Bank transfer not as safe as you think

Bigstep

I recently was contacted by a person wishing to purchase a motorcycle that I had for sale, he asked if he could leave a deposit of £250 to secure the bike and he would collect in a week's time which I agreed to, the money was put in my bank via a bank transfer, after over a week of messing me about he decides he doesn't want the bike without even coming to view as agreed, I wasn't best please but nothing I could do about it as I had told other people it had sold, I then checked my bank and noticed £250 had gone out of my bank so contacted my bank as I hadn't bought anything, it turns out that the bloke had told his bank he had entered the wrong details when he did his bank transfer and his bank took the deposit money out of my bank without me being notified, I will no longer accept a bank transfer for any goods as it can be reversed without any notice

We've had a similar thing when selling our leather products.  Customers wait until they receive the goods , then go to the bank and say that we're scammers that have made a fraudulent withdrawl from their account, the bank just take the money from our account with no notification. PayPal will also happily snatch money from your account with no notification.  

https://bankomb.org.nz/news-and-publications/quick-guides/item/mistaken-payments

When a payment goes to the wrong account

Contact your bank as soon as possible after realising your mistake. The sooner you do this, the better your chance of recovering your money. If your money went to an invalid account, it will usually bounce back into your account.

Retrieving a mistaken payment to a valid account can be more difficult. As a general rule, banks can reverse a payment made in error only with the consent of the person who received it. Your bank and the recipient’s bank will need to co-operate to try to recover the payment. This usually involves the recipient’s bank contacting the account holder to ask his or her permission to reverse the transaction.

If the recipient refuses, your only option is to take up the matter directly yourself. However, the bank’s responsibility to protect the privacy of the recipient’s contact details may prove an initial stumbling block. You may wish to take court action if the recipient won’t return the money. We recommend you seek legal advice if faced with taking such a step.

Your Bank should not do this - they can not just debit your account  

In a circumstance like this theye should have contacted you to understand the situation. 

When a Bank is approached by a customer under the circumstances you advise recovery is on a best endeavour basis with no guarantee of funds been returned

Which Banks are involved?

My bank is hsbc the other bank I think is Barclays, I had not been contacted by my bank the Money was taken out without my knowledge. I have spoken to my bank and they are looking into it, I have emails to prove what the money was for from the buyer and also the referece that he put on the payment was the bike I was selling

9 minutes ago, Bigstep said:

My bank is hsbc the other bank I think is Barclays, I had not been contacted by my bank the Money was taken out without my knowledge. I have spoken to my bank and they are looking into it, I have emails to prove what the money was for from the buyer and also the referece that he put on the payment was the bike I was selling

Time to contact;

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

I have heard of this before but I wouldn't take it lying down because your bank has been incredibly slack. This couldn't have just gone through, your bank must have authorised the reversal. They have a duty of care to protect your account. They have, in effect just facilitated you getting scammed. Tightchoke is right, this is a job for the ombudsman

33 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

That’s strange, what would happen if it’s full and final payment and the buyer has the goods? 

Exactly and what if it was ten grand for a car

1 hour ago, andrewluke said:

https://bankomb.org.nz/news-and-publications/quick-guides/item/mistaken-payments

When a payment goes to the wrong account

Contact your bank as soon as possible after realising your mistake. The sooner you do this, the better your chance of recovering your money. If your money went to an invalid account, it will usually bounce back into your account.

Retrieving a mistaken payment to a valid account can be more difficult. As a general rule, banks can reverse a payment made in error only with the consent of the person who received it. Your bank and the recipient’s bank will need to co-operate to try to recover the payment. This usually involves the recipient’s bank contacting the account holder to ask his or her permission to reverse the transaction.

If the recipient refuses, your only option is to take up the matter directly yourself. However, the bank’s responsibility to protect the privacy of the recipient’s contact details may prove an initial stumbling block. You may wish to take court action if the recipient won’t return the money. We recommend you seek legal advice if faced with taking such a step.

Says it all

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Bigstep said:

This is why I won't be using bank transfers when I sell in the future

Would you take Paypal?

They couldn't get the money from a buyer so took it back from my account..... they should have chased the buyer for it, that was the last time I used Paypal.

Dave

PayPal have a resolution centre - you can register a dispute and the seller has a chance to respond ... 

your bank should have also spoken with you before giving away that money

Id be making an official complaint through them first, as this is normally the first point of call when you have an issue... 

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

We've had a similar thing when selling our leather products.  Customers wait until they receive the goods , then go to the bank and say that we're scammers that have made a fraudulent withdrawl from their account, the bank just take the money from our account with no notification. PayPal will also happily snatch money from your account with no notification.  

That’s disgusting.it could get the police on you and cost your Fac in theory. 

People are selfish and don’t think about others

Edited by team tractor

Not supposed to work that way, I have been contacted by the bank before asking for authorisation to reverse a wrongfully deposited amount of £3k to which I have agreed (bet the chap was relieved), I also once had a large sum being first deposited then withdrawn and redeposited minus £100 or something. It took me ages and several calls to discover that it wasn't the payee who was playing a game but my own bank who upon discovering at the end of the days count up that their till was short had decided that my payee must have short changed them (as he'd paid in cash) and had simply decided to make the books balance by raping my account. :yes:

"Can you hear yourself saying this" was the politest part of our subsequent conversation, a complaint was lodged, responded to with standard worded apologies and I had the amount returned with a £50 goodwill compensation. 

I would call the bank and protest. 

That's a **** take.

What about if you had've withdrawn it already? I thought I'd enter this thread and read about some security problem elsewhere rather than with the bank, but I am surprised. I wouldn't be happy at all if this happened to me.

The only (kind of) similar thing I've had is when booking.com took payment for a holiday twice in error from my account. The payments were in a 'pending' type state so the bank were able to quickly cancel one of them, but I doubt they took it from booking.com's account - it didn't get that far.