Time to licence comedians?

udderlyoffroad

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

It's a shame some folks will have been conditioned to never be able to laugh at the likes of Davidson, Manning, Jethro etc. 

Having a broad sense of humour is an absolute gift in helping you through the trials of life, and I'm glad I see the funny side of most things.

You missed Chubby Brown, my sides ached after seeing him at Sheffield City Hall some years ago. I reckon they have banned him now along with some other authorities.  He's coming to chesterfield in November 👍

19 hours ago, Gordon R said:

The joke is questionable, but what is worse - a joke at the expense of gypsies or the Labour Party's treatment of Jews? One is comedy, the other is a complete disgrace. Where are the "woke" brigade?

Completely agree, the lack of distinction between actions and jokes is insane. I would imagine most people in this country have beliefs based upon stereotype gypsies - perhaps the reason the joke was unacceptable was because it exposed to them their own racism?

Political WOKE correctness has now made it difficult to engage in many terms etc.  Black (meaning dark) humour often eased the effect of dragging a stinking rotten body out of the canal or having a beautiful 19year old girl die on shoulder when attending a car crash etc etc.  We had a social club on the upper floor of our police station where after a 2-10 shift you could go and have a half and ease the tensions.  Just after I left we had a born again Chief Constable move in and cloe the club. Some of the humour exchanged over that half and maybe a game of snooker prevented many going home still with the pictures in their minds of what had happened that day.

Humour of all sorts eases peoples pain without a doubt and as said if the WOKE idiots start and regulate what can be said the we are into 1984 tertitory.

I’m a big Carr fan. He does an annual gig in a Canadian Hospice I think.
He had watched other comics doing their stint and no one mentioned the elephant in the room, so he decided he would. 
His opening line was ‘well we’d better press on as we haven’t got a lot of time’. 
They loved it. He then asked for a show of hands if there was anyone in from last year. No one put up their hands. Offensive? They didn’t think so. 
He visited AA Gill on his death bed, along with Jeremy Clarkson. He asked Gill what he was watching on tv, and when Gill told him, Carr had said ‘that’s a bit ambitious don’t you think?’ to which Gill had asked ‘why?’ and Carr said ‘Well, it’s a six parter!’ They all fell about laughing. 
You can only be offended if you choose to be so. 

On 07/02/2022 at 19:23, udderlyoffroad said:

Hear me out....

The furore over Jimmy Carr's latest, by his own admission, career-ending joke, got me thinking.

What if we did have state-sanctioned, licenced comedians?  That way, they could write material based on an approved government list of topics, and the 'crowd who would like criminal sanctions for hurt feelings', could watch these comedians safe in the knowledge that if they step out of line, they will get 'cancelled' officially.  

Of course, the rest of us grown-ups could watch 'unlicenced' comedians, and if you did find something offensive, or even not funny, tough.  Build a bridge and get over it.

I think it has legs.

Some might even argue we have such a system already, and only the 'licenced' (that is to say, with the correct opinions) will get any broadcast media exposure, but I couldn't possibly comment.

I thought you where going to say on this Forum !

21 hours ago, Walker570 said:

We already have to lash out for FAC and SGC licenses plus pay Doctors to just provide what is already there. A further license is going to cost all of us lot a fortune

You appear to have misunderstood what I'm suggesting;  I'm talking about those who wish to only enjoy 'safe' comedy only watching those approved, 'licenced' comedians, an entirely voluntary, self-funding, scheme, run by, I dunno, the actors' union Equity.  Or even an independent regulator, OFGAG?

The audience will have no paperwork to complete.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Black (meaning dark) humour often eased the effect of dragging a stinking rotten body out of the canal or having a beautiful 19year old girl die on shoulder when attending a car crash etc etc.  We had a social club on the upper floor of our police station where after a 2-10 shift you could go and have a half and ease the tensions.  Just after I left we had a born again Chief Constable move in and cloe the club. Some of the humour exchanged over that half and maybe a game of snooker prevented many going home still with the pictures in their minds of what had happened that day.

