Fuel bills crisis

mel b3

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

It’s alright for Mel he’s warm in his cave just a few ££ extra 

us poor southern people have mansions and stately homes to heat 

I’m going to have to turn the heating and lights off in the servants quarters at this rate 🤭

It's OK for you toffs  .  You just get the butler to throw another peasant on the fire 🔥

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Listed building can’t have them apparently they loo unsightly on the castle turret 

here’s a few rare ones for you F776B0D0-3C13-4480-B1DE-056223F7D90E.jpeg.99fa76be4fc251f3b6257a372f3ca821.jpeg421539E5-D529-4A52-9A4D-B126276814E2.jpeg.65f5ab0b19bf9353336c854f3b1e3d43.jpegE0B66EB4-E281-409D-93CF-CD0A32A4D8CB.jpeg.706673253bf75f19754f8653ef5b0a63.jpeg

Very nice, there out in the woods now, or coming out, I'll put some pictures on 😉

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Like you, house had only a partial heating system and grew up wearing jumpers when not in sitting room.

I was surprised talking to a friend the other week, his house doesn't have heating upstairs,  he said there's a wood burner and aga downstairs but that's it, so the electric being off wasn't a big deal for them!

21 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Please excuse me if my post came across as condescending or uncaring . I honestly didn't realise that anyone still had an income of £100 per week . I can completely understand how £600 per year would be such a financial burden,  and offer a most sincere apology if my post was in any way offensive. 👍

Had an accident at work nearly a year ago another 9 months to go after i get an operation, no company sick pay just £98 per week ssp. That has to pay mortgage and bills.

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

Very nice, there out in the woods now, or coming out, I'll put some pictures on 😉

I was surprised talking to a friend the other week, his house doesn't have heating upstairs,  he said there's a wood burner and aga downstairs but that's it, so the electric being off wasn't a big deal for them!

Hello, much like the chap I met on a shoot a few years back, a national trust cottage , the rent took much of their pension

40 minutes ago, Luckyshot said:

Had an accident at work nearly a year ago another 9 months to go after i get an operation, no company sick pay just £98 per week ssp. That has to pay mortgage and bills.

Ah , that makes sense.  Doesn't your insurance cover your mortgage?.

I really didn't expect this thread to raise much interest,  and I've found it surprising that so many will be hit so hard by the fuel price increases . I must just trundle along in my own naive little cocoon. 

24 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Ah , that makes sense.  Doesn't your insurance cover your mortgage?.

I really didn't expect this thread to raise much interest,  and I've found it surprising that so many will be hit so hard by the fuel price increases . I must just trundle along in my own naive little cocoon. 

Insurance will only pay the interest not the mortgage itself, I can't really complain too much though  as I can manage just and there are people out there worse off than me.

52 minutes ago, Luckyshot said:

Insurance will only pay the interest not the mortgage itself, I can't really complain too much though  as I can manage just and there are people out there worse off than me.

👍. It's been a long time since I was in that position,  and I was always lucky enough to not use the injury/sickness insurance.  I sincerely hope that things work out positively for you mate .

We have been on a fixed rate of 21p kWh for elec and 2p for gas . If I go fixed again gas goes up to 8p kWh and elec goes up to around 50p kWh. If we then do the average of 2300£ a year it's roughly £6 a day to heat light, feed (cooking) us, wash cloths, have a shower, hot water out the taps, watch TV etc .. looking at it that way it's not expensive. If it gets tight we will drop things like sky or going for a meal out etc. I know there are people in a position where £2000 a year is alot. But you could argue a unit of gas at 2p is cheap and that I've had a good deal for quite a while now.

Edited by ShootingEgg

9 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

We have been on a fixed rate of 21p kWh for elec and 2p for gas

That's interesting - I am on 3.25p for gas and 18.3p for electricity - fixed until Spring 2023.    I use about 12 units of electricity a day all year round, so about £2.25 a day.  Gas varies dramatically between under 10 units a day in summer to well over 100 units a day - even approaching 200 some winter days, so maybe £5 a day average in winter.

