Stubble Time

I'm not normally in the country for the stubbles but this year my holiday to Greece has been put back due to Grandad duties. So we set out looking for stubbles to shoot and the first farm we came to had cut and it had birds flighting at least six miles out of the centre of Brum. So we contacted the farmer, they can have the stubble its the wheat that needs to be protected. Now the birds were flighting over his wheat to get to the barley stubble and nothing was down on the wheat but he was insistent that we shoot the wheat . the compromise was that we would set up on the barley stubble and take it in turns to protect the wheat!!!

We set up at 12.00 and DB took the first stag over on the wheat trying to drop passing birds on the grass field next to it. After two hours he returned with three birds. As he left the shooter from the village turned up and took his place. I went over when the shooting stopped as we assume he had left to go for his tea. I went over and stood under a sitty tree and in two hours managed eleven birds. Many passed over and they all went to the barley. The set up was very basic, twelve thawed birds on cradles and thats it , we would pick up when we had ten down for the carp sack to prevent fly blow. We stopped shooting when a micro light went over and spooked all the birds in the area this was at 19.00 and picked up one hundred and ninetyfour pigeons and three corvids, so a great result and we kept the farmer happy.

Today was another quest for stubbles, we looked at the barley we shot last week but it had been shot on Tuesday and Wednesday and we just stood in the gateway and the birds lifted, so we moved on. We had some intel that they had cut on another farm so we made our way over to it checking two other farms on the way both had not been cut. We checked the final farm and drove over the four fields of barley stubble not seeing many birds. We had a farm next to this one which had a mega amount of birds on it but they do not allow shooting due to religious reasons so we asked at the farm next door and he said yes. So we set up on his barley stubble and benefited from the overflow from the field that they wanted. We set up with six decoys from the day before just on cradles and then added till we had twentyfour birds out including four angels set up to pull the birds off line.We picked shot birds every ten and bagged them up We had set up at 13.00 and shot till 18.30 and picked up two hundred pigeons and one Jackdaw so the freezers will be on overload.

dd00dded-06f9-4044-a70c-84335e546328_zps

f0a79776-9581-4c3d-b378-3358c4d4061a_zps

Edited by pigeon controller

Oh for a stubble or two to shoot. Good one.

The most salient point in your reports was the fact that the birds were flighting six miles to feed.

Does the farmer not see that the birds going into the stubble which he asked you to ignore are the same ones which will be back in the winter to eat his rape?

Edited by JDog

Oh for a stubble or two to shoot. Good one.

The most salient point in your reports was the fact that the birds were flighting six miles to feed.

Does the farmer not see that the birds going into the stubble which he asked you to ignore are the same ones which will be back in the winter to eat his rape?

We kept telling him that if we have 200 on the stubble this will be 200 less on the wheat!!!!! You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink!!!

Thanks Massive for your comments all I will say is that it was very hot to shoot and also to try and cool birds. I'm actually looking forward to some cool rain.

fantastic , shooting , write up , and pics , as always pc .

i was out yesterday and took 65 pigeons and 47 corvids , i was picking up each bird as it hit the ground(i wanted some for my own freezer and like to keep them nice) , ive never known flies to be as bad as they are this year , i had the pigeons in bags and kept dribbling them with iced water , the hide was still crawling with green bottles.

fantastic , shooting , write up , and pics , as always pc .

i was out yesterday and took 65 pigeons and 47 corvids , i was picking up each bird as it hit the ground(i wanted some for my own freezer and like to keep them nice) , ive never known flies to be as bad as they are this year , i had the pigeons in bags and kept dribbling them with iced water , the hide was still crawling with green bottles.

Well done Mel , the green bottles come from " Oker Bonk" the blue bottles from " Tipon"