Freak accidents

Cosd

At home climbing the walls with boredom having been on my back since Saturday.

Haven't posted for a while so thought I'd post this to either make you laugh or bring tears to your eyes.

So was on my derrière doing a simple bit of diy on Saturday and drilling 4 new holes in a kitchen base cabinet to add another shelf for my better half.

I finished drilling the holes and put my 18v Makita cordless next to me on the floor whilst I went on to clean out the empty cupboard of wood dust. I stood up and thought before I slide in the shelf I would remove the door so I don't scratch it.

I went to take two steps to put the door down so it wouldn't get damaged and as I took my first step I kicked the cordless and went straight down in excruciating pain.

With my wife watching and some colourful language I managed to get myself off the floor. There was no blood, just a small puncture wound. As I went to put my foot down I got the biggest shooting pain imaginable and went straight back down again. I ripped off my trainer and sock thinking the sole of my foot was on fire. Nothing there and thought this ain't good.

Looked across at my cordless and could see the drill bit had snapped off. I hobbled around helping my wife look for the drill bit which we couldn't find.

Missus started doing my head in about going to the hospital so after losing the battle and saying I don't need a hospital I gave in and went. Thinking there is no way the drill bit was in my foot I didn't even let the wife take me and drove myself to A and E.

Cut a long story short and having to go under general on Tuesday; it turns out that I'd hit the drill bit bang on, it went so deep into my foot that it only stopped when the drill hit my foot. As I went down taking the drill with me, it smacked down on a tiled floor and the drill bit hitting bone on the other side, I managed to snap off 2 inches of drill bit 1 inch deep.

Sitting here mega bored with leg in the air and just wanting to tell you guys to be careful. 30 years of diy and I have the most stupid DIY disaster. If I did the same thing 999 again, I probably wouldn't get the same outcome!

Cos

Edited by Cosd