fox shooting with a rimfire??????

shawn9914

Hi All

i have a .22 LR sako rimfire i use for rabbits my question is would you use it to shoot a fox with i have seen quiet a lot of foxes on my permission and have got within 50 yds when lamping but i have never taken a shot at one as not sure the rimfire would do the job and obviously would never want to wound a fox only a clean kill would be good enough

the thing is have any of you ever taken a fox with a rimfire and if so how head shot, heart shot etc etc or is the gun just not upto the job thought about getting a 223 or something but i only have about 200 acres where the foxes are and not sure this would be enough for a 223 or larger caliber rifle

cheers shawn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use a 22LR for foxing, even with sub sonics. But you'd have to be close and accurate. You could use high velocity ammo, which will give you more 'punch'.

I would aim for the heart/lung area, rather than the head, because even if your rifle is accurate, if the fox moves it's head slightly, you could cause it a lot of suffering and pain, which I know is not what you want.

A centrefire rifle is your best bet, anything from a .222 upwards. 200 acres, should be more than enough for a CF.

Steve.

Do you have Fox with .22lr on your FAC ?? If not then ...................

A .22lr will clealy dispatch a Fox at sensible range but you must have it as a condition on your FAC.

I've been through this - out with my Hmr seen foxes but daren't shoot em - now have Fox with Hmr on FAC no prob :good:

Hi All

i have a .22 LR sako rimfire i use for rabbits my question is would you use it to shoot a fox with i have seen quiet a lot of foxes on my permission and have got within 50 yds when lamping but i have never taken a shot at one as not sure the rimfire would do the job and obviously would never want to wound a fox only a clean kill would be good enough

the thing is have any of you ever taken a fox with a rimfire and if so how head shot, heart shot etc etc or is the gun just not upto the job thought about getting a 223 or something but i only have about 200 acres where the foxes are and not sure this would be enough for a 223 or larger caliber rifle

cheers shawn

A .22LR will dispatch a fox as long as you use it at sensible range,I wouldnt shoot a fox with one at any more than 50 yards and would be looking for a head shot.

As Ive said before as long as you can be sure of proper bullet placement and your own ability to do this then you shouldnt have any worries.

A .223 would be a good choice if you were to go for a CF but you maybe should also consider a .22WMR.

hi

thanks for all the replies i think i will wait and get a rifle more suited for foxing would hate to injure an animal even if i did think YES I CAN TAKE IT it could move at the last minute and i may only injure it so would find that hard to live with so will wait i do have some winchester hollow point super sonics but even with their extra power i will gat a bigger gun so to speak :yes:

oh i have a sako varmint finfire by the way not a quad

thanks shawn

hi

thanks for all the replies i think i will wait and get a rifle more suited for foxing would hate to injure an animal even if i did think YES I CAN TAKE IT it could move at the last minute and i may only injure it so would find that hard to live with so will wait i do have some winchester hollow point super sonics but even with their extra power i will gat a bigger gun so to speak :yes:

oh i have a sako varmint finfire by the way not a quad

thanks shawn

Thats probably the most sensible approach, a 22lr will kill a fox and many fox's have been despatched successfully over the years but there are much better tools for the job. If you look at the latest fieldsorts tv offering on shooting foxs with a 223 and 22.250 you will see how well a .22 centrefire despatches them. In theory you should have fox on your license to shoot them and many police forces are unwilling to include fox on any rimfire, my force has done a complete 'U' turn of late, they would put fox down if you had good enough reason but now have retracted that. This isnt a bad thing as it means you have a bit more weight for a larger calibre that will also be legal for Muntjac an CWD if you have them on your license.

When I was a lad my uncle would shoot foxes with a .22. Mostly in those days at very close range, until I was about 30 I had never heard of anyone shooting them with anything other than a .22. But you have to place your shot, a foxes heart is lower than you might think. Sometimes I think the modern trend towards bigger calibres is at the expense of field craft. I have seen a few runners and a few dancers but a .22 is plenty good enough. Often they will spin round and try to bite the side where the shot went in before dropping. A good heart shot is all you need but it does take a few seconds for them to go down. If that causes you discomfort go for a .223 where it is instant.

Edited by Vince Green

My feo said that he has no problem with me shooting foxes with .22lr, but he can't put it down on the licence. :hmm:

He went on to tell me about a gamekeeper he knows who is in his late 70's and has been shooting foxes his whole life with a .22 rimmy :lol:

That sounds a bit Iffy to me, If he is unwilling to put it on your licence, I can't see him standing up in court and telling the judge he said it was ok for you to shoot them!

