Non isolating persons

washerboy

17 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Do you think legally a company has the power to send home an  employee who on social media is not social isolating. 

Its not me 👍.. 

Depends - Bringing the company into disrepute? Gross misconduct? In which case, out the door without a bean..

23 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Do you think legally a company has the power to send home an  employee who on social media is not social isolating. 

Its not me 👍.. 

If you mean sacked? I reckon it'd be one of those cases that would be challenged and through gritted teeth a tribunal would find in the employee's favour - and hate themselves for having to do so! But a company could send them home with a formal warning, or some such, as PPP suggests. Then if they did it again they've got a record of the person consistently failing to meet the company's code of conduct, despite warnings

7 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

If you mean sacked? I reckon it'd be one of those cases that would be challenged and through gritted teeth a tribunal would find in the employee's favour - and hate themselves for having to do so! But a company could send them home with a formal warning, or some such, as PPP suggests. Then if they did it again they've got a record of the person consistently failing to meet the company's code of conduct, despite warnings

If they are meant to be self isolating and are 1. Stupid enough not to do so and 2. Even more stupid to post on Faceache that they are out and about. I very much doubt a tribunal would be required!

37 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If they are meant to be self isolating and are 1. Stupid enough not to do so and 2. Even more stupid to post on Faceache that they are out and about. I very much doubt a tribunal would be required!

I agree, in a sane world run by common sense and absent of law-dodging weasels. However:

'The camera angle's playing tricks on you. I was definitely more than two metres. You've failed to show proof that we organised a meeting. We've both regularly exercised in that park, so a chance meeting is inevitable eventually! That's not a rug in my hand for a picnic, it's a sarong...No, I don't have picnic stuff in my bag, just a packet of giant-sized crisps for me to eat as I exercise and some water - we have to hydrate, you know!'

41 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I agree, in a sane world run by common sense and absent of law-dodging weasels. However:

'The camera angle's playing tricks on you. I was definitely more than two metres. You've failed to show proof that we organised a meeting. We've both regularly exercised in that park, so a chance meeting is inevitable eventually! That's not a rug in my hand for a picnic, it's a sarong...No, I don't have picnic stuff in my bag, just a packet of giant-sized crisps for me to eat as I exercise and some water - we have to hydrate, you know!'

Just the location may well be enough to hang the fool.

3 hours ago, washerboy said:

Its not me 👍.. 

What do you mean by ‘self isolating’ and ‘sent home‘?

if they said they had symptoms and have been sent home from work ( and therefore getting company sick pay or SSP) then yes action should be taken as they are defrauding the company. 

If you just mean that they stupidly posted pictures of themselves not following social distancing then not sure you can take any action. I assume they are not advertising the company so no claim of bringing the company into disrepute. They, I assume, haven’t been convicted of anything so no breach of contract (assuming contract covers that). 

What outcome do you want? If you want them to be sacked because you don’t like what they have done then be very careful what you wish for.

Just to throw another one into the mix; a small shop in Glenridding ( Lake District ) has claimed on FB that it stays open for locals, but today has been inundated by cyclists wanting ice creams, and the shop staff have been subjected to abuse from those cyclists when they have refused to sell them an ice cream. 

7 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

Small village I live in has had a boom of walkers/dog walkers that don't pick the poop up and cyclists.

So if you wear lycra /wear hiking boots or have no dog poo bags come to Aycliffe in Co.Durham.

😀 They have poop bags around here. I know this cos I can see them hanging in the hedges! 👍

9 hours ago, Scully said:

😀 They have poop bags around here. I know this cos I can see them hanging in the hedges! 👍

I have seen that happening here on a woodland walk, people putting the bags down rabbit holes and just leaving them on the side of the path. it just astounds me how vile some folk are.

sorry for digressing.    

19 hours ago, Mice! said:

Do you mean their flouting the rules and it's on Social media?

Then I would say yes, my place told people if they were off for self isolating and were spotted in the gym or shops then they could face discipline procedures.

Self-isolating with symptoms or with a health condition trying to avoid it? 

They can’t really tell you what to do when not in work ... they used to complain that when off sick people shouldn’t be leaving their homes but the law simply doesn’t support that. People need to live life, shop, get supplies, etc. 

However if someone has said they can’t come in because their self-isolating and then flaunted that’s they’re out mingling with others on social media they could be in trouble ... although it’s going to be a new president with any legal challenges that come later. 

Havr they risked their job? Very silly considering the amount of people who will end up out of work. 

I think the OP is not taking about someone who should be self-isolated.

But more about someone who is still going to work, but isn't social distancing, and is posting that they are not social distancing on Facebook.

Not sure where employment law would stand on this. My guess is the employer wouldn’t have a case.

Edited by Newbie to this

If they're not social distancing then they're putting everyone else at work at risk. I'd send them home on H&S grounds. A lot would depend on your contract, mine has specific sections relating to the use of social media and its impact on the company, but I'd think that anything that would constitute a risk to other employees and the business as a whole would be close to gross misconduct.

Have your company communicated with the staff sufficiently to explain what is expected of them during this time?

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Self-isolating with symptoms or with a health condition trying to avoid it? 

I'm talking about self isolating because you have been in contact with someone who may have the virus, then treating it like holidays and not following the self isolating guidelines!

I see a Man city footballer is in trouble for having a house party?? Why would you.