36 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

We have been on a fixed rate of 21p kWh for elec and 2p for gas . If I go fixed again gas goes up to 8p kWh and elec goes up to around 50p kWh. If we then do the average of 2300£ a year it's roughly £6 a day to heat light, feed (cooking) us, wash cloths, have a shower, hot water out the taps, watch TV etc .. looking at it that way it's not expensive. If it gets tight we will drop things like sky or going for a meal out etc. I know there are people in a position where £2000 a year is alot. But you could argue a unit of gas at 2p is cheap and that I've had a good deal for quite a while now.

This is how I saw it . I didn't realise that it was so touch and go for some people .

I must confess that I haven’t got a clue how much I pay per unit ( I've never felt the need to check) , but i pay £130 per month at the moment , for gas and electricity combined , so I didn't see the price increase as too much of an issue.

My Mrs is on the ball and fixed before the whole thing went down the pan. 

She fixed with one of these “Green energy” companies we are being told to use. 

We fixed for £70pcm for the next 12 months. 

Today we found out they went bust in November, and British Gas have done us a favour by picking us up on their variable rate - now costing us £140+ pcm, at no fault of our own. 

We had no warning only told today, with them claiming they notified us previously (they 100% did not!). 

Thats £840 that we have lost next year. 
We certainly aren’t short, both of us have good jobs and work a lot, but it’s still a kick in the teeth! 

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

My Mrs is on the ball and fixed before the whole thing went down the pan. 

She fixed with one of these “Green energy” companies we are being told to use. 

We fixed for £70pcm for the next 12 months. 

Today we found out they went bust in November, and British Gas have done us a favour by picking us up on their variable rate - now costing us £140+ pcm, at no fault of our own. 

We had no warning only told today, with them claiming they notified us previously (they 100% did not!). 

Thats £840 that we have lost next year. 
We certainly aren’t short, both of us have good jobs and work a lot, but it’s still a kick in the teeth! 

That's the same as us Lloyd we was with Together Energy had an email last week British Gas taking up the mantle for them and the increase is about the same we are both retired not short of money but still a big increase 

10 hours ago, bluesj said:

What are peoples thoughts on the £200 imposed load that we are all getting?

I don't want it and I can't see that it is legal to force people to have a load they don't agree to!

From my personal point of view . I don't need it , or want it , and I would much rather that any assistance,  was given to those that really do need the assistance  , but ,  I would guess that trying to sort out who really did or didn't need assistance , would probably cost more than any assistance given.  The government also has to be seen to be fair to all .

12 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

This Government have policies that deliberately drive up the price of energy, they are disgusting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/05/self-inflicted-cost-living-crisis-will-bring-boris-johnson/

Hello, let's face it has there been any Government since WW2 that cares about those on average incomes , easy targets to pay more 🤔, even those genuine out of work in UK they try and cut benefits to the bone leaving just scraps, I  think the majority of young people have no real interest in politics when the see how Boris conducts himself , Blair's illegal war , on TV they were talking about when  energy prices will come back down 🤔 

On 04/02/2022 at 19:22, team tractor said:

After all the accusations against me unfortunately the social services don’t want to know even tho I proved my innocence. Waste of time unless your female unfortunately 

I am aware of that situation from another source, a bone idle woman making repeated malicious, untrue accusations. The chap was suspended, unable to earn a crust, she then went after him for the  loss of maintainance that she had caused. Despite 2 police investigations that found no evidence against him the Social Services still take her word as gospel and support her?

Going into the 3rd round soon most likely. The Barristers needed are doing well.

On 06/02/2022 at 07:43, mel b3 said:

From my personal point of view . I don't need it , or want it , and I would much rather that any assistance,  was given to those that really do need the assistance  , but ,  I would guess that trying to sort out who really did or didn't need assistance , would probably cost more than any assistance given.  The government also has to be seen to be fair to all .

My thoughts are it will be legally challenged.  The Government should not be able to force unwanted loans on people especially when the irony is their energy policies have directly driven up prices and inflation.  They then intend to force people who haven't had the loan to pay it back anyway, they are acting like some sort of back street loan shark.  Sunak and Johnson need to go.

Edited by Weihrauch17

On 05/02/2022 at 07:54, Luckyshot said:

Unable to work due to heart and kidney failure, I get £58/week, the other half gets more as a carer. Thank god we bought solar panels, they bring in around £1000/year which helps.