Just the thing for a rainy Saturday afternoon.

JDog

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Where about on the scale of sadness would my Pearle Carr and Teddy Johnson be , and maybe to top that , my very first live show was the one and only Vic Oliver .

Now that is showing my age 

well at least no-one has admitted to seeing Laurel & Hardy...live... sing "the blue ridged mountains of virginia, on the trail of the lonesome pine"

19 hours ago, marsh man said:

I still think the 60s was the decade of the century when it come to the bands and the music they created .

Agreed. But perhaps we're showing our age!!

JDog's post set the memories going. In a modest way I was part of the then music scene. Playing in two local bands from 1963- Dec1968. Our management often managed to book us as support band to groups appearing in either the Bristol Corn Exchange or Bath Pavilion. Bands such as Cream (Bath Pavilion), Steam Packet (which comprised Brian Auger and the Trinity plus Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry and Julie Driscoll) Georgie Fame and the blue flames, John Mayall, Yardbirds. Wayne Fontana, Hermans Hermits, Dave Dee, Dozey, Beaky, Mick and Tich. Even Lulu and the Luvers (Coleford Royal British Legion). Not all to every ones choice! Best memory? Cream, Bath Pavilion when they started to wheel in the speaker cabinets we thought it would never end! To my mind their best number that night was NSU. Deafening. 

Perhaps it's rose coloured glasses syndrome, but I think we got more for our money from the bands in those days. Once on stage it was often difficult to get them off. And no false encores.

Edited by Bobba

On 03/10/2020 at 15:03, ditchman said:

from the man who went to see Al Joulson ...live

CLOSE!!!:yahoo:

Any others remember listening/watching  Josef Locke of  "Bye a babbling brook"  fame. 9 inch black and white screen back then.

My wife just corrected me it was Donald Peers who did Babbling Brook

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

Agreed. But perhaps we're showing our age!!

JDog's post set the memories going. In a modest way I was part of the then music scene. Playing in two local bands from 1963- Dec1968. Our management often managed to book us as support band to groups appearing in either the Bristol Corn Exchange or Bath Pavilion. Bands such as Cream (Bath Pavilion), Steam Packet (which comprised Brian Auger and the Trinity plus Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry and Julie Driscoll) Georgie Fame and the blue flames, John Mayall, Yardbirds. Wayne Fontana, Hermans Hermits, Dave Dee, Dozey, Beaky, Mick and Tich. Even Lulu and the Luvers (Coleford Royal British Legion). Not all to every ones choice! Best memory? Cream, Bath Pavilion when they started to wheel in the speaker cabinets we thought it would never end! To my mind their best number that night was NSU. Deafening. 

Perhaps it's rose coloured glasses syndrome, but I think we got more for our money from the bands in those days. Once on stage it was often difficult to get them off. And no false encores.

Wow , certainly a rave from the grave Bobba , in the early 60s a lot of the well known groups now were only starting out and were playing at a lot of small venues , in those early Summer's we had a lot of them come to Yarmouth to perform one night stands in front of the holiday makers , we had the Beatles perform at the Regal and one of the girls stood outside waiting to go in when the four Beatles came past , she had the bright idea to get there autographs and all she had was a packet of fags , she tore the packet up and the four of them signed it , a few months back she put it in a auction and it made I believe just over £2000 , at the time they signed it you could have bought the place they played in for that sort of money .:lol: Happy days.

52 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Any others remember listening/watching  Joseph Lock of  "Bye a babbling brook"  fame. 9 inch black and white screen back then.

I was made to watch Billy Cottons band show.......with Aurther bloody Askey...every week...:w00t:

think yourself lucky........

now -a-days we would have councilling for that sort of thing

WAKEYYYYYY--------WAAAAAKKKE......EEEE.............

SORRY J DOG IF WE HAVE HIJACKED YOUR THREAD

Edited by ditchman

On 03/10/2020 at 13:52, The Heron said:

Could not agree more the opening on gimme shelter has got to be one of the coolest ever. 

I agree. So did Martin Scorsese who used it in his films several times.

I love the story about the Lady singer on the recording. Her name was Merry Clayton and she was a Baptist singer. She was in bed pregnant when she received a call late at night from someone asking if she could do a backing track for a group from England who were in LA recording. She said she could and when was it? 'Now' was the reply. She jumped out of bed and put a head scarf over her rollers and a Mink coat over her pyjamas and she was immediately picked up outside her house. She was introduced to the Rolling Stones and given her simple lines. When she sang she impressed them. When it came to the recording she decided to up the ante by one octave and blew them away.

Those on PW who haven't heard it should give it a listen.

On 03/10/2020 at 12:53, JDog said:

My teen years coincided with some of the very best that music had to offer and since that time the quality has never been equalled. I was lucky to have seen some of the best bands in their prime in the seventies and early eighties

This sounds badly wrong.  This is borne out by the list given. Of the six, three are from the sixties, two are from 1971 & 1972 and one only is from 1979.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I love the story about the Lady singer on the recording. Her name was Merry Clayton and she was a Baptist singer. She was in bed pregnant when she received a call late at night from someone asking if she could do a backing track for a group from England who were in LA recording. She said she could and when was it? 'Now' was the reply. She jumped out of bed and put a head scarf over her rollers and a Mink coat over her pyjamas and she was immediately picked up outside her house. She was introduced to the Rolling Stones and given her simple lines. When she sang she impressed them. When it came to the recording she decided to up the ante by one octave and blew them away.

👍 

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Any others remember listening/watching  Josef Locke of  "Bye a babbling brook"  fame. 9 inch black and white screen back then.

My wife just corrected me it was Donald Peers who did Babbling Brook

Nev, stop digging this hole for yourself!:lol:

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

I was made to watch Billy Cottons band show.......with Aurther bloody Askey...every week...

i remember him.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

She also released her own cover version of the song too not long after. I first heard her version on the radio about a month ago and it’s been on my playlist ever since 👍

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

My tastes change lots . 
Ive met a lovely polish lady and I had to start listening to smooth . It’s actually stuck on me now ??? 

Before it was all 2000’s clubbing music. 
can’t beat a bit of oasis, blur etc still tho .

i am 38 tho 

Tart 😂

Edited by strimmer_13

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

I was made to watch Billy Cottons band show.......with Aurther bloody Askey...every week...:w00t:

As a kid I was made to go and watch Lony Donagan of my old man's a dustman fame on holiday in Blackpool.