Jehovas Witness`s - How to stop them knocking.

Salop Matt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would probably be a Mezuzah http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/mezuzah-2/

The wife is Jewish!

I also used to live with a Jew, and put up a mezuzah after she moved in (2 inches long?), and the JWs, having previously been regular visitors, never came back. Works like a charm (which I guess it kind of is):

http://unionchabad.com/resources/mezuzah/

Just fixes (at an angle) to the door frame. Very unobtrusive.

I knew that the massive would know, thanks.

We have a local congregation who are quite well known to most of us and our town is too small to fall out with anyone, but I can understand how annoying it can be.

They call round the same houses on a regular basis but never seem to get the message.

Occasionally of a weekend now they have a little 'booth' for want of a better word on the pavement in centre of town and stand there with big smiles and books in each hand waiting for people to pass; they are avoided like the plague.

A friend of mine is a Buddhist and they stopped calling at her house after she kept them talking on the doorstep for ages some time ago.

I just don't answer the door when I see them through the front door window.

I'm afraid you may have to be rude.

I was once just going out, the baby was screaming in his car seat in the car, the toddler was furiously fighting and screaming with me in a tantrum not wanting to go in the car, slapping and kicking and the couple STILL thought it'd be good to ask me if I've got a couple of minutes after I'd got the kids in, I didn't even notice them there.

Unchoice, prolonged language was used, I was fuming, not seen them since.

I have a Jewish friend who has an Icon on his door frame and they walk up the path and then go away. I'm not sure what it is but it seems to work, over to the massive to educate me.

The icon is called a mizuzah, as others have said, and its just a little box which contains a tiny piece of paper. On the paper is a prayer in Hebrew blessing the house, thats all it is, you are supposed to touch the mizuzah when you walk through the front door to enter the house, thus symbolically repeating the prayer as you enter

It does indicate a Jewish household though and they know they will not get anywhere with Jewish people

Edited by Vince Green

I was once approached by a small group of morons mormons whilst in Stoke ......who politely asked me "Do you have god in your life"

to which I stood up, staff in hand and replied in a thunderous voice......YES, but not YOUR god...

the resultant retreat at full speed was quite gratifying to watch........

I find some of them very interesting particularly the one from Utah.

I was reloading in my garage with the door open on one occasion and one turned up and we spent about twenty minutes talking and then his 'Brother' came to find out where he was and we spent another half an hour talking guns and reloading ammo.

No I never have a problem with them, just politely tell them that I am happy with the way I live and they are quite happy to leave.

this is the way any decent person should do it , theyre just normal folks that have a slightly different belief system .

apart from the no blood thing , they live their lives in a , good , honest , decent , way .

if they knock at my door and im too busy , i just say , im sorry but im too busy , if im not up to much ill pass the time of day with them and say , thankyou but its not for me.

id like to think that if i knocked on a strangers door , they would spare me a couple of minutes of their time without being rude to me , i also think that the world would be a much nicer place if we were all a little more polite to others.

im also polite to doorstep sellers , i remain polite until ive said no thankyou several times , then i get a little more robust in my reply.

Edited by mel b3

Invite them in for tea and biscuits and keep them for hours. My grandad did this a couple of years ago and kept them for most of the afternoon.

Alternatively put a couple of these on your car or doorway. <script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=0e5e50c9ef256bfbe2fa3c16bfb91a03&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=313643&p=2836981&md5check=a185d742260b18a13c6335ea10dd5e8e&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,YBOOuU_RJzI');//]]></script> post1.jpg&&0

That`s brilliant :good::lol:

this is the way any decent person should do it , theyre just normal folks that have a slightly different belief system .

apart from the no blood thing , they live their lives in a , good , honest , decent , way .

if they knock at my door and im too busy , i just say , im sorry but im too busy , if im not up to much ill pass the time of day with them and say , thankyou but its not for me.

id like to think that if i knocked on a strangers door , they would spare me a couple of minutes of their time without being rude to me , i also think that the world would be a much nicer place if we were all a little more polite to others.

im also polite to doorstep sellers , i remain polite until ive said no thankyou several times , then i get a little more robust in my reply.

Good man Mel, life becomes infinitely better when we all show a bit of tolerance, respect, courtesy and good manners.

I do sympathise with the plight of the OP as it strikes me that he has been very tolerant and respectful in asking for the visit's to stop. Perhaps try Cranfield's approach (i think it was Cranfield and now I have started typing I can't go back through posts to check!) and visit their Kingdom Hall or write them a nice, but firm letter outlining your frustrations at their continued approach.

I remember when I was about 10 my dad invited three of them in (my dad is 6ft 4 and an old school Groupie) Once in the living room he calmly locked the door then spent 2 hours reading excerpts from black sabeth(he was personal friend of Ozzy) and some other satanic scripts whilst he burnt 3 copies of their holy text on the log burner.

Open the door while cleaning your pump action shotgun get the required results ....

strangely enough , my window cleaner , sam , (a jw and a damned decent and hardworking chap from a lovely family) has sat on my back yard having a brew and a chat many times , while ive , cleaned guns , skinned , rabbits , deer , de breasted pigeons etc .

were both very different people with very different ideas , but , we still manage to get along .

gclark was right about cranfields solution , if they call often enough to become a nuisance , just have a polite word at the local kingdom hall.