Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, henry d said:

I'm not shopping at all since Monday due to self isolating and there was plenty of fresh stuff but few tins/jars.

Great quote from the radio earlier, there seems to be a limitless supply of stupid across the country! 🤣

Yes plenty of stupid!

6 minutes ago, henry d said:

I'm not shopping at all since Monday due to self isolating and there was plenty of fresh stuff but few tins/jars.

Great quote from the radio earlier, there seems to be a limitless supply of stupid across the country! 🤣

It’s come to the point now if they put dog **** on the shelf some dull **** would buy it 😁

Edited by blackbird

Which is why its time to get rid of the "should" "ought to" instructions from gov't and replace them with "you will" and "you must". This is too great an emergency to be nice about it. BoJo has to stop worrying about his popularity. His hero Churchill rarely did.

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

London is a massive international Hub, we have Heathrow Airport with five terminals all going flat out, Gatwick Airport with two terminals, Stanstead Airport, London Luton and London City airport all flying in huge numbers of people from all over the world every day. All the airports feeding travellers into the city by rail and bus links. 

I am genuinely surprised we are not way out in front of Italy 

Simply due to the rigorous testing of all of those arriving. 🤣

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

I am sorry to be the bearer of good news lads, but only TWO new cases in Wuhan since Monday, I don’t think I would have a job at the BBC as a reporter.

(I'm guessing chaps - so don't get ya knickers in a twist) I hope that is underlined and bold enough and I think we are allowed to guess on here anyway. Anyone who KNOWS or sticks their head above the paraphet to guess different are invited to discuss my thoughts.

China has had more time and potential duped/forced/unknowing volunteers to try out a raft of drugs - some of which may work on the immunity system, maybe even DNA, so may have quietly found a treatment that reduces or clears the issues while the rest of the world will take a lot longer to catch up because of in depth testing procedures.

S'pose I'll get slated for muting the possibility without proof but who really knows what has gone on over there.

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

🤣

use to be funny when Terry Wogan did the comments on the acts , was not worth watching after he packed it in.

Talking to a my old  retired Vet today he was saying yanks have done a fast forward on a vaccine for the virus.

would normally take ages with testing in this country but they've cracked on with "some 100 or so disposables" to try it out.

don't know if there's any truth to it.

Edited by Remimax

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Just a heads up for those who might be buying Nurofen to ease the symptoms of the virus, Ibuprofen is a major ingredient of Nurofen.

Completely factual post, WOW 😳 😜

4 hours ago, Dave-G said:

(I'm guessing chaps - so don't get ya knickers in a twist) I hope that is underlined and bold enough and I think we are allowed to guess on here anyway. Anyone who KNOWS or sticks their head above the paraphet to guess different are invited to discuss my thoughts.

China has had more time and potential duped/forced/unknowing volunteers to try out a raft of drugs - some of which may work on the immunity system, maybe even DNA, so may have quietly found a treatment that reduces or clears the issues while the rest of the world will take a lot longer to catch up because of in depth testing procedures.

S'pose I'll get slated for muting the possibility without proof but who really knows what has gone on over there.

My inclination is that the figures from China are not as honest as they might have us believe.  Personally I don't think the Chinese would be sitting on a cure and saying nowt, they will lose out in a very big way if the rest of the world has a massive economic shock.

I do think that you are absolutely right that experimental treatments are more likely in China than in western economies, nobody ever sued the state in China.

There have been a number of press articles suggesting that virus outbreaks have been left to go unchecked in many parts of the country, most notably in the 're-education' camps for the Uighurs in Xinjiang.  As you say, who really knows what has gone on, or is still going on.

7 minutes ago, grrclark said:

It's a scary number, the average daily death rate in Italy is around 1,760 so a 27% uptick.

The average daily death rate in the UK is around 1,690 and our population is about 10% bigger.

How many of the 475 would have died anyway though? Did they die of Coronavirus or die with it?

Just now, AVB said:

How many of the 475 would have died anyway though? Did they die of Coronavirus or die with it?

That is a key question, i have not seen any stats that say it is a genuine 27% uptick above the baseline mortality rate, just a straight extrapolation based on other published numbers.  I guess we will see a few months or so down the line.

There will be a short term increase, but whether that is meaningful statistically in the longer term remains to be seen.

9 hours ago, blackbird said:

I am sorry to be the bearer of good news lads, but only TWO new cases in Wuhan since Monday, I don’t think I would have a job at the BBC as a reporter.

That sounds like good news but it is probably a false dawn.  China's still in big trouble.

We have to keep in mind the varying strategies of different countries.  China locked the place down to suppress transmission of the virus between people, therefore new cases have fallen.  As it stands, I don't know the numbers, but X percent of the people in Wuhan have contracted the disease, leaving Y percent yet to be exposed to it.  Z percent have died from it.  I suspect at the moment X is a relatively small number, Y is a mind bogglingly high number and Z will increase to an amount that will take your breath away.

The virus is simply artificially suppressed at the moment, like standing on the lid of a pressure cooker.  If the lid comes off it's going to explode, big time.  It doesn't matter if it's next week or next year.  As long as the virus still exists in just one person, whoever hasn't been exposed to the virus and acquired immunity to it WILL still get it - unless an effective vaccine has been developed and successfully introduced.  Acquired immunity is what our medical bods are currently pinning their hopes on but it's not proven yet, hence the debate over its riskiness.

We're all guinea pigs in this!

I've just been standing at the bedroom window , the black Country is eerily silent this morning.  You can usually hear the sounds of nightshifts  and  the m6  in the distance , but right now ,just silence.

Edited by mel b3