Lab meat on sale

islandgun

40 minutes ago, yates said:

I thought this been going on for years. Rightly or wrongly I was informed that McDonalds had previously served food that had been grown chemically

McDonald's as far as I know have very strict and high standards. They are such an enormous company they have a lot to uphold. 

They buy such a massive amount of meat as well they pretty much dictate what the producers grow, and everyone else has the left overs. 

14 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Cell cultures of body cells have been grown for years in laboratories to use for testing to replace some animal studies.

This was the logical next step, but how they are going to reproduce a 21 day matured Aberdeen Angus steak is another matter.

Indeed..😉 It is essential that we have grazing animals to keep our countryside in the condition it is in now and think there will always be market for quality meat,  as i said earlier I would be happy if fast food was grown in a lab though, Kentucky fried plankton !

4 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Indeed..😉 It is essential that we have grazing animals to keep our countryside in the condition it is in now and think there will always be market for quality meat,  as i said earlier I would be happy if fast food was grown in a lab though, Kentucky fried plankton !

Presumably because you don't eat it?

I think it's a great thing. Not so much for us in the UK, but globally we're pushing the limits of meat consumption and production. For countries that can't feed their cattle on grass this could be a great alternative to shipping in thousands of tons of feed. We'd have to compare the environmental impact locally before it truly becomes viable, but if it takes less to produce, is safer and can be made locally then I'm all for it. If it just becomes another big industry with it being flown all over the world at an elevated cost for the sake of being "environmentally friendly", then it's a no.

57 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

I think it's a great thing. Not so much for us in the UK, but globally we're pushing the limits of meat consumption and production.

I can't say I think it is a great thing exactly, but you have hit the nail with one thing - "but globally we're pushing the limits of ......."  - and in the dots you can add carbon emissions, fresh water, food production, forests to sustain CO2 capture/oxygen production etc.  Basically the world is getting too many people to be able to reliably support them.

So - IF the lab grown meat can be used as a standby for emergencies for famines etc (to which it seems to me - unsuited) - OK - but IF it is just another way to 'hide' the fact that we are getting more people than the planet can support and sustain - it has to be a massive NO.

Would I personally try it?  Yes, if pressed.  Would I try and move to it permanently, probably not unless there was a taste/convenience advantage.

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

I think it's a great thing. Not so much for us in the UK, but globally we're pushing the limits of meat consumption and production. For countries that can't feed their cattle on grass this could be a great alternative to shipping in thousands of tons of feed. We'd have to compare the environmental impact locally before it truly becomes viable, but if it takes less to produce, is safer and can be made locally then I'm all for it. If it just becomes another big industry with it being flown all over the world at an elevated cost for the sake of being "environmentally friendly", then it's a no.

👍.

Iv'e been involved in agriculture all my life.. for me, meat should be a premium product with a price tag that reflects its quality of life and health giving  benefits. The majority of us seem to have lost touch with the origins of our food and prefer to eat disposable meat covered in sauce that has no value,  this "lab" meat might easily serve the same purpose with much less inputs 

Makes you wonder if there is any link with producing meat in the lab and the announcement today of a ban in 2021 on sending UK animals to-be slaughtered in Europe.

Makes me also wonder where all these animals will now be slaughtered in the UK, do we still have the capacity for such numbers?

I'd try it. I've tried a lot of veggie meals as a comparison and some are nice, some not so. Wasn't that long ago the were talking about insects and krill as a viable alternative to food shortages. Obviously a bacon sarnie dripping with a runny egg will win all day, everyday, I'd have a go at a fake steak, providing they grow it without the fat