Could you self isolate?

Davyo

17 minutes ago, AVB said:

I get that and it makes some sense. My response was to Retsdon’s normal rant about how the U.K. government isn’t doing enough (which is rich coming from somebody who lives in Saudi) and his statement was that the isolation of over 70’s was to slow the spread. 

There was a sensible doctor on Radio 2 at lunch time who said it was all about risk management. A fit, active 71 year old was lower risk than a 95 year old with health problems (and also compared with a 65 year old with health problems).  So saying that 70 is the cutoff seems a blunt instrument to me. 

Agreed and yes, Retsdon is somewhat of a catastrophist.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

Agreed and yes, Retsdon is somewhat of a catastrophist.

The link above is edited. This one is better. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/italy-doctor-corona-not-flu/ You need to scroll down towards the bottom of the page to see the full series of tweets from the doctor in Bergamo.

Edited by Retsdon

5 hours ago, henry d said:

So my wife and I ended up playing a demented pacman game trying to avoid them.

Reminds me of having to fulfill one of the most tedious duties of a teacher: exam invigilation. With row upon row of students working away in the main hall those in on the game would act out the pacman and ghosts roles in that slow-motion exam invigilation walk, while trying not to get rumbled by senior leadership.

6 hours ago, AVB said:

So by isolating 20% of the population this will stop the spread? Of course not. This is supposedly about protecting them when many don’t want protecting. 

If it was about everybody isolating I could understand (and the government have said that they may do this when the time is right) but this is only about the over 70’s at the moment. 

It isn’t just the over 70s, it is anyone of any age who has underlying medical issues and that is a far bigger percentage of people who are asked to self isolate for that length of time.

older generations have lived through some pretty hard times.  I’m middle aged so born after the strains of the Second World War.   It might be one more sacrifice our country ask of them to give up their freedom for 12 weeks for the greater good just a thought.

we certainly need the mentality of countries where we act as one   My generation and younger need to step up and be organised into ensuring older generations are cared for during this awful imposed isolation.  Not just our own families but those without family.  

We are always saying or hearing how “great” Britain is well maybe now is the time to actually show it.

22 minutes ago, Sian said:

It isn’t just the over 70s, it is anyone of any age who has underlying medical issues and that is a far bigger percentage of people who are asked to self isolate for that length of time.

older generations have lived through some pretty hard times.  I’m middle aged so born after the strains of the Second World War.   It might be one more sacrifice our country ask of them to give up their freedom for 12 weeks for the greater good just a thought.

we certainly need the mentality of countries where we act as one   My generation and younger need to step up and be organised into ensuring older generations are cared for during this awful imposed isolation.  Not just our own families but those without family.  

We are always saying or hearing how “great” Britain is well maybe now is the time to actually show it.

hello, a good post Sian:good:

Hello and thank you.   I work in a school for 2 to,7 yr olds.  They will eventually close schools but we have decided that voluntarily we will stay open to care for children of Drs, nurses, police etc etc.  Any children not just the ones we have now.   We work next door to the Royal Free Hospital in London and they are one of the centres for this.  Many of our parents are health workers. We need them and they will need us.

I started this thread with tounge in cheek.What a tool.After the latest government announcement I may have to work from home for 12/15 weeks due to my COPD ( not smoking related I'd like to add).I have consultation with my manager in the morning.Stay safe folks & look out for each other. 

Just looking at the state of the two front running democratic candidates,especially Sanders.  Travelling the country,meeting huge crowds they seem oblivious to the risk. If they can carry on as they are and make it through all this, then there is plenty of hope for us old uns.

Well that escalated quickly!

Now I have to self isolate for 14 days and my wife has to join me, however it may be a good thing as she works in a school for children with severe, complex and usually multiple disabilities and most are vulnerable to health issues and to be honest I hope they close the whole school.

3 minutes ago, henry d said:

Well that escalated quickly!

Now I have to self isolate for 14 days and my wife has to join me, however it may be a good thing as she works in a school for children with severe, complex and usually multiple disabilities and most are vulnerable to health issues and to be honest I hope they close the whole school.

Has it been confirmed you have it or just suspect symptoms ?  

