Fireworks ban

team tractor

I’ve noticed a petition on Facebook that’s been started to ban the sale  of fireworks to the general public. 

Its a government petition so it’s official and already has 30,000 votes. 

Now I agree that to many kids get hold of them but is it right ? Surely they can do something else.

drugs are illegal but easy to buy so surely it won’t make a difference? I think it’s the minority spoiling it for the majority again.

we used to buy bangers after school and had loads of fun up the local woods :) 

i think it’s been 10 years since bangers were banned . We still used crow scarers off the rope . I’m only 36 and it’s changing fast

5F4981EF-371E-4449-B2BC-77FE79D39BF3.png

Screen shots 7 minutes apart so it’s an alarming rate  

F523A1BB-57D0-4EA1-8A8B-8BE1A4A1B64C.png

Edited by team tractor

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another thing the cotton wool brigade wants .to be honest iv expected this for some time .we had fun with bangers when we were kids my mum even brought us a couple boxes evry year (althogh we sent her mop bucket 10 ft in the air a few times) but we wasnt hurt or a problem to our neighburs at the same time . Im begining to think give it 10 years and we will only be allowed to sit in the houce on face book  becuase evrything elce will be banned 

I'm not a member cotton wol brigade and i wouldn't sign the petion either, a complete ban is too far but do u really need fireworks to be sold 12months of the year??

When i was a kid u could buy them for a few weeks of year about now and that was it, don't really have a probelm with that.

The problem with fireworks is ur imposing wot u want on all ur nieghbours without asking them,  and do u really need fireworks all year anyway

Have u ever been to a party/event and though tit was rubbish purely because the lack of fireworks??

Must admit i now live out in the sticks but right beside a wedding venue, on a busy week it can have a pro display 4-5 nights a week, for me it shows a lack of respect from the hotel to the rest of us locals who have to live with it and put up with it constantly throu the year.

If i have pups in the future i might have to whelp them elsewhere purely because of the fireworks, field to the other side of hotel have horses in them

Illegal to buy at a certain age. Sort that out 1st.

Ilegal to use in the street.

Sort that out

And if used to deliberately try and hit someone then use the firearm law to sort out. 

Controls are already in place so use them in stead of pussyfooting around already existing laws. 

6 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Sort that out

And if used to deliberately try and hit someone then use the firearm law to sort out. 

Controls are already in place so use them in stead of pussyfooting around already existing laws. 

Fully agree! We have enough laws to sort out most things if they were used so we don't need any more!

8 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Sort that out

errrr???? yes Dougy, I do agree, but who is going to enforce it. Our pussy footing police refuse to deal with real crime.

With regard to the Hotel then go through your local Parish Council, then District Council and have them sort it with planning permission.  You need to get sufficient support via letters and have them written on paper....too easy to delete e mails.     If you sat against the boundary of their property shooting pigeons/crows all day I bet there would be hell to play.

It doesn't bother me either way, as I haven't bought fireworks for years and years. I wouldn't sign anything like that though as it's just more erosion of our civil liberties. I'm so fed up being told what we can't do. 

I agree that fireworks should only be sold for say 2 weeks before 5th November and maybe a week after to get rid of the surplus stock. 

10 minutes ago, walshie said:

It doesn't bother me either way, as I haven't bought fireworks for years and years. I wouldn't sign anything like that though as it's just more erosion of our civil liberties. I'm so fed up being told what we can't do. 

I agree that fireworks should only be sold for say 2 weeks before 5th November and maybe a week after to get rid of the surplus stock. 

Isn’t restricting the period of sale also eroding civil liberties? What about celebrations nothing to do with November 5th? New year, parties, festivals, etc?

Personally, I think they should be licensed in the same way as firearms, with restrictions on supermarket sales. They are small explosives, after all.

I rather enjoy fireworks and watching other peoples displays.

Just like shooting there is plenty of law available to hit people who misuse them, but unlike shooting everyone gets to enjoy the neighbours fireworks display unlike having to tolerate the far longer duration of banging from a shoot where only those involved can appreciate it.

Sell them all year round I say but perhaps put a curfew of 2300 on letting them off. More use through the year would also help the sensitive types become desensitised. 

