Chainsaws

Matthewbaggs

I got a 20 inch Mitox (China) its 52 cc and they run the same eng on the brush cutter...... I have one of them as well..... I cant fault it and I have hammered it I have had others and this one stacks up and was http://www.mitoxgm.co.uk/Shop/List/0/177/category/Trees--Logs/Chainsaws-?gclid=CjwKEAjwi6OeBRCCrZqp-qaQhhISJACrfbtAdfu1qVQ381eKC90zdg_cqnF0iYEyGImIM75zaGzcYxoCXg3w_wcBabout £220 with a good guarantee, well worth a look

I would go for a Stihl every time. They are extremely reliable, and if something does go wrong they are very simple to strip and have a parts supply second to none.

Husqvarna chainsaws are worth a look, too, but my money would always go to Stihl. :yes:

I have to say, being tight, I bought a Mitox, implement - pruner saw/strimmer/hedge cutter with an extension poll for £300. Stihl was £500. I have been very impressed with it. Thrashed it forthe last 3 years and it starts everytime. It has one foible though the carb adjustment goes out of whack occasionally but it takes the supplier a minute and costs nothing to retune - only a mile away so no big issue.

I would therefore recommend Mitox since parts fro Stihl are increasingly being sourced from China. Husky is well thought of by all tree people and in truth, if you have the budget stated, and you want to burn a lot (cold winter) I'd recommend Mitox because the others you will get for that price wont have the same power (cc).

Stihl all day long! They start with the ms170 which retails under £200. Have used this saw very light, reliable and surprisingly powerful. Have also got an ms280 which is a beast of a saw never gets bogged down. Have used husqvarna and personally, I didn't particularly like them. Always stihl for me

Stihl or Husky are the safe bets, I have both, I don't think they make a bad saw. Dolmar are an old and well respected maker, bought out by Makita ( who make excellent power tools ), so it's no surprise that their saws are getting good reviews from the professionals. If I was buying one now, I think it might be a Makita.

Husky or Stihl and you won't go wrong.

But listen to what the others have said. Get training first and qualified in the basics and get the boots , trousers , helmet and ear muffs.

You'll enjoy the training and get loads of practical tips on maintaining the saw. Good Maintenance is everything with saws.

Husky personally. Run mine hard and they do what I need provided I keep them in shape. Sharp chain, decent oil, fresh fuel or aspen and thick chain oil. If it's just for logs for a woodburner you really don't need to go down the route of CS30/31 etc. Just make a decent saw horse, throw them logs on it and cut away. I would highly recommend a helmet and trousers mind as one slip and a sharp saw will take no prisoners.

Dolmar, Husky or stihl are all good saws. You don't need to go mad for a few occasional logs. As with anything, just steer clear of the bottom end stihl and Chinese stuff. Most dealers will have trade in saws too so sometimes worth asking them.

Hi guys,

recently bought myself a woodburner, so going to need a petrol chainsaw to cut the logs up.

Looking to spend around £300.

Anyone have any good or bad reviews?

Looking at either a stihl or husky

Only being 15 not many people listen to me when I talk about stuff like this and I recently got a Stihl ms 251 for £395reduced from £550 it's a very good saw well worth having a look online for 1' Edited by raphael262

Either Stihl or Husqvarna but if you are an occasional user then run it on ASPEN fuel. Although expensive you will find starting it easier after a period of not using it. Remember the chain does the cutting not the engine so learn how to sharpen it with a kit.

Been taught how to use one by someone who runs the basic felling course at an agricultural college and have been doing work on their land with them / going to do my "CS32 Fell and Process Medium Trees" soon

Sounds like an insurance / liability nightmare. The person should also know better.

What's a 15 year old doing with a serious chainsaw ???

I was 16 last year and my boss was letting me swing around in trees up on a platform with a saw as long as you have good education, safety and people you trust around you it doesn't matter what age you are,

Edited by contrysports