Optics for a .17 hmr

NickB65

I am about to buy a CZ 455 .17 hmr and I was wondering what your advice would be on the ideal magnification for a scope. Being an ex-air rifle shooter I always had quite powerful scopes with all sorts the last being 3-12 x 32 but the more I am reading the more I seem to find many rifle shooters using much lower magnification and some simple 6x40......

All advice welcome.....

theres a nice viper for sale on here at minute high mag but with hmr and its capability at range on rabbits id go hi mag for them long range bunnies ive a 6x24x56 on mine and have taken rabbits at 200+ yards i wouldnt of been able to do that with low mag spope,hmr is all about range if your going sub 100yds id stick with .22.difference beiing you can always turn zoom down you cant turn it up if you aint got it :good:

Edited by remmy1100

Hi

Not everyones cup of tea but I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44.

Sure there may be issues if need to be returned US side for warranty work but at pre-owned prices difficult to ignore when they come up.

Gives the extra magnification but without the extra objective diameter which can impact cheek-weld, so can be mounted low.

L

Edited by Loki

I struggle to get enough magnification when head shooting rabbits out to 170 yards on just x9 mag, which is something I do regularly regardless of wind, so I recommend the MTC Genesis with its increased magnification. It's also awesome with any digital add-ons you may want to purchase in the future.

Edited by mick miller

Depends what you want to do with it

If it's all about a point and shoot gun at quarry from say close up to 100 yards ish 6 x is all you realy need

However if you want a mini varminter shooting out further and dialing in then something that goes up to say 12x or 18x say might be more fun capable of watching strikes and mirage

Magnification gets very personal.

It doesn't matter what anyone else uses, and you will have already noticed a lot of variation.

If it works for you, the rifle, distance and quarry, then whatever you are happy with.

Whilst I have variable power on ALL my rifles I seldom use more than 6x even on my bigger centrefires out to 200 yards, and even on the range out to 1000 yards I'm easy at 10-12x.

:good:

I have a 6-24x50 on mine but it stays at 10x most of the time

+1

Iv a Hawke 6-24x50 on my 452, like you it lives at around 10x. It's been on for the last 3 years. I like it alot - the 7 years before that it was a 3-9x40 which did great too... but I wanted/needed higher mag. doing crows at longer distances.