Social change

stuartyboy

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

i think youre right . i also think that the nhs will be getting a very good looking at , and massive investment.

Well i suspect the first bit is correct, then it'll be decided they made such a bad job of it it needs privatising to sort it out, or some other lame excuse, if this lot are still in charge. I seriously hope i'm wrong but they used the global financial crash for their own ends, so why not this crisis? Sadly there doesn't seem to be an opposition at the moment though so difficult to see where we go.......

I am sorry if there is another thread about this. However I was also thinking this could effect people's views on climate change. The big evils of transport and air travel they talk about has been drastically reduced. Manufacturing activity also drastically cut. I am wondering if this can be scientifaly proven to have a significant effect on CO2 levels. 

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

I think the politicians will finally realise how much our NHS means to everyone in the UK, and woe betide any future government who is not seen by the electorate, to be backing, financing, supporting and valuing it!

I can’t get my head around how, after years of austerity, food banks, cuts to the NHS, homelessness, police and other emergency and public service.....the government can suddenly find countless billions of £ to pump into the UK economy to financially support it’s people, businesses etc, etc? Will the public ever again believe politicians, when they wring their hands, cry crocodile tears and tell us “we can’t afford it” 

Do we have some sort of reserve we are tapping into? 

I am under the impression, that this is all adding to the national debt. Tens of billions every month. 

Do you think we can afford it? It’s like a household constantly adding to their credit card bill pretending they can afford things. I’m not sure that’s how it works? 

They are already saying that we are going to have to pay more tax in the future after this. 

31 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Do we have some sort of reserve we are tapping into? 

I am under the impression, that this is all adding to the national debt. Tens of billions every month. 

Do you think we can afford it? It’s like a household constantly adding to their credit card bill pretending they can afford things. I’m not sure that’s how it works? 

They are already saying that we are going to have to pay more tax in the future after this. 

Debt yes! But debt to whom? All countries are spending their reserves and borrowing, trying to keep people alive! So all countries will be in the same boat......dunno of any country that has the monetary reserves to protect themselves and lend billions £ to the UK?.....

Whatever cost, It has to be done, if this country goes bankrupt? Many, many other will too!

23 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Debt yes! But debt to whom? All countries are spending their reserves and borrowing, trying to keep people alive! So all countries will be in the same boat......dunno of any country that has the monetary reserves to protect themselves and lend billions £ to the UK?.....

Whatever cost, It has to be done, if this country goes bankrupt? Many, many other will too!

I think they have over complicated things,  someone mentioned in another thread just giving people a set amount to live off, it's not like people are going out spending money,  but then it's all the other things people think they need, freezing mortgage payments and Bill's with enough for food would have been my way to go, got to cost less in the long run.

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I think they have over complicated things,  someone mentioned in another thread just giving people a set amount to live off, it's not like people are going out spending money,  but then it's all the other things people think they need, freezing mortgage payments and Bill's with enough for food would have been my way to go, got to cost less in the long run.

Agreed, people do not need money at the moment, we need food and our bills cancelled.

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

to my non financial mind , this seems like the obvious answer .  paying one person up to £2,500 per month (if thats what they earn ) , then only paying another person £1,000 per month (if thats what they earn ) , hardly seems fair. to my mind , the most fair way to do it would be.

single person . £400 per month

+ partner . £200 per month

+ kids . £100 each per month

freeze mortgage , gas , electricity , payments for a short period , cap food prices for a short period , and immediately close down any trader that tries to profiteer by increasing prices.

just keep the nation fed and watered until things start to return to some kind of normality.

11 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

What gets me, is if all countries are in huge debt, i.e USA is in trillions of dollars. Who is all the debt owed to?

If it's that bad, why not just reset global currency.

Governments bonds and paper are bought by all sorts, but mostly it will be very large managed investment funds, of which a great deal is pensions so ultimately that means that you and I, if you have a private pension, isa, endowments, etc, that are loaning the government our money for a fixed level of return.

35 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Governments bonds and paper are bought by all sorts, but mostly it will be very large managed investment funds, of which a great deal is pensions so ultimately that means that you and I, if you have a private pension, isa, endowments, etc, that are loaning the government our money for a fixed level of return.

I say if it gets that bad, tot up what everyone owns, and reprint a currency. Better than a 20 year recession.

6 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I say if it gets that bad, tot up what everyone owns, and reprint a currency. Better than a 20 year recession.

I am of the view that the rules of the normal play book no longer matter, everything right now is exceptional.  Things that just a month ago seemed inconceivable are happening around and about us and in pretty much every major economy in the world.

I think that radical approaches, that might otherwise seem inconceivable, are likely to happen.  There has been strong argument for a long time that the global economy needs to be rebalanced, maybe this is the time.

