PPE

Mice!

We keep reading how there isn't enough ppe in hospitals or it's the wrong type, now the WHO is suggesting people wear masks? That won't help supply. 

How many companies are currently closed with stacks of ppe that could be given to the nearest hospitals?

Are hospitals really short of ppe? I've read comments saying yes and no to this?

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

We keep reading how there isn't enough ppe in hospitals or it's the wrong type, now the WHO is suggesting people wear masks? That won't help supply. 

How many companies are currently closed with stacks of ppe that could be given to the nearest hospitals?

Are hospitals really short of ppe? I've read comments saying yes and no to this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the news today is that they're setting up a panel to discuss the issue, not that a decision ahs been made? Current advice is that they don't do much good, but if anyone should be wearing them, it's the sick so they don't spread their germs when coughing and sneezing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52126735

I think the problem is the right kind of masks. The NHS one need to be significantly better than your bog standard particle filtering masks. They'd also probably want brand new stuff that's not been sitting in a wearhouse potentially degrading, or been used by other people and not sterilised. I'm not sure whether, if that is the reason, that it's insurmountable - in the war they reused bandages by boiling and sterilising, so it can't be beyond the wit of man to do at least as decent a job 80 years later!

19 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

They'd also probably want brand new

I'm talking stuff sat in boxes, not used.

20 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

if anyone should be wearing them, it's the sick so they don't spread their germs when coughing and sneezing

That would make a lot of sense.

If you read the Independant or the Guardian then everything is falling apart at the seams, they rarely say good things about anybody other than Corbyn.

They are the FAKE NEWS companies.

I don't see any of these people suggesting that they took over and put it all right.   It is very easy to be an arm chair orifice.  At the moment the world is in turmoil and it is not an easy peesy job to instantly put it right.  Still in the last 50yrs there has been this urge in the population for instant gratification and very little patience.

There is a lot of ppe flying around from what I hear from the other half is its a matter of getting the right stuff to the right people and then making sure it works.

they have had to acquire lots of small sized masks as a lot of the staff are quite small so we're all failing fit tests, although now I have just  been told they are getting reuse able masks which are a lot better. 

Another big issue is with people doing high stress jobs not being used to wearing masks and getting fatigue a lot quicker as anyone who has worn masks doing a hard job for any period of time knows it really takes it out of you. I would not want to wear one for 5 hours solid or longer. 

3 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Another big issue is with people doing high stress jobs not being used to wearing masks and getting fatigue a lot quicker as anyone who has worn masks doing a hard job for any period of time knows it really takes it out of you. I would not want to wear one for 5 hours solid or longer. 

I don't like wearing a mask for a short period, I cant imagine how surgeons are coping. 

Nice to hear that stuff is getting through. 

I heard on the TV this morning that the UK had ordered millions of antibody blood tests, and they want more!......in the next breath the reporter said they are evaluating the effectiveness of all the ones available, as most when tested have proven inaccurate to various degrees!???

I tried getting some ffp3 masks for work at the beginning of the year and couldn't get any then.

The thing that really p****s me off about the PPE thing is the amount of people who should know better that don't use it properly! if they can't be bothered to use it properly give it to someone who will! 🤬

Rant over

On 03/04/2020 at 12:04, Mice! said:

I don't like wearing a mask for a short period, I cant imagine how surgeons are coping. 

Nice to hear that stuff is getting through. 

I used to wear a mask at work a lot. Everything from a very basic dust mask to an airstream helmet. If you wear them all the time you get used to them.

59 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I used to wear a mask at work a lot. Everything from a very basic dust mask to an airstream helmet. If you wear them all the time you get used to them.

I imagine so, I got told a few years ago that my hearing is pants, worse on one side than the other so I always wear ear plugs now in work. 

It hasn't gone any worse but others say they don't like wearing them.

Not sure about down south and i presume its more common, but seeing people going to work with face masks on while driving there car is just stupid, some are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard much like the fools driving. 

They must be ffp3 or higher to be effective, anything lower wont cut the mustard, it will make those wearing them think there invincible though. 

9 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I’m no professional, but how can the blood oxygen level jump hundreds of percents..? Surely 100% oxygen in your veins would mean all oxygen, no blood. And 0% would mean you’re dead. 

Is it just a typo and they meant hundredths?

1 minute ago, southeastpete said:

I’m no professional, but how can the blood oxygen level jump hundreds of percents..? Surely 100% oxygen in your veins would mean all oxygen, no blood. And 0% would mean you’re dead. 