How is that anecdote pertinent to what's being discussed here?  Black humour amongst colleagues, is vital to prevent those who run towards an emergency, becoming a later emergency themselves, of that there is no doubt.

But this thread is about the great unwashed out there, the British public, and how they should be free to enjoy whatever comedy the please.  Those who wish to live in a walled garden, can do so too, never the twain shall meet.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Humour of all sorts eases peoples pain without a doubt and as said if the WOKE idiots start and regulate what can be said the we are into 1984 tertitory.

That's the whole point - Do it, but make it voluntary, and see how popular it is.  Surely that's preferable to what we have now, this death-by-a-thousand-cuts nightmare.

I must have been woke before my time as I really never got Chubby Brown, Mannings, Garnet, Davidson or any other excessively crude or racist comedians. Always preferred Charlie Williams, Les Dawson etc. No doubt they could be equally crude, racist, sexist etc but not what they chose to be known for. Some of it really does belong in the past.

As for Jimmy Carr, I quite like him but that particular joke takes a bit of justifying. Having said that I accidentally smirked at a Maddie joke recently so I will be going to Hell.

On 07/02/2022 at 20:08, Scully said:

I often watch Carr and Gervais stand up routines on Netflix. They both know how to push boundaries and even break through them; it’s not for the squeamish but hilarious. 🙂

I really enjoyed Gervais, clever guy. When I discovered he was an anti +++. 

Couldn't see him in the same light again.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Never even heard of it.

I think it is the most watched tv series EVER on Netflix. Well worth taking the time.
I don’t agree with his take on trophy hunting etc, but he has a fabulous brain and is an extraordinary talent.
He rubs people up the wrong way because he won’t tolerate idiots and hypocrites, and basically tells it as it is,  and that annoys people. 

39 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think it is the most watched tv series EVER on Netflix. Well worth taking the time.
I don’t agree with his take on trophy hunting etc, but he has a fabulous brain and is an extraordinary talent.
He rubs people up the wrong way because he won’t tolerate idiots and hypocrites, and basically tells it as it is,  and that annoys people. 

I didn’t find him remotely funny even before I knew he was an anti. Now I wouldn’t give him the time of day. The man is a ****.

9 hours ago, London Best said:

I didn’t find him remotely funny even before I knew he was an anti. Now I wouldn’t give him the time of day. The man is a ****.

I didn’t either; couldn’t abide The Office, but despite him being a **** I think he’s an ok bloke. 
I think Brian May is a **** too, but that doesn’t prevent him from also being an extremely skilled guitarist. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I didn’t either; couldn’t abide The Office, but despite him being a **** I think he’s an ok bloke. 
I think Brian May is a GRADE A **** too, but that doesn’t prevent him from also being an extremely skilled guitarist. 🙂

Fixed it for you.

I will give antis no respect at all.

On 12/02/2022 at 11:12, Scully said:

His last roasting of the 'celebs' at the golden globes was hilarious. Right on point.

Idiot abroad was brilliant tho thankfully he wasnt in it a lot as he does squark a lot. 

Apart from that, cant say i watch anything in with him in, and 90% of that is off youtube. 

13 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

His last roasting of the 'celebs' at the golden globes was hilarious. Right on point.

Idiot abroad was brilliant tho thankfully he wasnt in it a lot as he does squark a lot. 

Apart from that, cant say i watch anything in with him in, and 90% of that is off youtube. 

Yes, I think ‘celeb’s’ dread him hosting award ceremonies. His act regarding the former Bruce Jenner was brilliant. 
I enjoyed ‘Extras’ some years ago, but if you have Netflix then ‘After Dead’ is highly recommended. 

23 hours ago, London Best said:

Fixed it for you.

It wasn’t broken, but thanks anyway. 🙂

I really enjoyed The Office at the time, it was brilliant and helped change television for the better. I’ve not watched any of his stuff since as I don’t really watch television. I have seen his roasts at the Golden Globes and the Mel Gibson segments were entertaining.

P.S. I really dislike Gervais’s views on it seems....everything.

Edited by WalkedUp