BBC 2 9pm Dunblane Our story

chrisjh

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we drift off into all manner of fantastical scenarios it is well worth remembering there is nothing to stop anyone from walking into a school tomorrow with a handgun and doing the same.

The ban had nothing to do with handguns and everything to do with politicians milking the tragedy for party gain against an imploding Tory government and an imminent election.

If Derek Bird had walked into his local primary with his .22 and 12 bore at a time of general election this forum probably wouldn't exist. There is nothing to prevent it from happening tomorrow, or the next day.

The ban wasn't about handguns.

Its not that easy to get into schools nowadays, I visit schools for work fairly often, you need to to be let in.

Its not that easy to get into schools nowadays, I visit schools for work fairly often, you need to to be let in.

Not in the schools my wife worked before she retired. Parents would just walk in, especially in summer when the classroom windows (floor to ceiling were open) anyone could get in. If my wife protested she was vilified by the parents. She eventually got so fed up she packed it in. All I would say is remember Jamie Bulger. Which I know is not about schools, it is however about the predators of whatever age who will KILL your children given the chance...............sick ******* world

Christ on a bike bobt - walking into a school is like taking Candy from a child - even if you have to ring a Bell then simply uttering the word "Delivery" gets you in...most School doors are secured with a Magnetised lock - just a good push is enough. I worked as a Caretaker in a primary school and if you think for one second that your child is safe there then you need to think again.

As others have said anyone could get there way into a school or say a youth organisation that meets in the local village hall etc.

Take one tool away from these nutters and they will just find another. It needs a more logical approach with better screening of mental health of all ages.

Its the mind sets of these people that needs to be addressed, I bet in under a minute most could name 5 to 10 other ways horrors like Dunblane could be repated but without a gun of any kind and they arent going to stop selling kitchen knives, house hold chemicles, fuels, fireworks, compressed flamible gasses, cars/vehicles, bows/ cross bows, bats, swords.

The anti-hand gun / gun lot need to think about what it is they truely hate and a propper way of addressing these issues rather than knee jerk reaction ban everything. Better weapons education is needed across all sides, just look how much even the veggi girl on "kill it cook it eat it" enjoyed clay shooting, she really got into it and that didnt halm her or anyone else.

Its the mind sets of these people that needs to be addressed, I bet in under a minute most could name 5 to 10 other ways horrors like Dunblane could be repated but without a gun of any kind and they arent going to stop selling kitchen knives, house hold chemicles, fuels, fireworks, compressed flamible gasses, cars/vehicles, bows/ cross bows, bats, swords.

True,we are surrounded by weapons ,if you have the mindset.

Most of us drive one every day.

A pen,pencil ,the proverbial pointy stick.

Go further ,and without any background check or licensing a, bow or crossbow is easily capable of killing at range.

Petrol or other flammables can be made into a variety of weapons.

If someone is intent on murder,they will find a way,but less than 1 % of murders in this country are by firearm.

the facts are very simple has any one actually gone into a school or public place with a cricket bat and committed mass murder NO, vehicles serve a purpose they are integral to our everyday lives, but there have been attempts to use them as a weapon but with little or no success, knifes have been used but again with little success, the same old argument comes up about illegal guns, how many "Dunblane" mass killings have occurred in the UK with illegal guns, the simple fact is if you want to kill a lot of people in a confined space then a hand gun is perfect,its also a fact that these event happen when they are in legal ownership.

so let me ask this again what is it that makes your life so empty without without a handgun what it is about owning one thats so all consuming what is it you cant do as far as i can see its the ability to put a hole in a piece of paper thats it so tell me is this more important than someones life would you look in the eye of those parents and say my ability to own a hand gun and shoot paper is more important than the life of your child, its that simple

the facts are very simple has any one actually gone into a school or public place with a cricket bat and committed mass murder NO, vehicles serve a purpose they are integral to our everyday lives, but there have been attempts to use them as a weapon but with little or no success, knifes have been used but again with little success, the same old argument comes up about illegal guns, how many "Dunblane" mass killings have occurred in the UK with illegal guns, the simple fact is if you want to kill a lot of people in a confined space then a hand gun is perfect,its also a fact that these event happen when they are in legal ownership.

so let me ask this again what is it that makes your life so empty without without a handgun what it is about owning one thats so all consuming what is it you cant do as far as i can see its the ability to put a hole in a piece of paper thats it so tell me is this more important than someones life would you look in the eye of those parents and say my ability to own a hand gun and shoot paper is more important than the life of your child, its that simple

Utter twaddle even though I have no personal interest in owning a pistoi: +1 on you should join Mumsnet !