My feo said that he has no problem with me shooting foxes with .22lr, but he can't put it down on the licence. :hmm:

He went on to tell me about a gamekeeper he knows who is in his late 70's and has been shooting foxes his whole life with a .22 rimmy :lol:

Dont always believe that what the FEO tells you, as said, would he stand up in court and repeat that. The whole fox and vermin condition has been rattled around this forum a few times and it seems there is no clear definition and it is differant force to force. I had fox and vermin down on my hmr at one time, so obviously Gloucester force doesnt agree on fox being vermin. There is a reason FA depts put conditions on your license otherwise they wouldnt bother and I'm sure many shoot species that are not classified on a certain calibre rifle, it all depends how much you value your license and how lucky you feel.

Hi All

cheers shawn

A .22lr will kill any land mamal in the uk if you hit it in the right spot at 50yds, the question is were is the "right spot" at differing angles and also can you be sure of hitting it first time. If you do get it wrong the .22 will often fail to ancor it for a fast follow up shot. Areas differ as to what is allowed to be shot with a .22rf and what is not but you need to comply with the terms of your own FAC, arguing the case is all well and good and even if you are correct tecnically they can still revoke or make life very difficult for you.

Amount of acreage and grant of fac should not be linked by mere numbers IMO. I have seen thousands of acres that would be difficult to shoot safely and yet have attended a few of no more than four or five that were as safe as can be. I know some areas do this all i can suggest is state your case. Think about it how many centrefire certified ranges across the country are less than 200 acres (i have been a member of three)

A .22 Hornet upwards is the better rifle for fox but as you state 50yds then a heavy load of BB's or no1 from a 12 bore shotgun might be a serious consideration, it would be my first choice at that sort of range if the noise was exceptable. At least the 12 will be more versitile and can be obtained very cheaply if you do not already have one

You can use a 22LR for foxing, even with sub sonics. But you'd have to be close and accurate. You could use high velocity ammo, which will give you more 'punch'.

I would aim for the heart/lung area, rather than the head, because even if your rifle is accurate, if the fox moves it's head slightly, you could cause it a lot of suffering and pain, which I know is not what you want.

A centrefire rifle is your best bet, anything from a .222 upwards. 200 acres, should be more than enough for a CF.

Steve.

+1

Good advice Steve.

I've done it but wouldn't go out intentionally looking for Charlie with a .22

That pretty much sums it up. I've shot them out to 50 yards with the .22lr and they fall over no problem. Just chest shoot them as the .22 carries enough weight to get in to where it needs to and will often exit too.

Shot placement needs to be pretty good but it will work. Just keep it sensible and don't push your limits - close up a .22lr will kill most things. :good:

That pretty much sums it up. I've shot them out to 50 yards with the .22lr and they fall over no problem. Just chest shoot them as the .22 carries enough weight to get in to where it needs to and will often exit too.

Shot placement needs to be pretty good but it will work. Just keep it sensible and don't push your limits - close up a .22lr will kill most things. :good:

Norfolk lists fox on .22lr. I don't really shoot fox, but i've taken a few when asked> Usually whilst rabbiting so using the .22, without any drama. Like others have said, just be realistic with ranges.

I've read quite a few posts on this subject. Realistic ranges (or thereabouts) is often mentioned.

What constitutes a realistic range? Is it a distance, or out to where you are confident your round will hit where you are aiming?

Not planning on doing it, just curious as to the concensus of opinion of those who do.

Shaun,

the size of land does not decide the calibre,(well true to a point if common sense is used) You may find that the land is passed for 22 CF allready so i would apply for one ASAP. :good: You have good reason for asking for a CF so should not be refused as long as FEO is happy you have enough experience.

Incedently has the land got any houses surrounding it ie; housing estates ???

That sounds a bit Iffy to me, If he is unwilling to put it on your licence, I can't see him standing up in court and telling the judge he said it was ok for you to shoot them!

Why would you tell your FEO,and why would the matter come to court?I know plenty of blokes who have shot foxes with rf.If a farmer is out with his rf and finds a fox asleep on a pile of silage,well within range,I doubt he's going to go and get his centre-fire,even if he has one.Shooting rabbits with a shotgun is contrary to the Wildlife and Countryside act,but it doesn't stop people doing it.