Hows the harvest going in your area?

Wooder

No much combining going on down here in Kent, Rain as stopped play for a number of days now. only combining that has taken place has been at night. farmers have had plenty of time to disk the rape stubble and plough in some cases. thus cutting down shooting opportunities.

hello, looking around the vale most of the wheat is standing tall with very few flat areas, all due i expect to better types of wheat seed and stronger stalks, where as back some years the slightest wind or rain made vast flat areas which was difficult for the combine to pick, now of course better for the farmers not so much the pigeon shooter, still i was watching a field last night around 6 adjacent the river and maybe a few hundred going down where the sprayer left tram lines, back in the 1980s i use to go out with a neighbour, an Agronomist for Shell to a lot of farms and he was involved with scientist with wheat production surveys on wheat seed as mentioned,

Harvest is in full swing in my area. All of the rape has now been harvested (that I have seen) and a lot of wheat has come down.

I have never seen as much laid cereal as I have this year. There has been countless fields with huge flat patches. I have my eye on a few of them.

We started on the winter barley the second week in July , which was one of the earliest starts we have ever had , since then it have been cutting one day and two days of rain for the last four weeks or so .

Up to now, all the winter barley is completed , rape is all sorted and the first fields of wheat have been cut.

Still a lot to do , but a few days of the right weather should knock a big hole in it , at the moment there are no concerns with the constant change in weather conditions and on a average year the harvest is normally completed by the August bank holiday .

All the rape is in and the stubbles disced, still worth a visit as the birds seem to be on it.

The cereals are a mixture, some farms have all their oats, barley and wheat in, all the vining peas have gone, but the other peas are still waiting.

Some farms still have green in their barley, but the wheat seems just to be waiting for dry days.

A lot of the winter stuff has been ready for a fair while but combines struggling to get on with it due to the daily rain.

Bits that have been cut have plenty doos on and had 75 on Wednesday for three and a half hours and would have had a superb bag if id started earlier.

On my shoot the whole farm was under winter wheat. I went to feed and water the pheasants on Sunday after the Game Fair and three large fields had been combined (150 acres or so). Went over last night with the air rifle for a bunny or two and the remaining wheat had been combined (600 acres or so). Go over tomorrow to see if there are any pigeons about.

No doubt they will be on the land soon with the disc harrows busting it all up, so I may get a couple of day in this weekend and next.

Wheat ready to come in 10 days ago but rain has messed this up......still v little flat patches but this year the pigeons are actually balancing on the tops...If stays sunny for 2-3 days will be combined early next week...13 fields and @ 300 acres to bring in..currently way too wet.

still waiting to do the wheat..........tested today at 16%.....................still got to come down somewhat.....need the sun on it as it is overcast and threatnening............

Still waiting for wheat to come of me small bit. What moisture will they take it off at Ditchy would it be 13/14 then into the dryer?

We had a fair old dousing of h20 here in Liverpool over the past 72 hours throughout the night so has probably put thing back a little for me.

atb

7diaw

Still waiting for wheat to come of me small bit. What moisture will they take it off at Ditchy would it be 13/14 then into the dryer?

We had a fair old dousing of h20 here in Liverpool over the past 72 hours throughout the night so has probably put thing back a little for me.

atb

7diaw

got a contract with the local grain chappy.............garanteed prices but must be 14% and under............mind you the yearly contract is not cheap..

got a contract with the local grain chappy.............garanteed prices but must be 14% and under............mind you the yearly contract is not cheap..

Ahh, might need a good few days worth of solar bashing then before everything comes off up here. Was talking to farmer a couple of days ago he had been out pulling wild oats from a couple of field margins by hand, says if left it seeds like anything, never heard of this before, says it is something he does every year.

