Rifleman or shotgunner..or both?

Scully

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had years of not shooting either and didn't miss it; now I feel like I'd be lost without both. If I had to choose, though, it would be the shotgun.

It seems like more of a natural physical thing which is an extension of your body. It's all instinct. Whereas the rifle is more of a separate tool from which you deliberately isolate your physical self.

Also, may sound silly, but the fact that with a rifle you (generally) see an artificial image of what you're shooting rather than the animal itself also creates a layer of distance between the shooter and he shot.

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting rifles, but the shotgun is almost part of oneself and would be harder to give up.

I can't choose, I go out lamping and think this the best thing ever, but then get s good day on the pigeon and think it's the nuts.

Clay pigeon, well, I get bored and frustrated, if I had no land to shoot on I wouldn't hold FAC or SGC I reckon.

I use both but my strength definitely lies with my rifles. I enjoy using shotguns but have always struggled, yet rifles I feel much more confident. shot smallbore at a decent level but now my time is spent with rimfires and centrefires on vermin and deer

Rifle first then shotgun, don't miss too much with a rifle and don't hit too much with a shotgun.

I do enjoy sitting in a hide and watching the wildlife going about its busyness, may be I'd get on better if i spent more time watching the crows or pigeons rather than every thing else :)

Most definitely air rifles first for me, I love the simplicity, the stalking, covertness and sense of accomplishment when you have a good outing - I'm not sure I'd ever get same satifaction shooting rabbits with something like an hmr, which is why I have no plans for powder burners any time soon. One day,when I have time and money, I would love to start to learn about deer stalking, buy that is years away. I'm not a good shot with a shotgun (8 woodies for 18 carts this morning) so that probably stops me using it more but I do enjoy it, albeit in a slightly one-dimensional way.

Shotgun for me and I think it is because it is a dynamic thing in comparison to a rifle, as Pothunter said it is more of a natural extension of myself than a rifle.

Sadly that doesn't translate into being any good with the damn thing, shot at the Scottish fair today and I might have well been trying to shoot the clays with a broom handle and shouting BANG. Why is something so simple in theory so blooming' hard at times?

I've sold my rifles & kit to focus on Clay shooting - I found rifle shooting was holding me back with my clay shooting as they don't go hand in hand so after much deliberation I sold them - I'm loving my return to the clay scene following a 25 year absence !

So for now & the next few years I'm a shotgunner :good:

I am sure plenty of people will say they chop and change between the two without issues but V8 90's post makes a valid point.

I find going from a period of shotgun shooting I have found I pull my rifles' triggers and going the other way sometimes I stop the swing of my shotgun.

Two very useful 'how did you miss that?' excuses to have in the back pocket too ;)

I am sure plenty of people will say they chop and change between the two without issues but V8 90's post makes a valid point.

I find going from a period of shotgun shooting I have found I pull my rifles' triggers and going the other way sometimes I stop the swing of my shotgun.

Two very useful 'how did you miss that?' excuses to have in the back pocket too ;)

But at least its a valid excuse. I have been bunny bashing hard for the past few weeks with the rifle. On Sunday at the clay ground there were a few easy targets I missed due to going into "rifle mode" and trying to aim at stuff!