Disgraceful MPs -Raw Sewage Amendment

treetree

MPs had the opportunity to vote on an ammendment this week that would place a duty on water companiesto reduce raw sewage discharges into our rivers and seas.

Astonishingly, this was voted down by our elected representatives.

Please have a look at the link below to see how your MP voted on the issue, and if you have the time and inclination, email them to let them know what you think.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2021-10-20-91-commons

Utterly appalling. Despite having some of the most important chalk streams in the country (and thus, I guess given their rarity, the world) only one of Dorset's MPs voted for the motion. Fair play to MP Simon Hoare of North Dorset for not toeing the party line of the other seven, three voted against it and four were MII (missing in inaction). 

It was a vote on amendments from that left wing cesspit the House of Lords.

Like many people I voted for Boris to take us out of the EUSSR and to reduce the amount of red tape that burdens British business.  If you don't like it being in there don't drink it.  No one's forcing you to.  

1 hour ago, Wharf Rat said:

It was a vote on amendments from that left wing cesspit the House of Lords.

Like many people I voted for Boris to take us out of the EUSSR and to reduce the amount of red tape that burdens British business.  If you don't like it being in there don't drink it.  No one's forcing you to.  

Nothing to do with Brexit, it's about making our rivers cleaner. 

Raw sewage being dumped into the sea around me is disgusting this is the kind of thing the ecologists like Packham should be in , the boss of the water co give it the big chat but a few weeks later it happens again the brown frothy photo is one I took around the foreshore one more of 💩, how can this be good for ,plant , bird or fish life ?

2B223321-F3BB-41BA-980D-1659BB989F9F.jpeg

A83BE090-F021-4834-8958-8AF2783ED989.jpeg

350610B1-99EF-4928-8D98-07D808404F76.jpeg

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

Raw sewage being dumped into the sea around me is disgusting this is the kind of thing the ecologists like Packham should be in , the boss of the water co give it the big chat but a few weeks later it happens again the brown frothy photo is one I took around the foreshore one more of 💩, how can this be good for ,plant , bird or fish life ?

2B223321-F3BB-41BA-980D-1659BB989F9F.jpeg

A83BE090-F021-4834-8958-8AF2783ED989.jpeg

350610B1-99EF-4928-8D98-07D808404F76.jpeg

Hello, I use to like beach fishing off of Hayling 🤔

7 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

It was a vote on amendments from that left wing cesspit the House of Lords

What does your political leaning have to do with an issue like pumping raw sewage into rivers and seas?

7 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

I also voted to leave  and your message that "we should be free to pollute our seas and rivers without the EU meddling" is mind boggling

Five out of the six Cornish Conservative MP's voted for dumping. We have some of the most beautiful coastline in the country soon to become infected by bacteria. Our rivers hold salmon and sea trout who will now have a hard time pushing upstream through the sludge.

Why MP's who live in the county vote for such an environmentally disaster - Greed, shareholders being paid high dividends and water companies laughing!   

Disgrace. Lost faith in politics and politicians years ago. so depressing MPs vote by the colour of their tie not their conscience. Will write, not that it will achieve owt. As a keen fisherman seen the damage first hand to our rivers. 

The majority share of our water companies are internationally owned by foreign pension funds, sovereign states or the super rich. 

Not really sure why we are putting their interest above our citizens, country, wildlife and health. But money and influence talks.

If you want to be depressed visit the River Wye, but all of our rivers in this country are in a bad state.

Whilst I prefer my water nice and clean I remember fishing the Tyne close to sewer outfalls and used to catch plenty of fish, there were lots of rag to dig and no one swam in the sea at North and South Shields. Forty years later and the Tyne is running clear, there is a lack of fish, not much in the bait beds and if you cast a line into the mouth of the Tyne you are more likely to hook a swimmer than a fish.

I also believe that diving duck numbers, mostly Goldie's, dropped dramatically when the sewage entering the forth estuary was cleaned up.

Just an observation.

This is proving to be a sticky problem for the government as lots of Tory voters are unhappy.

What seems to be a good idea (not pumping a shed load of poo into our water systems) should be a good position to start from and defend, and the only reason to go against this is based entirely on ‘it will cost billions to fix’.

It’s not gone down well with Joe Public at all. 

Indeed, if there was some follow up… ‘we can’t force an industry to do this right now because of the eye watering cost but we’re going to force them to make the accruals they should have done along the way or we’re going to….’

But instead we get nothing.

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

henry d - an interesting observation.

Very valid too, proving that every cloud has a silver lining? Just need to find it? 

40 minutes ago, London Best said:

What a GREAT idea!

That could be seen as a waste of resource?

As for the actual situation, nothing will happen as another sound byte of news obliterates it?

Edited by old man

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

profit before pollution this is perfect example why utilities should never be privatised 

Far too late as some know and the reason why the country is in permanent decline?

As we will never get control back the spiral can not be halted?  Hey ho, lots don't give a rats?