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Ahh, might need a good few days worth of solar bashing then before everything comes off up here. Was talking to farmer a couple of days ago he had been out pulling wild oats from a couple of field margins by hand, says if left it seeds like anything, never heard of this before, says it is something he does every year.

atb

7diaw

a lot of that is done down here ...especially if the crop will go for seed....down here we call walking around the fields....."roving"....elswhere it is called "rougueing"

before elf & saftety they had "rovers" walking the fields pulling unwanted stuff out...then in the 1960's 70's you would where a waterproof glove with a spongy outer layer which would be fed a contact herbicide into the spongy layer and then you would just stroke the stem and it would die.........rigthtly so it was banned...too close to human contact....anyway...the pulling method is a lot better....trouble is its all left on the margins...and the stuff seeds from there as it can lay dormant for several years....

it is a truely a mind numbing job.....students hate it and only usually last a day or so...before going into meltdown.. :lol::lol:

Edited by ditchman

In these Wolds a start on winter barley was the earliest since 1976 by all accounts. Since then we have had almost daily rainfall.

Today on my way out at 10 am combines were already working rape and the few remaining winter barley fields. Conditions have been almost perfect for harvesting all day.

Some wheat crops here on the Warwickshire/Leicstershire/Notts/Staffs border ...yep 4 Counties, some of the wheat fields are starting to look a bit black. Everywhere is pretty damp. One or two rape fields ..probably spring..still to do and one barley field is still very green. As said two or three days of solid sunshine and a nice gentle breeze and the diesel bowsers will be buzzing around topping up the combines as they pack as many hours as they can into a day. Very little laid cereals here, wheat stands well compared to 20 -30yrs ago when fields would have been flat after some of the storms we have had. Hoping to try some new 410 fibre reloads on some pigeons next week on some stubbles.

Cutting wheat before dinner here today and we are about 15 to 18 miles away from ditchmans depending how the Crow flies , straight line or using a sat nav :yes:

spoke to the farmer at 4....he said he might go for it at 6.............its 7 now and we have a few spots of rain....very very overcast....hence the norfolk saying "blast boi..thatsa darrk owa wills muthers" :lol:

Combine had a go last week on some wheat, but stopped due to rain obviously. Saw one combine in the distance this afternoon on what looked like beans; too far to tell for sure. Couple fields of wheat with huge areas of flattened patches near me, not my perm and one for sure will never be as it's Sally Army ground and far to near civilization and nature reserve. The amount of pigeons on it is driving me crazy; lots of youngsters now as well. Going for a look at a barley field in the morning and expecting it cut, if no good then will try over Maldon area. So that's the story from Leigh and Ashingdon area so far. Lots of birds in quite a few places.

a lot of that is done down here ...especially if the crop will go for seed....down here we call walking around the fields....."roving"....elswhere it is called "rougueing"

before elf & saftety they had "rovers" walking the fields pulling unwanted stuff out...then in the 1960's 70's you would where a waterproof glove with a spongy outer layer which would be fed a contact herbicide into the spongy layer and then you would just stroke the stem and it would die.........rigthtly so it was banned...too close to human contact....anyway...the pulling method is a lot better....trouble is its all left on the margins...and the stuff seeds from there as it can lay dormant for several years....

it is a truely a mind numbing job.....students hate it and only usually last a day or so...before going into meltdown.. :lol::lol:

That is interesting ditchy, yes he said it seeded like a gooden and can be prolific, I wonder what nasties lurked in them herbicides? as you say i can see the reason the old rubber hand job was scrapped. Learn something new on here every day, will try and evade volunteering myself for that job if i can help it as i would prefer eating the oats than pulling it. Am always helping out with other things around the farm.

atb

7diaw

That is interesting ditchy, yes he said it seeded like a gooden and can be prolific, I wonder what nasties lurked in them herbicides? as you say i can see the reason the old rubber hand job was scrapped. Learn something new on here every day, will try and evade volunteering myself for that job if i can help it as i would prefer eating the oats than pulling it. Am always helping out with other things around the farm.

atb

7diaw

a wild oat when it germinates grows up anticlockwise.............a comercial oat when germinating grows clockwise..........

more useless knowledge from dickapedia..........or ditchapedia.........ahh whatever :whistling:

Edited by ditchman