JDog

Game book extract.

A friend, about whom I have written in the past, sent me an extract from his game book today. It was about an afternoon we had on drilled barley when I still lived in the Cotswolds. I reproduce it here in an attempt to cheer up those pigeon shooters who are frustrated at not being able to get out.

18th March.

What a truly magnificent spot this was on a lovely spring afternoon - simply my best ever day. John, despite his thousands, probably felt the same. Within minutes of putting up the hides backing onto a dry stone wall and arranging a pattern of dead birds around the magnet the pigeons started to come from every conceivable direction. They were high and fast in numbers ranging from singles to twenty at a time. We both shot some of our highest and fastest birds ever with a constant stream to chose from.

Sharing the last of my cartridges we eventually ran out. Despite a brief bad patch on my part we just could not go wrong. So fantastic to be in such a purple patch of form just when the pigeons were so exceptional.

A couple of pints in Stow on the Wold rounded off a great day.

Nice.  Old game reports are interesting. I once had the loan of a Game Book from the late 1800s early 1900s which related to the area around Elmdon, now Birmingham Airport and the NEC.  Over 300 rabbits shot walked up in a day !    over 500 partridges (greys) over the same area in a day to 6 guns and now it is just a block of concrete.

Edited by Walker570

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

A friend, about whom I have written in the past, sent me an extract from his game book today. It was about an afternoon we had on drilled barley when I still lived in the Cotswolds. I reproduce it here in an attempt to cheer up those pigeon shooters who are frustrated at not being able to get out.

18th March.

What a truly magnificent spot this was on a lovely spring afternoon - simply my best ever day. John, despite his thousands, probably felt the same. Within minutes of putting up the hides backing onto a dry stone wall and arranging a pattern of dead birds around the magnet the pigeons started to come from every conceivable direction. They were high and fast in numbers ranging from singles to twenty at a time. We both shot some of our highest and fastest birds ever with a constant stream to chose from.

Sharing the last of my cartridges we eventually ran out. Despite a brief bad patch on my part we just could not go wrong. So fantastic to be in such a purple patch of form just when the pigeons were so exceptional.

A couple of pints in Stow on the Wold rounded off a great day.

now why am i not surprised...............................it appears he has been doing this for years........

Truly a memorable day out with good company.

That's why I think that it's important to keep a game diary so that we may go back and remember such days, or any day really.

Something to read in our dotage (or even now when on lockdown) where no doubt every day will be brought back to mind with fond memories.

Thanks for sharing JDog.

OB

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

now why am i not surprised...............................it appears he has been doing this for years........

😂😂😂