Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wilber

Buying first gun, does it matter if I use a field gun mainly for Clay's?

Recommended Posts

Hi I'm about to buy my first gun. I seem to prefer the weight and feel of a field/game gun. I'm shooting mainly Clay's, does it matter if use a field gun for clay sporting shooting? 

Does anyone else do this? 

Thanks Sean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it fit? Can you swing it nice and smooth i.e. it doesn't have 34" magnum proofed tubes? Does it come with multi chokes (we all like to fiddle whether we admit it or not - also gives an added excuse if we miss an easy bird)? Is it a decent brand so you wont lose much money if you change after a year or so? If yes then you are on to a winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No not one bit, I use a Spanish game gun that fitted me from the moment I picked it up, I **** the best round of clays I had ever done when I went out and tried it before I bought it from parklodge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

said it yourself in opening question.  if your shooting clays go for one thats designed for clays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, lots of people use a side by side or game gun/field  for clays but if your going to shoot often and 50/75/100/150 sporting  something around 7llb 7. 5 llb would be more suitable with recoil, this is not to say a lighter weight will not do, what ever you buy just enjoy using, good luck      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None at all really. The most important thing with buying a shotgun is, does it feel right and does it fit me.  Take someone with some general shooting experience along with you when selecting and don't always follow what the store  is telling you .... they want to sell a gun and it might not be the right one for you .  I had experience of this when a neighbour asked me to accompany him to a gun store. He wanted a shotgun for bird shooting on a local syndicate.  I looked along those on offer and picked out a really nice, like new O/U light weight sporter style, which when he mounted it was just the job.  The store owner then intervened and led him to some far more expensive guns. Heavier and I could see he was having trouble instictively mounting.  He purchased that one.   6 months later he sold it.  Nuff said.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, lots of people use a side by side or game gun/field  for clays but if your going to shoot often and 50/75/100/150 sporting  something around 7llb 7. 5 llb would be more suitable with recoil, this is not to say a lighter weight will not do, what ever you buy just enjoy using, good luck      

+1 I would buy the heaviest gun you feel comfortable with if you are semi serious about shooting sporting clays. Yes, some people will say they get on fine with their game guns but sporters are heavier for a reason. I regularly take my SxS to shoot a round for fun but shooting any volume in a short space of time with a light gun and you will feel it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can use whatever but as others have said ,a gun built for the job will ultimately be the best idea if you are mainly shooting clays.

Hth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with all the above. It must feel right whatever you buy and in general a good quality used gun will be your best bet as you will invariably change or buy others so starting with something that fits you and has a reasonable chance of resale is a good way to go. Avoid anything too light weight as it will knock you about. Conversely anything too heavy will be a pain if you want to lug it around a field. 7-7.5lb is sound advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only shoot clays would I buy a game gun no i wouldn’t 

Gordon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey....thanks for the replies and great advice. I've just borrowed an old 682 super sport (from a local shop) to use tomorrow....feels great. There is also a 686e in another shop. Any prefrences over these 2 guns? 

Thanks Sean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Sean.. I would say you definitely gonna need at least two guns, and perhaps a 20 or 28g as well, have you bought a 6 or 9 gun cabinet ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sean Wilson said:

Hey....thanks for the replies and great advice. I've just borrowed an old 682 super sport (from a local shop) to use tomorrow....feels great. There is also a 686e in another shop. Any prefrences over these 2 guns? 

Thanks Sean

Both good guns go for whichever feels the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Both good guns go for whichever feels the best

The 686e looks brand new and is a little more in price but the 682 instantly felt great, seemed lighter and very comfortable...

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

 Sean.. I would say you definitely gonna need at least two guns, and perhaps a 20 or 28g as well, have you bought a 6 or 9 gun cabinet ?

Lol...you may be right...gonna start with 1 first. 3 gun case at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, islandgun said:

 Sean.. I would say you definitely gonna need at least two guns, and perhaps a 20 or 28g as well, have you bought a 6 or 9 gun cabinet ?

How true, how true:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy whatever fits and you feel comfortable to use weight wise.

If buying used a game gun will usually have been shot far less than a sporter so less worn.

Good luck and enjoy your choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the day with the missus and took my s686, an aya no4 and the gp greener. Not one is a 'sporter'.

I've owned a sporter but didn't shoot anywhere near aswell as I do with the s686. 

It's also the first time I've take the aya clay shooting and was smashing the driven birds with it, well chuffed. 

Buy what fits and what your comfortable with 👍 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2019 at 19:32, Farmboy91 said:

I went to the day with the missus and took my s686, an aya no4 and the gp greener. Not one is a 'sporter'.

I've owned a sporter but didn't shoot anywhere near aswell as I do with the s686. 

It's also the first time I've take the aya clay shooting and was smashing the driven birds with it, well chuffed. 

Buy what fits and what your comfortable with 👍 

Thanks for that

On 16/03/2019 at 19:07, Brodie said:

Buy whatever fits and you feel comfortable to use weight wise.

If buying used a game gun will usually have been shot far less than a sporter so less worn.

Good luck and enjoy your choice

Yes, true...thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sean Wilson said:

Thanks for that

Yes, true...thanks

No problem, its easy for everyone to say buy this and do that but when you pick the right gun up you'll know, it'll all start coming together from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With the 686 Beretta the only difference is the stock dimensions and some of the game barrels have full mid ribs and beads. How they soak up recoil and shoot if they fit you won't matter.

I have both game and clay guns, I do use both types on clays but a dedicated clay gun is built for it.

Edited by figgy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, figgy said:

With the 686 Beretta the only difference is the stock dimensions and some of the game barrels have full mid ribs and beads. How they soak up recoil and shoot if they fit you won't matter.

I have both game and clay guns, I do use both types on clays but a dedicated clay gun is built for it.

Hi Figgy

At the weekend I borrowed then bought, an old 682 supersport. Quite old but lovely feel and balance, very solid. The think the balance made if feel light. I'm now happy.

Regards.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Hi Figgy

At the weekend I borrowed then bought, an old 682 supersport. Quite old but lovely feel and balance, very solid. The think the balance made if feel light. I'm now happy.

Regards.....

 

Excellent choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Hi Figgy

At the weekend I borrowed then bought, an old 682 supersport. Quite old but lovely feel and balance, very solid. The think the balance made if feel light. I'm now happy.

Regards.....

 

Well done Mate!:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You have bought a very good gun that will serve you well and not loose a heap.of money. If kept in good condition you should get your money back if you sell in future.

Unlike the Kreighoff on the gun shop shop at IWA 90k for some nice wood and custom engraving, they must have lost the plot. It's the same gun to shoot as any other parcours. Will probably loose money like a new luxury car.

Edited by figgy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...