Do u really need to be having this debate now.

By all means have it but it does seem grossly insenstive to be having at the moment when it is the anniversary.

Althou its prob been done many times before

Anybody could be googling it and this thread comes up with folk mumping about losing there guns, when people are remembering lost kids, friends.

Just really bad timing for it, and looks bad if anyone else is searching the internet and comes accross it.

Utter twaddle even though I have no personal interest in owning a pistoi: +1 on you should join Mumsnet !

why is it, i suggest my position is solid fact hence your rather childish remark, that said i might be a member of mumsnet why wouldn't i be

You have made some valid points but this is not about someone who wants to shoot at paper targets or tin cans, it's about freedom to do what you want (within the law) if you take your argument of banning something to stop this type of thing happening then should we ban all Muslims from the UK? (there will be a reply saying yes to that one)

Unfortunately the problem is mankind.

Do u really need to be having this debate now.

By all means have it but it does seem grossly insenstive to be having at the moment when it is the anniversary.

Althou its prob been done many times before

Anybody could be googling it and this thread comes up with folk mumping about losing there guns, when people are remembering lost kids, friends.

Just really bad timing for it, and looks bad if anyone else is searching the internet and comes accross it.

A perfectly valid point of view and one with which I would agree but you're talking to the wrong people. Immediately after the event our organisations invited us to take a considered action out of respect for the bereaved and do nothing until the Cullen Report was published. The Government proposed a similar course of action. Which of the two elements renegaded on that agreement and such that we got shafted?

The biggest fault in this incedent was the failing of the firearms enquiries officer. If I remember correctly Hamilton had a string of complaints against him, which if they had been followed up would have or should have had Hamilton locked up. But due to his connections in the police force at high level he retained his ticket and the complaints were hidden.

Seek and thee shall find, the report or part of is about.

The biggest fault in this incedent was the failing of the firearms enquiries officer. If I remember correctly Hamilton had a string of complaints against him, which if they had been followed up would have or should have had Hamilton locked up. But due to his connections in the police force at high level he retained his ticket and the complaints were hidden.

That is my understanding as well Dougy along with the fact that he wasn't a member of a club, which was a prerequisite at the time.

I bet you supported the ban on punctuation too. I really miss the full stop but really,,,there is nothing preventing me from running amok with an inappropriate comma now and again !

Incorrect Dougy. Go read the facts and come back and apologize to the FEO involved please. Have a pop at his boss but not him!

Sorry, but that's incorrect. The officer in not only recommending that his renewal should not be approved was also minded to have Hamilton taken to task regarding his activities in a boys' summer camp. He was over-ridden on both counts.

You have made some valid points but this is not about someone who wants to shoot at paper targets or tin cans, it's about freedom to do what you want (within the law) if you take your argument of banning something to stop this type of thing happening then should we ban all Muslims from the UK? (there will be a reply saying yes to that one)

Unfortunately the problem is mankind.

Pretty much this ^^.

Why should the majority of lawful owners be punished because of the actions of one or two bad apples? Especially when the fault would seem to lie at the feet of those trusted to keep those same bad apples off the streets or at least keep them away from firearms.

I bet you supported the ban on punctuation too. I really miss the full stop but really,,,there is nothing preventing me from running amok with an inappropriate comma now and again !

Must say spelling and using punctuation marks and all the other stuff is not my strongest point, but it should not be prerequisite to having an opinion and debating it.

There are people out there who are dyslectic or intelligent but poorly educated.