Update from BASC / DEFRA

10 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Not wishing to get into a bun fight here , but for the guys that can't get their head around the way that this thing spreads ,try to remember that it started with just one person.

Whoever said that one person can't change the world , was wrong. 👍.

in a very crowded area

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Your point being? 

The point being A cross party group of Mps and Some police authorities are concerned about the rise in deaths and the testing shows more infected. And yet People are still using cars For non essential exercise" travelling too or dog walking etc. , And today police cameras show a 10% rise in traffic, So The Call to stay in doors is not being adhered to over this weekend . I can see further restrictions over the current restrictions which now look to be here into MAY.

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

The point being A cross party group of Mps and Some police authorities are concerned about the rise in deaths and the testing shows more infected. And yet People are still using cars For non essential exercise" travelling too or dog walking etc. , And today police cameras show a 10% rise in traffic, So The Call to stay in doors is not being adhered to over this weekend . I can see further restrictions over the current restrictions which now look to be here into MAY.

And you’re claiming this may be due to a few folk shooting pigeons ? I seriously doubt it. 

Edited by Scully

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

And you’re claiming this may be due to a few folk shooting pigeons ? I seriously doubt it. 

I did not claim any such thing. But i do think we may see more clarity, in any new restrictions regarding Such activity.

46 minutes ago, Scully said:

It was a question, not an accusation. You may be right, but I don’t think either will have anything to do with shooters, nor Hillsborough. The latter is simply emotive twaddle designed to achieve what? 

:lol:  Why ask? You already know the answer.

Stay at home

• Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

But an answer is not what you want anyway Right?

Answer that then. :yes:

Edited by lancer425

3 hours ago, grahamch said:

This thread is going so far off topic maybe it needs ending

I think you are right ,going way of topic and making very uncomfortable reading ,

Getting back to the start of the thread Basc should have been very clear in there statement and told everyone to follow the government guidelines as every other club or organization in the country has, does anyone know if any other groups have deciding that they should be exceptions  and carry on regardless.?

Just now, holloway said:

I think you are right ,going way of topic and making very uncomfortable reading ,

Getting back to the start of the thread Basc should have been very clear in there statement and told everyone to follow the government guidelines as every other club or organization in the country has, does anyone know if any other groups have deciding that they should be exceptions  and carry on regardless.?

Its only off topic due to the usual suspects bird dogging every avenue of reason to fudge the Governments requirements to fit in with some perverse playground inspired desire  to Peruse a sport at a time when its inappropriate unnecessary and  verging in illegal "justifying essential control might not be as straightforward as a letter from farmer giles In a test case" .

The sad fact and the point for the thread is its simply not clear, it could be argued it needs not to be clear. its unnecessary/ non essential.

But others seem convinced its necessary. Which is down to them. But the big rub here is these are not normal times.

The general public is locked down, doing its part as best it can to keep the NHS up and running saving lives.

The question really needs the government to clarify the situation exactly.

Sad but the clear concise well   meaning advise no matter how well worded, still does not address the situation directly.   And we can only hope that all of the pigeon and pest shooters that do need to go out because there really is plain and simple no other option whatsoever available. Have been responsible in their decision for their course of action.

If challenged to prove that decision, failure to provide adequate evidence to support their actions has the potential to get complicated.

There are other aspects of this which are possible  impact of such activity at this time on the image of the sport and the possibility of spreading infection however remote in the laymans eyes or not. Difficult to prove one way or another. But staying home will 100% be safer than going out anywhere including pigeon shooting.

But if your convinced you ticked all the boxes carry on.

I’m a fencer. I’ve been out working. Is fencing an important work to be doing? Not on the face of it, but then there are dairy herds that needed letting out now the ground is good, and farmers needed those fields fenced and gated. 

Technically the cows could have stayed in the barns, against animal welfare, and at huge feed cost. So we were out working to help enable the agricultural sector to keep going. Much in the same way that crop protection helps... 

not the odd squirrel here or there, but those fields being hit hard by rabbits and pigeons are just as important as the dairy cows, or beef cows, or lambs....

just to be clear I only worked last week, the two weeks before me and the boss were both in lockdown/isolation. After two weeks neither us or our families or people we associated with showed symptoms, and it was just us two in a field.

my honest held belief is that if you are genuinely protecting crops rather than just enjoying an afternoon out with the gun then you shouldnt worry and continue.

