.22lr rounds

What is a good round for rabbits and crows in a toz 78 04 tried cci stingers wasn't impressed at all 3inch group at 75 yards compared to some old federal high velocity that I had been given they grouped at 17mm at the same distance tried winchester super x they wouldn't even chamber properly would prefer subs not tried any eley yet American Eagle weren't to bad inch and a half but go straight thru rabbits without killing them instantly they run off only to die in brambles not fun finding them plus I am a believer in only having to shoot once to kill prey I don't like them to suffer so any suggestions would be greatfully acepted

Edited by chris1961

As mentioned, stick with subs, some/most of the HV rounds become unstable when trans sonic and equals **** grouping.

I use Winchester 42 grain Max subsonics. Nice, stable, and accurate. At least in my CZ 452 anyway... Longest shot 116 yards crow on the open fields. Although i generally stick to around 80 yards or so. Nice deep hollow point, expands very well and gives clean kills.

Worth buying a box to try....

James

Been using Winchester 42g for some time in the CZ 452 and nothing has ever got up to complain, a very effective round.

This morning tho had two rounds that "sounded different" and didn't connect, checked rifle after each shot to make sure the barrel was clear and the casing showed a good indent so the firing pin had connected ok, the next rounds did their job so may be just a couple of duff ones, a first for me from many 100's fired.

Will check out the batch numbers in the cabinet later to see if there may be anymore as l know that these were from the latest purchase.

Went down the same route a short while ago when trying to decide which suited a new Browning T Bolt .22 the best, started with several different brands and found SK subs were absolutly spot on but then couldnt source any supplies as they went out of production, SK standard are pretty good but not subsonic and now using eley subs which are the best second place I have found so far.

CCI, Remington,Fiocci,RWS and Winchester were all way under par by comparisson and now gathering dust just in case a second rimfire gets added to the ticket and I have to do the same trials again.

As mentioned above try the different brands for yourself and hopefully that should help arrive at a solution bearing in mind that not all rifles like the same ammunition.

Now only use RWS Subs and never had the slightest problem with one of them, Used Eley Extra when I first bought my 452 but then quality plummeted so I changed to RWS and would not go back.....they also do a HVHP which is very accurate.

I'd agree bruno, rws hvhp is a cracking .22 round in more ways than one. Probably the best .22hv I've used,although I used to like the old eley hv's until they stopped making them. Every bit as accurate as the subs and harder hitting of course,if you need it.

What is a good round for rabbits and crows in a toz 78 04 tried cci stingers wasn't impressed at all 3inch group at 75 yards compared to some old federal high velocity that I had been given they grouped at 17mm at the same distance tried winchester super x they wouldn't even chamber properly would prefer subs not tried any eley yet American Eagle weren't to bad inch and a half but go straight thru rabbits without killing them instantly they run off only to die in brambles not fun finding them plus I am a believer in only having to shoot once to kill prey I don't like them to suffer so any suggestions would be greatfully acepted

i have found for my cz winchester subs are the best i have used and suit my rifle perfectly

Just getting to the last 100 of the 1000 I purchased a few years ago. Winchester Super X 40gr HP Sub Sonic. Shoot more accurately than I can in the Marlin 880SQ I have. I only use the 22RF where silence is required and distances are 100yrds or less. I use the 455 17HMR where I need more reaching power and a small amount of noise is not an issue.

Reading this with interest as I will have to go out and buy another 500 very shortly. Might be teaching grandmother to suck eggs, but be careful to not mix different boxes of 22RF. I had a young man shooting rabbits with me one night, he is a very good shot and every other rabbit he missed. Couldn't work it out until I saw he had a pouch with a couple of hundred loose rounds in it. His father had tipped five or six boxes in there and the boxes had different batch numbers ...OUCH!!! Impossible to sort obviously.

Winchester changed a few years ago and the last few bricks I had were nowhere near as good.

Tried all sorts and nothing matched the old Winchester performance.

Any target round (recently tried Eley club which are still subs) are very accurate, probably the most accurate round you can now get, and lots to choose from.

They don't expand, but they do deform.

I suppose what you use depends on what and where you are shooting.