Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

1 hour ago, ordnance said:

I am taking in what you are saying, basically if a country can't guarantee a victory they should not fight and surrender

Obviously not, where did I say that? 

1 hour ago, ordnance said:

you seem to be saying they shouldn't have bothered and surrendered the UK to the Nazis to avoid civilian deaths and destruction

Or that? 

I said if they got across the channel and made a decent bridgehead, we would have lost eventually, the Germans had battle hardened troops, better equipment, and better strategy. 

They took France in 6 weeks, with less men than the combined UK /French armies, yes they put up a fight, but they saw they would lose a lot more men, and infrastructure. When they capitulated, the army, millions strong, was largely intact. 

Ukraine is putting up a damn good fight, they are obviously losing men an equipment, despite the propaganda put out that says they have more tanks now than when they started! 

The fact is, they had already lost Donbass and Crimea, now they are going to lose more territory, possibly half the country, and the rest wrecked for years. 

Yes, they can hold their heads up and say they stood up to Putin, but now they have  even more hostile neighbours, and rubble for a country. 

It didn't have to be like that. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It didn't have to be like that. 

How's that ?

I said if they got across the channel and made a decent bridgehead, we would have lost eventually, the Germans had battle hardened troops, better equipment, and better strategy. 

And if that happened should the UK have surrendered without a fight ?

Edited by ordnance

13 hours ago, ordnance said:

How's that ?

Maybe enter in to some sort of negotiation, instead of butting heads with putin , and telling everyone my big buddy NATO will protect us .
Asking for no fly zones , tanks and boots on the ground is direct escalation, is that the best course of action ?

13 hours ago, ordnance said:

And if that happened should the UK have surrendered without a fight ?

Should , or would ?
The armed forces would have stood and fought, maybe they would have had some luck and forced them back, but even then , British army mentality was for pitched large scale battles, the sort of thing the nazis did very well at , with good use of armour.
It worked in Poland , France , Holland and Belgium, who all fell in weeks, why would the UK be any different ?

Tougher to crack yes, but once the army and air force were gone , 'NEVER SURRENDER!' Churchill, would have surrendered.
What then, the people carry on and fight with pitchforks and shotguns ?

17 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Just seen Putin has been poisoning the negotiation team. Noting says negotiation quite like a drop of poison eh?

"Ere.... does that smell like polonium to you?" 

I heard Mr Abramovich....if that's spelled correctly... was one of those who may have had a wee sip

2 hours ago, Scully said:

One for the family scrapbook; who must be so proud. 
The Three Egos.

image.jpeg.0a2cf8396bf4724239458fbca2bf7395.jpeg

what a nest of Vipers ,three of the most vile men alive ,all of them have killed innocent civilians just to feed their own egos !

1 hour ago, derbyduck said:

what a nest of Vipers ,three of the most vile men alive ,all of them have killed innocent civilians just to feed their own egos !

I thought other one was bono 😂

Wasn't aware of him killing anyone, murdered a few songs on his time though.... 

10 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I thought other one was bono 😂

Wasn't aware of him killing anyone, murdered a few songs on his time though.... 

Perhaps your right , at my age its difficult to recognise a bono ,its usually cramp and in the words of Meatloaf ?

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Bono. U2 lead singer and general ‘banker’. He’s responsible for single handedly feeding the world and ending poverty, or so he seems to believe. 

what the hell was bono doing there ?

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, just heard that President Macron is going to have a word with Putin , ??  Should be interesting to hear what been said on that one ??

I think he’s been having several conversations all the way through. Trying to play the voice of reason/save his skin at home.

General consensus is that Putin has been ‘mugging him off’.

In full: What Russia's deputy defence minister said
Here's a translation of the comments made by Russia's Alexander Fomin, who's part of the negotiating team in Istanbul.

Quote Message: Due to the fact that negotiations over an agreement on Ukraine’s neutrality and non-nuclear status and security guarantees (for Ukraine) are moving into a practical stage, and taking into consideration the principles discussed during today’s meeting, the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation has taken the decision to drastically reduce combat operations in the Kyiv and Chernihiv areas in order to boost mutual trust and create the necessary conditions for further negotiations and for the signing of the aforementioned agreement. from Alexander Fomin Russia's Deputy Defence Minister
Due to the fact that negotiations over an agreement on Ukraine’s neutrality and non-nuclear status and security guarantees (for Ukraine) are moving into a practical stage, and taking into consideration the principles discussed during today’s meeting, the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation has taken the decision to drastically reduce combat operations in the Kyiv and Chernihiv areas in order to boost mutual trust and create the necessary conditions for further negotiations and for the signing of the aforementioned agreement.

Alexander Fomin
Russia's Deputy Defence Minister