Shooting Gorilla

Dougy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the gorilla did not choose to be there, would of thought a tranquiliser dart would have been more called for.

Could a tranquiliser dart in the *** not have made the Gorilla more unpredictable and potentially dangerous. This is a shooting forum some shoot and kill animals and bost about shooting foxes and their cubs etc, some support large game hunting whats the differince in shooting a Gorilla.

We have a slight difference of opinion then.

The bars are to provide a safe barrier between the animals and humans, they are not climbing frames.

Correct Dougy, why when we the superior species foul up does the wildlife always have to pay?

Sadly the zoo authorities had little choice but to remove the immediate threat.

I cant believe im reading this, the child somehow managed to get into a pen ! can you begin to grasp how the parents must have felt having their child pulled about by a gorilla, should they have left it in case the animal decided it had better things to do,

The difference is this animal didn't want to be there and was shot because an ill-supervised child fell in. It was like shooting a fish in a barrel.

The kids parents need a kick up the **** though.

I am sure foxes etc doint want to be caught in cages and shot but people do it willingly. Unfortunately in this case they had no choice if they had the chance to shoot it and did not and the child was killed.

I cant believe im reading this, the child somehow managed to get into a pen ! can you begin to grasp how the parents must have felt having their child pulled about by a gorilla, should they have left it in case the animal decided it had better things to do,

I'm going to be honest and however harsh this sounds but the parents are to blame. The 4 year old knew no better, the gorilla probably didn't want to be there anyway and the parents let the child get in. In my eyes like I said, blame the parent's.

The Gorilla could have killed the child in 0.5 seconds if it so wished so a dart was never going to be a option , a great shame but the correct decision under the circumstances .

From what I read the child crawled through a gap in a barrier , even the best parents can take their eye of the ball for a couple of seconds so lets not be too quick to judge them.

More annoying was the two tigers shot last week when someone jumped into a pen wanting to top themselves.

Was it the right decision?

Based on the fact it had already dragged the child around a bit... yes it was, It did pause for a moment before the deed was done. Had it had enough 'fun' or was it planning on what to do next? that we will never know

I can assume a zoo who ultimately make ££ out of displaying animals would not take the decision to shoot one publicly without good reason

On a side note there was the case of the UK Gorilla that protected a child from the others in the mid 80s if i recall when he fell in the pen, i think it was also the first time the keepers (and an ambulance man) had been in without them locked away - all was fine then (aside from a fractured skull and arm from the fall)

It's a parent's responsibility to protect their children from dangerous situations, and they didn't.

Let's hope if he ever runs out onto a main road, the police snipers are there to shoot any drivers coming in his direction.

I agree shooting the gorilla was probably the right decision, but it was hardly the gorilla's fault he was put in that situation.

Edited by walshie

having looked at the video and comments of witnesses, gist appears to be.....

Boy falls into moat,

Gorilla attempts to lead boy out of moat (to prevent drowning to young?)

People screaming and shouting,

Gorilla stands over boy to protect,

Zoo shoots gorilla......

I suspect this was a case of over reaction.....