As usual the actions of the few are likely to spoil it for the many.........but other posters are right, it's a lack of enforcement of the law, and "soft" sentencing by the courts that's to blame, just yesterday I went to the local village, two cars parked in disabled places with no blue badge on display! A scaffolding lorry parked on the zigzag marks on a zebra crossing! And a cyclist riding at speed along the pavement! Several cars parked half way on half way off the pavement! Several cars parked on double yellow lines.........not an enforcement officer to be seen, anywhere!

Strange that the law requires you to hold an explosive licence to buy, transport, store and keep black powder....but you can purchase and store without any licence whatsoever, as many fireworks containing as much black powder as you wish to obtain! 🤔

And whilst on the subject, you can buy as many cartridges, containing as much black powder as you want, by just showing a SGC....but you need a BP licence to purchase, transport, store and keep, even an ounce of black powder! 🤔

43 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

errrr???? yes Dougy, I do agree, but who is going to enforce it. Our pussy footing police refuse to deal with real crime.

Yes there lies another problem that is actually a bigger problem than the fireworks. 

Having a country that has law breakers doing what they want with NO consequence whatsoever. And that is far far worse that the crimes being committed.  

41 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Im having a family fire works show in our back garden this evening .

Its great to get every one together and celebrate. 

Just not the same going to a public display .

Ps unless its a proper fireworks shop .

Tescos etc can only sell them for 3 weeks .

2 before and 1 after nov 5 .

I’m having some tomorrow night as It’s our anniversary. Little fire in the corner. Perfect 👌 

41 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Strange that the law requires you to hold an explosive licence to buy, transport, store and keep black powder....but you can purchase and store without any licence whatsoever, as many fireworks containing as much black powder as you wish to obtain! 🤔

And whilst on the subject, you can buy as many cartridges, containing as much black powder as you want, by just showing a SGC....but you need a BP licence to purchase, transport, store and keep, even an ounce of black powder! 🤔

No license required for cartridges tho. I can leave them all around the house unlocked with anyone having access. Laughable really isn’t it

50 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Bangers are banned?? That's saddening.

Haven’t bought them for 20 years almost. We used to throw them in pill boxes ( checked they were empty first ) 

it was a right laugh at 15-16

36 minutes ago, peck said:

The petition has to be signed by something like 100,000 people before it has to be debated in parliament. to say it is an official government petition is misleading.

37,000 now

I think a lot of the problem over the last few years is, the availability of display fireworks to joe public. Some of this stuff is ordnance. When i was a kid a banger could go off in your hand and it would give the other kids a laugh, some of the stuff out there now will take your ruddy hand off.

Edited by la bala

7 minutes ago, la bala said:

I think a lot of the problem over the last few years is, the availability of display fireworks to joe public. Some of this stuff is ordnance. When i was a kid a banger could go of in you hand and it would give the other kids a laugh, some of the stuff out there now will take your ruddy hand off.

Yep, I was going to write something similar, I think this is the problem when I was in my teens all you could get was the "Standard" boxed fireworks, now you can pretty much but display firwarks and set them of in you garden (I've been guilty of this too), I went to the firework display at Battersea last night and it was amazing in both vision and sound but on the way back to the train station there were private ones going off that were louder than the ones at the display.

I enjoy fireworks over a limited time, but plenty of folk don't, pet owners for one, and when they seemed to have stopped then someone starts again at half eleven is bleeding annoying.

Might be ten years ago now but driving home from work sat in traffic and some idiots used a length of drain pipe to fire a firework at the the cars, bounced off you road and hit the car in front, i couldn't get my window up fast enough.

Stopped at the pretend police station, a walk in desk to report it, o yes sir happened a few times today 😯😯😯 they weren't interested at all

My old vsizla would happily sit in the open back of my Landie whilst I zeroed rifles 25yrds away and he would fall asleep.  Even the distnat 'woof'  ...... no pun intended of a rocket going off in the next village and he would in the corner of the kitchen shaking.  I had to drive him around up on the Downs one weekend near Marlborough when a show was going on in the town so he couldn't hear them.  They do cause a huge amount of distress to dogs in particular and must effect wildlife in general. 

One does wonder if this is promoted by lobbyists for the firework display trade. Like the HS2 project, which to date, I have as yet not met one person who supports it.