I went into this before ,by not testing you, your wife as also been dragged into this. If you had others in your household they would also have been affected. I believe the lack of testing is greatly multiplying the amount of people having to self isolate purely on suspicion.

1 hour ago, Sian said:

Hello and thank you.   I work in a school for 2 to,7 yr olds.  They will eventually close schools but we have decided that voluntarily we will stay open to care for children of Drs, nurses, police etc etc.  Any children not just the ones we have now.   We work next door to the Royal Free Hospital in London and they are one of the centres for this.  Many of our parents are health workers. We need them and they will need us.

I hope that spirit prevails and i'm confident it will in the main.  Pragmatic realism is definitely to be preferred to doom-mongering, catastrophising and hand wringing.

One of my friends is a care worker, she has developed symptoms as a consequence of one her charges having symptoms, so they are isolating together so she can continue to provide care, effectively separating herself from her family for the benefit of the person requiring care.

It is still way more likely not to be covid19, however plan for the worst and hope for the best.

3 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

I went into this before ,by not testing you, your wife as also been dragged into this. If you had others in your household they would also have been affected. I believe the lack of testing is greatly multiplying the amount of people having to self isolate purely on suspicion.

Which in turn forces separation, albeit at the cost of some uncertainty and anguish.

Our testing regime does not have sufficient capacity yet to test everyone, so focus is given to the area of highest criticality.  

35 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Symptom only, the doctors surgery is closed to all but emergencies due to contact with a confirmed case, but as I have said in this case I believe that it is better for my wife not to be at work and the school to close.

3 hours ago, Sian said:

We have started a village help group to help out the less able by collecting shopping and doing small errands. Currently more volunteers than takers 🙂 

11 hours ago, AVB said:

If we are all asked to isolate it would be because the health experts feel it is the best way to control the spread of the virus at that point in time. I get that. But asking a small proportion of the population to isolate is not about slowing the spread.  It is about protecting them. What if the don’t want protecting? What if they want to carry on living their life and and managing the risks associated with that themselves? If they want to go sky diving (which is dangerous) then let them. 

You could say the same thing about seat belts and bike helmets surely? The risk is to the individual and yet law states you must take the precaution...

53 minutes ago, oowee said:

We have started a village help group to help out the less able by collecting shopping and doing small errands. Currently more volunteers than takers 🙂 

Could you please explain your method of disinfecting goods delivered and methods to avoid any cross contamination from the goods and or moneys/ change used to pay for the transaction ? 

just curious 

10 hours ago, henry d said:

I was working as much as possible due to me finishing working/retiring again in a few weeks time and I`m petty much done in

That's why you have shingles. You are probably more susceptible to corona at the mo too. Keep yourself safe.

I had shingles recently for the second time. Didn't go to the doctors because I knew what it was anyway.

Found that the pain isn't unbearable but by goodness it wears you down, it felt like someone was putting a cigarette out on me for a week or more.

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Symptom only, the doctors surgery is closed to all but emergencies due to contact with a confirmed case, but as I have said in this case I believe that it is better for my wife not to be at work and the school to close.

Get yaself some meds for shingles fela! What stage you at? Rash, blisters or scabs? I had it bad 5 mths ago for a while. Not good! Hurt bad! Similar symptoms to crono. Temperature, dry mouth,delirium and lethargy It can knock your immune system! Get it sorted. If you at scabs stage could be to late for meds to work tho. I felt like carp for ages!    NB

Small businesses such as cafes, restaurants etc around here are carrying on as normal thankfully. They need the business or they’ll fold, and as the government has made the shutdown optional as yet ( no doubt so they don’t have to pay compensation )  nor is there a curfew as yet, then they’ll continue to do so. 
I phoned three clients yesterday and they’re still wanting to go ahead with work already planned, so I’m carrying on as normal for as long as possible too, as I’m self employed. 
If the banks, utilities, mortgage companies, council tax etc etc want to freeze their revenue gathering until this is over, then I’ll be more than happy to stay at home. Meanwhile I still have bills to pay. 

Edited by Scully

same here, people are saying it will get very bad here soon like Italy France Spain within days probably all be on lockdown, people buying all the pasta and toilet rolls panicking  leaving nothing for the older people who genuinely need it . Selfish xxxxx, at least there’s plenty of larger and peanuts left on the shelves for me