Do we still live in democracy?

grahamch

I really wonder if we all still live in a free thinking and acting democracy.

I see that our Scottish colleagues have been 'ordered' to stay at home etc. by Nicola Sturgeon and her krankie brand of totalitarian politics. 

Surely in a democracy no one can be ordered about? We live in dark times for freedom and individuality

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least Nicola sturgeon makes a decision and sticks to it, popular or not. 
Boris on the other hand changes his mind on just about every decision he makes. It’s honestly quite pathetic, his constant hand wringing and desperate attempts to remain “popular” are not the actions of a true leader. 

30 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Your idea of democracy would surely  mean we are all free to steal, kill or speed without being ‘ordered’ not to?

You are either willfully misconstruing the OP's point for rhetorical purposes, or you don't understand how parliamentary democracy works.

My idea of a democracy, for what it's worth, is that such draconian measures be subject to parliamentary scrutiny and votes, prior to their enactment, not after.

As another poster mentioned it’s amazing how many people have willingly given up their freedoms. In fact many are begging for it and want the troops on the streets shooting dissenters. If the Nazis had invaded in 1940 they would probably have been welcomed with open arms by many. 

Im all for keeping every one safe but it is really feeling  like a police state not a free country best idea I have heard and please feel free to shoot me down close the big supermarkets where there is no social distance and open up all of the small shops again that will out of there own self discipline and survival make sure they abide with corvid rules and at least they will have an income and stop filling the pockets of these big corporations like Tesco sainsbury's etc

Edited by lampro

11 minutes ago, lampro said:

Im all for keeping every one safe but it is really feeling  like a police state not a free country best idea I have heard and please feel free to shoot me down close the big supermarkets where there is no social distance and open up all of the small shops again that will out of there own self discipline and survival make sure they abide with corvid rules and at least they will have an income and stop filling the pockets of these big corporations like Tesco sainsbury's etc

The little shops aren’t shut. 

Define democracy?

In a democracy we inplicitly all agree to abide by the rules imposed by our elected government.

A democracy is not about everybody being able to make up their own rules as they go along

Thats anarchy

When Parliament passed the Coronavirus Act 2020 it gave the Government emergency powers. So its all perfectly legal and democratic

Edited by Vince Green

Just now, lampro said:

But they will do  better fives them.a chance to get some.money behind them.

The little shops are still trading alongside the big supermarkets; they aren’t any worse off than they were prior to the virus. Some are actually doing better. 

You can’t shut the supermarkets because people still need to eat. 

its democratic but doesn't mean its right. People seem far to willing to give up their freedoms without actually questioning why they are loosing them. The governments favorite defense for their actions is they are following "the science" however its never really properly presented "the science" or explained how its being used. Tier system being a case in point we still haven't seen set parameters that allows areas can move from one tier to the other.

4 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I like a sense of humour. Agreeing to a once in a lifetime referendum and then changing her mind. She is a one trick pony, incapable of running a country properly.

Yeah, but back to events from the past 12 months. She has shown more resolve and leadership than Boris could dream of. 

I got this through on WhatsApp before.  I though it was quite funny 😆 

B980781F-F79C-42B4-B1E8-2BFBB33F6F5D.png

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

The Scottish people voted SNP in so the Scottish people abide by SNP rules same as you got to abide by Boris rules

Some of the Scottish people voted SNP. A lot of us didn't; were glad to see the back of the EU and will be glad to see the back of Wee Jimmy.

1 hour ago, AVB said:

As another poster mentioned it’s amazing how many people have willingly given up their freedoms. In fact many are begging for it and want the troops on the streets shooting dissenters. If the Nazis had invaded in 1940 they would probably have been welcomed with open arms by many. 

With the 'Flakes' we have floating about today and the crazy form filling necessary for retired doctors and trainee nurses I think the Nazi's would have had a free ride.

back in 39/40 you got your call up papers and either went or became a conciencious objector. Just think how many of them we would have today.

Yeah, but back to events from the past 12 months. She has shown more resolve and leadership than Boris could dream of. 

You are still having a laugh or have a very short memory. She has shown she is unfit to lead. She does her own thing. 

Alex Salmond doesn't seem to rate her. Under investigation for the meeting at her house, letting her mask fall off. There are more.

Yes - she's brilliant.