39 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I am of the view that the rules of the normal play book no longer matter, everything right now is exceptional.  Things that just a month ago seemed inconceivable are happening around and about us and in pretty much every major economy in the world.

I think that radical approaches, that might otherwise seem inconceivable, are likely to happen.  There has been strong argument for a long time that the global economy needs to be rebalanced, maybe this is the time.

Good assessment that.

On 27/03/2020 at 08:11, Jaymo said:

I think people have short memories and will return to their same habits?

What I would like to see is the compassion and neighbourhood spirit, to continue and supporting of elderly neighbours too

+1 nothing will change we will all go back to our selfish ways & carry on over populating + ######## up this little planet 🪐 

Edited by blackbird

On 27/03/2020 at 11:01, TRINITY said:

I am sorry if there is another thread about this. However I was also thinking this could effect people's views on climate change. The big evils of transport and air travel they talk about has been drastically reduced. Manufacturing activity also drastically cut. I am wondering if this can be scientifaly proven to have a significant effect on CO2 levels. 

Noooo, don’t be silly, climate change is all down to farmers!

Hopefully, there will be less food waste and perhaps people will start to grow their own veg, etc. There has been talk on the net of possible import shortages due to border controls, etc, so we need to get ahead of the game now.  It wouldn't do any harm to get many of the unemployed on work schemes, growing food for the uk and not relying on imports. 

1 hour ago, DoolinDalton said:

Hopefully, there will be less food waste and perhaps people will start to grow their own veg, etc. There has been talk on the net of possible import shortages due to border controls, etc, so we need to get ahead of the game now.  It wouldn't do any harm to get many of the unemployed on work schemes, growing food for the uk and not relying on imports. 

Good luck with getting the unemployed on work schemes & I don't mean the recently unemployed that have lost their jobs because of the virus I mean the long turm ones.

7 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Good luck with getting the unemployed on work schemes & I don't mean the recently unemployed that have lost their jobs because of the virus I mean the long turm ones.

I did think this. I already think those able should be out doing litter picking and such.

On 27/03/2020 at 09:31, panoma1 said:

I think the politicians will finally realise how much our NHS means to everyone in the UK, and woe betide any future government who is not seen by the electorate, to be backing, financing, supporting and valuing it!

I can’t get my head around how, after years of austerity, food banks, cuts to the NHS, homelessness, police and other emergency and public service.....the government can suddenly find countless billions of £ to pump into the UK economy to financially support it’s people, businesses etc, etc? Will the public ever again believe politicians, when they wring their hands, cry crocodile tears and tell us “we can’t afford it” 

Personally I ceased to believe after the Brexit debacle, they seemed determined to destroy from within? Just my jaded 3 pennyworth.

On 27/03/2020 at 09:35, Newbie to this said:

But the sad fact is, we cannot afford it.

It's going to cost the TAX payer a fortune, for many years to come.

A sad fact is that we can't afford to fund an NHS which is expected to cope with our ageing population, expanding population and funding  the new innovations in ongoing expectations and treatments? Maybe in part because it's expected that most participants are allowed to make profit?

50 minutes ago, blackbird said:

That was tried years ago, sadly I had to participate on the periphery of this, absolutely impossible to control them and that was before they became accustomed to todays permitted attitudes?

I think that the financial crisis to follow will shape  the futures of everyone except the golden few.

Edited by old man

2 hours ago, DoolinDalton said:

I think that sustainable agriculture, horticulture and home production of food will be the most essential thing for most people, Food fads, re-wilding, and other trendy ideas will take a back seat to food production...hopefully we will move into an era of looking after others without the divisiveness of the last few years....

Edited by islandgun

On 29/03/2020 at 15:20, 12gauge82 said:

What gets me, is if all countries are in huge debt, i.e USA is in trillions of dollars. Who is all the debt owed to?

If it's that bad, why not just reset global currency.

Debt is owed to the future generations as they will be the ones to suffer penury, either through attempting to pay it off or through reset.

Careful what you wish for with global reset. Many companies assets would disappear and we could be on the brink of a new dark age. Some believe that is now more debt in existence than the world can ever pay back.

37 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Debt is owed to the future generations as they will be the ones to suffer penury, either through attempting to pay it off or through reset.

Careful what you wish for with global reset. Many companies assets would disappear and we could be on the brink of a new dark age. Some believe that is now more debt in existence than the world can ever pay back.

Which is exactly why I think a reordering of wealth could be the answer, it's got to be better than total economic doom for the masses for the foreseeable future, I personally wouldn't shed any tears for the world's billionaires if overnight their vast wealth was reduced to a paltry million as their money was redistributed to the masses, they filled their boots in 2008 and the following decade, taking advantage of the working classes misfortune to take even more money from them.