Their most faithful disciples were the two cart-horses, Boxer and Clover. These two had great difficulty in thinking anything out for themselves, but having once accepted the pigs as their teachers, they absorbed everything that they were told, and passed it on to the other animals by simple arguments.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Boxer, who had now had time to think things over, voiced the general feeling by saying: "If Comrade Napoleon says it, it must be right." And from then on he adopted the maxim, "Napoleon is always right"

9 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Why ask? You already know the answer.

Stay at home

• Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

But an answer is not what you want anyway Right?

Answer that then.

I knew you couldn’t explain. I’ll make it simple for you.

You’ve thrown a hissy fit because there are some who can think for themselves, and won’t abide by advice which not even DEFRA nor the rozzers can agree on, hence the uncertainty.
You’ve tried everything from emotional blackmail to shouting ( as in the post above ) in an attempt to make those who are still going out feel guilty. It won’t work. 
If you want to stay at home then do so; it’s not compulsory to go out, but equally, it’s not compulsory to stay in either. Yet. Just calm yourself down and stop trying to tell others what to do....or join the police force, then you can fill your boots! 🙂

Some seem to have lost the capability to think rationally. 

Now the dust is beginning to settle, how did the ones do who are determined to go out and save the farmers crop from destruction, because after all this was what this thread was all about , as we are well aware you must only go if you had a request from the farmer who was concerned about losing all or a part of his crop .

Up to now there were only a small section of members who were willing to answer the farmers request in his hour of need .

So how did they do after getting the go ahead , I am sure there are a few more members but the three spring to mind are , clangerman , Nature Boy and Motty .

clangerman reported yesterday after getting to his Pea field that the farmer was worried about , he found next to nothing on it , hung about for around three hours and then came back home without firing a shot .

Farm Boy 91 was waiting for a build up of Pigeons and Rooks on a drilled Sugar beet field , as he have already seen there will be very little activity from Pigeons and until the beet come above ground he wont find the Rooks during to much harm , in fact some farmers are happy to leave the Rooks alone as they eat the Leather Jackets , so not that urgent .

Motty had reported getting a healthy bag of Pigeons off his drilled field and normally he like to tell members when he and his friends had shot a big bag, but as we haven't had a report since the end of last summer we can all but guess , unless I have missed it which if I had I apologise , so have they done something that the farmer could not had done with bird scares and the odd gas gun . ? 

Edited by marsh man

40 minutes ago, clangerman said:

discussing the gas guns with a farmer as the pigeons started to return i grabbed the auto shot the next one told the farmer he’s not coming back or eating again end of that discussion gas guns kill no pigeons 

Very true they don’t kill pigeons but deployed correctly they will keep pigeons off a field.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I knew you couldn’t explain. I’ll make it simple for you.

You’ve thrown a hissy fit because there are some who can think for themselves, and won’t abide by advice which not even DEFRA nor the rozzers can agree on, hence the uncertainty.
You’ve tried everything from emotional blackmail to shouting ( as in the post above ) in an attempt to make those who are still going out feel guilty. It won’t work. 
If you want to stay at home then do so; it’s not compulsory to go out, but equally, it’s not compulsory to stay in either. Yet. Just calm yourself down and stop trying to tell others what to do....or join the police force, then you can fill your boots! 🙂

Some seem to have lost the capability to think rationally. 

:good:

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Very true they don’t kill pigeons but deployed correctly they will keep pigeons off a field.

when I took a new perm on all the gas guns done was make the job harder since i been there the gas guns have not left the shed on the plus side being ineffective got me the perm plus his dads farm so some benefit come out of them 

hello, i do not no what all the aggregation is all about, if you have permission from a local farmer and local police force and will shoot on your own, thats not to say driving 50 miles would be ideal, but if local go and help.

12 minutes ago, clangerman said:

when I took a new perm on all the gas guns done was make the job harder since i been there the gas guns have not left the shed on the plus side being ineffective got me the perm plus his dads farm so some benefit come out of them 

hello, would need 10 gas guns in a 100 acre field,