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I cannot imagine the numpty who instigated their removal.

I'd bet my jacobs that Packham wasn't too far away from this👍

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

But, they are only children  !   🙄

It is a bit like the riots....kids up to the age of 18 whinging that they can't be touched as 'they are only children '  They were big enough to riot, give them the same treatment as the other rioters. Don't bail them to the custody of their parents, after all, that was seen to fail !  Keep them in custody. 

Edited by Westley

7 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

The way indiscriminate use of air weapons is going, we will end up having to have licenses as they now do in Scotland with all the additional problems that that will bring. More use of Police resources and time to register them all as firearms, logging on a computer system and issuing paperwork etc. Then how many people will come forward to get them registered (only the law abiding of course) the toe rags will just carry on as before as there will be no one to enforce it, which after all is the biggest problem in this country, so many laws (which only the law abiding are trying to adhere to) those that get caught, well..................................! does the justice fit the crime?

standard (*non fac) air weapons are not recorded on the air weapon licence in scotland.

johnnie

12 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

standard (*non fac) air weapons are not recorded on the air weapon licence in scotland.

johnnie

You might want to check that 😳

19 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Exactly,  if I had to get licenced I would and my guns are secure, there would be 1000s and 1000s of guns in cupboards and under beds still.

51 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You might want to check that 😳

the Scottish AWC licenses the person, not the airguns themselves. Once you have been granted a Scottish AWC, you can own and shoot as many airguns as you wish, subject to their power level not requiring a Section One FAC.