Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wymberley

Oops!

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, hambone said:

Take a brave traffic cop to pull out the breathalyser there. 😂 

Indeed..😉  Thankfully no one was injured

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far too old to be capable of driving a car safely. Ageism my *****! And yes i'm aware many drivers of all age can be a danger to the road....

It's not been that long since an old lady forgot which pedal was the brake, and hit the accelerator, mounted the pavement and seriously injured a group of school girls.

In summing up, the judge said words to the affect that ageism is no excuse to allow people to drive when they are very much past it. And the Government should wake up and do something about. 

Not as in ban them from driving but, at least be able to pass a basic safety test. Don't recall exactly when, but believe it was in the west midlands.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does this make him a 'Duke of Hazard ' then   !

I wish people would stop using racing drivers as a reference to superior driving capabilities. There is a world of difference in driving flat out on a racetrack and dealing with the constant 'Hazards'  encountered on a public road. The ability to recognize those hazards and act accordingly, BEFORE you reach them, means reading the road ahead at a much greater distance than the average motorist does. Hence the reason for giving a commentary on an Advanced Motorist course, it makes you look further ahead, in order to plan what you are going to say next. In this incident    OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH  ****     was probably appropriate  !

Edited by Westley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's had a bump so what,if it had been anybody else then it wouldn't make the news.I bet there where 100's involved in accidents that very same day all over the country of all ages.However its taken the heat of Brexit ahh.

I hope im still driving at 80 never mind 90 odd.How would PWers feel if someone decided that at 60 your to old to hold a SGS or FAC ?

Edited by Davyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Davyo said:

He's had a bump so what,if it had been anybody else then it wouldn't make the news.I bet there where 100's involved in accidents that very same day all over the country of all ages.However its taken the heat of Brexit ahh.

I hope im still driving at 80 never mind 90 odd.How would PWers feel if someone decided that at 60 your to old to hold a SGS or FAC ?

nothing to do with driving!,

every 5 yrs you will be checked to make sure you are medically fit to have a firearm

Edited by andrewluke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrewluke said:

nothing to do with driving!,

every 5 yrs you will be checked to make sure you are medically fit to have a firearm

A lot can happen in 5yrs when your old.If you don't go to the doctors for fear of losing your driving licence or Gun certs.Its no different from an old person who doent  want to lose his DL.Plus they have to re apply be assessed  ever 3 yrs .On my FAC/SGC renewal FEO couldn't be bothered  to pay me a visit.

Wife could of been sitting there with a black eye & me tanked up for all he knew..

Edited by Davyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hambone said:

Take a brave traffic cop to pull out the breathalyser there. 😂 

It seems both drivers were breathalysed..🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i bet Mahomed el-Fiad is having a bit of a giggle right now..................and a certain blonde princess who is upstairs is waving 2 fingers at him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at least he was smart enough to wear his seatbelt, unlike a certain princess!

 

David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

Well at least he was smart enough to wear his seatbelt, unlike a certain princess!

 

David.

there is a difference,one was "accident" and the other was murder,in my opinion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was also the other (possibly most dangerous) factor to consider,other vehicle contained two women, 😲

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

There was also the other (possibly most dangerous) factor to consider,other vehicle contained two women, 😲

don't forget the 9 month old baby who was also in the car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it amazing how many people have views on this incident without knowing the full facts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JDog said:

Isn't it amazing how many people have views on this incident without knowing the full facts?

Indeed! Do you think we will ever know the full story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDog said:

Isn't it amazing how many people have views on this incident without knowing the full facts?

Exactly. However it does appear that the Duke pulled out infront of the other car and she hit the Discovery amidships flipping it over.  

With regard to age then I have to stand by my comment ..ageism..regardless of what any Judge might say, the statistics and my experience as an accident investigator for 14yrs and a traffic officer for 8 yrs prior to that.  In that time I saw more carnage on the streets by dangerous and careless driving by 20 to 30yr olds than by anyone older people.  You need, like me to have been there. I had a young 19yr old girl die on my shoulder after her 21yr old boy friend was travelling to fast and hit a substantial concrete lamp post. I then had to go tell her parents. I had the job of helping firemen cut a 45yrs old from the seat of a car which went of a straight section of road and burst into flames melting him into the seat. Evidence showed he had been drinking heavily at a local pub.  Found a relatively new MG sports car flattened against an oak tree on a slight bend but could not find the driver. He, the 23 yr old was found 30yrds into the field at dawn, where he had been thrown in the impact . I could relate many many more.  I have great difficulty in recollecting any serious accidents I went to in those years where it was age related.

Edited by Walker570

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCC have been "looking"...at putting "measures".....on this section for years...and now are going to start "tomorrow".........:lol:

pity the crash wasnt on the Acle straight............this time next year we would have been driving on a duel carrigeway...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

don't forget the 9 month old baby who was also in the car!

Yep hardly any mention of the other party, all Sky News is blathering on about is the duke....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

NCC have been "looking"...at putting "measures".....on this section for years...and now are going to start "tomorrow".........:lol:

pity the crash wasnt on the Acle straight............this time next year we would have been driving on a duel carrigeway...

You are absolutely correct Simon.  I go back to 1969/70 when I used to help the school crossing lady on the A452 at Balsall Common. You took your life in your hands even in a police uniform.  I suggested that Keep Left signs be put down the centre of the road for about 500yrds but it was turned down by the local authority. A month or so later a lorry had a brake failure approaching the traffic island at the top end of the stretch and the driver skillfully avoided colliding with about six cars and vans but went straight over the island and hit a grandfather and grandaughter crossing at the pedestrian crossing killing them.    Amazingly money wa found to put in, not only the keep left signs but also another tarrfic island and pedestrian lights instead of a school crossing lady.  How often did I see this in my service. Someone has to get killed before anything is done, even today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

You are absolutely correct Simon.  I go back to 1969/70 when I used to help the school crossing lady on the A452 at Balsall Common. You took your life in your hands even in a police uniform.  I suggested that Keep Left signs be put down the centre of the road for about 500yrds but it was turned down by the local authority. A month or so later a lorry had a brake failure approaching the traffic island at the top end of the stretch and the driver skillfully avoided colliding with about six cars and vans but went straight over the island and hit a grandfather and grandaughter crossing at the pedestrian crossing killing them.    Amazingly money wa found to put in, not only the keep left signs but also another tarrfic island and pedestrian lights instead of a school crossing lady.  How often did I see this in my service. Someone has to get killed before anything is done, even today.

The usual tactic of self-serving politicians trying to close of the stable door!...........usually its "**** council tax payers safety......why would we spend money on that, when we can buy more votes by giving huge grants to minority causes?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

any other 97 yr old and there would be queues to join the firing squad

They'd be wasting their time with him anyway. With the amount of flack that he's had incoming over the years, having reached the ripe old age of 97 he's become damned good at dodging it.

Am I not right in thinking that on this occasion the council already had this down for discussion before the accident.

Nice one, Kalahari!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wymberley said:

They'd be wasting their time with him anyway. With the amount of flack that he's had incoming over the years, having reached the ripe old age of 97 he's become damned good at dodging it.

 

use something copper coated and he would stand a chance😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, andrewluke said:

there is a difference,one was "accident" and the other was murder,in my opinion!

I don't really think so on a number of grounds, but the main one was that of the four people in the Paris car, one was wearing a seatbelt and survived and three weren't and died. Crashing one of those big mercs with everybody strapped in just isn't a reliable enough way to get the job done.

David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wot boils my wee about this is the poor people who he pulled out on, not a mention about them and he gets all the sympathy and a new one del the following day

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...