Spiders at work

kyska

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's so dangerous about that blue spider?

This is a very fast, sometimes aggressive tarantula that has strong venom

There has never been a recorded human death from its bite. However, P. metallica's bite is considered medically significant, with venom that may cause intense pain, judging from the experience of keepers bitten by other spiders from the genus.The vast majority are "dry bites," where no venom is injected into the handler. The mechanical effects of the bite can still be worrisome, as an adults fangs can reach nearly 3/4 of an inch in length. P. metallica can move rapidly and may defend itself when cornered. Venom may produce a heart-rate increase followed by sweating, headache, stinging, cramping, or swelling. Effects can last for up to a week.

Thanks kyska probably never happen but still nice.

Quick sheep question aw lambs at the weekend very small wearing plastic coats? Just to keep warm and dry? Might be obvious but never seen it before

We use the plastic coats on any lambs that are a bit on the weak side when born. It is mainly to keep the weather off there backs. After a few day they are removed.

Are you wearing shorts so you can see them climbing up your leg before they can get near the family jewels?

On the lambs in coats thing you often see some round these parts of Shropshire wearing them when it's really bleak and there's a dairy farm where I shoot who has calves in outdoor pens that wear rugs for a few weeks, he says it improves growth rates quite a lot in the early days.

Kyska is the big spider a Goliath Tarantula? Would not like that dropping it's fangs in.

What makes the metallic spider so dangerous, the type of venin.

Hi Figgy, its a salmon bird-eater.

The tree spiders are more dangerous as as said by someone else they are VERY fast and aggressive, but more importantly they don't have the ability to flick their abdominal hairs like most new world tarantula can, so their first line of defence is to bite

What's so dangerous about that blue spider?

Are those blue gloves fang proof :oops:

as above, and no just disposable nitrile gloves.

Edited by kyska

Crikey...

Corn snakes

Royal pythons

Woma pythons (endangered)

Milk snakes

Bearded dragons

Red iguana

Leopard gecko

Yemen chameleon

Berber skink

Cane toads

Collared lizards

Blue tongue skink

Moroccan uromastyx

Northern chuckwalla

Death head cockroach

Spiders

Preying mantis

Giant millipede

African land snails

Madagascan day gecko

Whites tree frog

Poison dart frog

Jungle scorpion

Emperor scorpion (endangered)

And so on, that's just the reptile room.

If you're ever in Notts PM me, open unit, we love visitors.

Milk Snakes?

What flavours do they come in?

Always been fascinated but wary of spiders since serving my apprenticeship climbing round in warm dark places they get huge and scary looking. Have kept all sorts of reptiles and other animals but was warned off spiders. Mainly due to getting bit then squash no more spider, aparrently the little **** can be friendly then drop their fangs into for no reason or rub the hairs off and irritate the hell out of you.

When I was a kid my mum's cousin used to work at Ffyfe's Banana warehouse somewhere in North London. They would get all sorts of horrible things coming out of the containers when they unpacked them.

He used to bring those disgusting great spiders home to show us. I was terrified of them and still hate them now.

Edited by Vince Green

When I was a kid my mum's cousin used to work at Ffyfe's Banana warehouse somewhere in North London. They would get all sorts of horrible things coming out of the containers when they unpacked them.

He used to bring those disgusting great spiders home to show us. I was terrified of them and still hate them now.

I hope they were dead, Brazilian wandering spiders, or banana spiders are not a spider to get a bite from........

I hope they were dead, Brazilian wandering spiders, or banana spiders are not a spider to get a bite from........

No the were very much alive, and he didn't know what they were either. I suspect he was using them to show off to people down at the British Legion where he spent most of his evenings. That would have been in character

Another reptile man!

Had royals, boas, madagascan hognose (psycho, but so much fun), Fox snake, and western hognose. Only have the western still. Awesome little things.

Had an aphonopelma for a while, but spiders never really did it for me.