Can you remember your very first CARTRIDGE?

A bit of nostalgia! How far back can you remember? (For the older ones, anyway!)

Mine was in the Summer of 1961. It was a paper cased Eley 'Maximum' and fired through a very light Italian single barrel Boehller Blitz 'Fusil Special'.

It hurt! I was a 14 year old skin and bone lad with little meat round the shoulder!

These shells, clearly in 70mm cases, were recommended for use in 65mm guns! This was printed on the box! At 34+ grams, they were vicious!

Edited by Floating Chamber

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eley Fourlong through a Webley and Scott 4.10.

Next up I was taken out with one of the farm hands with a single barrel 12 bore to shoot pigeons. The first time I was allowed to go on my own i was given 12 cartridges and told to come back with more pigeons than the cartridges taken. I wasn't allowed to shoot pigeons flying and I used to wait until there was a good group on the ground and then put a barrel in to them. My first return was 22 for twelve shots so I was allowed to go again. In those days the farm used to get cheap subsidised cartridges to keep the vermin down. I think the cartridges were Eley but can't be sure.

Edited by Whitebridges

Paper cased Eley fourlong no4 shot through a Belgian side by side folding 'poachers' gun with skeleton stock, at a pigeon! (I missed). Went on to buy the side by side a couple of years later after the farmer became ill and decided to give up his licence.

Ironically I've been pigeon shooting today with that very gun, and it accounted for my share of the bag just nicely.

Think I've owned / used it for 30 years

Eley grand prix 1 1/4 oz thro aya cosmos single.......and it stung....it was at a rabbit next to a metal water trough on the outskirts of kings lynn...its all built on now.

oh i got the rabbit.........think the shot deflected off the metal trough !!...

Frank Dyke or Shamrock, all stamped with Smokeless Powder because it was new then.

I can't remember the first time I fired them but I know that was all that was about at the time and priced around 12/6d a box.

My father said if you are going to use a gun it'll be a 12 bore, then whenever you use it, we will know, and I'll want to know what you used it on !!

Frank Dyke or Shamrock, all stamped with Smokeless Powder because it was new then.

I can't remember the first time I fired them but I know that was all that was about at the time and priced around 12/6d a box.

My father said if you are going to use a gun it'll be a 12 bore, then whenever you use it, we will know, and I'll want to know what you used it on !!

Did you ever shoot Frank Dyke's 'Yellow Wizard'? They were 12/6 a box in 1961.

post-8575-0-25756300-1408366988_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floating Chamber