I dont know but i thought a typo myself. Laying on the stomach is what cought my eye.

On 02/04/2020 at 13:34, chrisjpainter said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the news today is that they're setting up a panel to discuss the issue, not that a decision ahs been made? Current advice is that they don't do much good, but if anyone should be wearing them, it's the sick so they don't spread their germs when coughing and sneezing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52126735

I think the problem is the right kind of masks. The NHS one need to be significantly better than your bog standard particle filtering masks. They'd also probably want brand new stuff that's not been sitting in a wearhouse potentially degrading, or been used by other people and not sterilised. I'm not sure whether, if that is the reason, that it's insurmountable - in the war they reused bandages by boiling and sterilising, so it can't be beyond the wit of man to do at least as decent a job 80 years later!

The guidance from WHO for health staff is that PP3 (using a filter) masks should be worn when doing procedures with a high chance of aerosol bourne virus (up close and personal). NHS guidance does not set the same specification as pp3 masks are in short supply. 

There are quite a few articles (and comments) on PPE and its availability to NHS staff in the trade journal. https://www.hsj.co.uk/

Fir what it's  worth, in my experience if you want to know about any topic, bypass the mainstream news and go directly to sites catering to the people at the sharp end. Often the writing can be a bit technical to understand but you get a far better idea of what's really happening.

9 hours ago, southeastpete said:

If something goes up by 100%, it doubles does it not?

10 hours ago, southeastpete said:

Oxygen %ages with blood mainly refer to 'saturation level' … 

I am a professional, but Wikipedia has a good explanation of oxygen saturation in the medical sense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_saturation_(medicine)

As for PPE, the advice keeps changing, but different levels of protection are required for healthcare staff based on what they are doing. I can confirm that wearing this equipment is hot and claustrophobic and if you wear glasses, they are likely to steam up!

For the public, it is my understanding that wearing a mask may prevent you from spreading the virus to others rather than protecting yourself. Regardless, there's more to it than sticking a mask on and hoping for the best, there are specific donning/doffing procedures. Safest thing is to stay at home if you can.

Below is the latest PHE update on masks .. issued yesterday.

Use of face masks in the community

There is very little evidence of widespread benefit from the use of face masks outside of the clinical or care settings, where they play a very important role.

To be effective, face masks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly, disposed of safely and used in combination with good universal hygiene behaviour.

Research shows that compliance with these recommended behaviours reduces over time when wearing face masks for prolonged periods, such as in the community.

Therefore, PHE does not advise masks in public places and for those working in supermarkets, waste collection, schools and similar settings.

PHE recommends that employers should ensure that:

• spaces in the workplace are optimised to allow social distancing to occur, wherever possible
  • signs are visible in the workplace reminding employees not to attend work if they have a fever or cough and to avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
  • employees are provided with hand sanitiser for frequent use and regular breaks to allow them to wash their hands for 20 seconds

The UK does not currently advise use of face masks outside of care settings, in line with PPE guidance.

PHE will continually review guidance in line with emerging evidence and WHO views, and update our guidance if new evidence suggests that we should do so.

I am going out today for the first time in 3 weeks. Got to collect my prescription and getting desperate for fresh veg, eggs, butter and cheese.

I will be wearing gloves, goggles and mask. I am used to wearing them from working in sterile conditions in a laboratory and know how to dispose of them and avoid cross contamination.

Luckily last year I was brush cutting bracken, so got masks and goggles for that. I always keep a box of gloves in house as I am awful when painting at getting paint all over my hands.

OH has a filtered down flow visored helmet he uses for working with exotic woods in the workshop. As he has a beard normal facemasks can't get a seal.

OH qualified in medical microbiology and worked in a lab before he went into electronics, so he is used to PPE too.

We have an F10 disinfectant dunk tank by the front door to dunk things in before coming into the house and fortunately because OH has electronics as a hobby too we have isopropyl alcohol to clean stuff that can't be dunked. The doorbell gets sprayed after somebody has rang it too.

We count our blessings every day for the kit and knowledge we have and the fact that we are both retired and no mortgage.

31 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

am going out today for the first time in 3 weeks. Got to collect my prescription

If you haven't gone yet expect the chemist to be very busy, friend of ours works in one, only one person allowed in at once and its non stop with people queuing up the road, can you not have your prescription delivered?