Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

If we're sending aid to the Ukraine I hope it's diverted away from others who take the micky , I can understand why countries are sending aid and supplies now, they want to hinder the Russians and Putin while helping the refugees. 

But it's not up to us to rebuild what's been destroyed. 

I see him holding the East, along with the Crimea,  then he'll probably lick his wounds for a few years before going again. 

He'll be controlling the ports which has to make him money.

Yes to all of that!  :cool1:

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will be interesting to see how it goes for Putin based on the current refocus on the conflict to the East and South.

If that also doesn't go as planned is it inconceivable that the Ukrainians might look to "liberate" Crimea?

I know that seemed a ridiculous notion a month ago, but now...

How do we even know that wasn't the game plan of the West all along?

13 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

It will be interesting to see how it goes for Putin based on the current refocus on the conflict to the East and South.

If that also doesn't go as planned is it inconceivable that the Ukrainians might look to "liberate" Crimea?

Interesting point. Even though the Ukrainian's have access to far more defensive weapons they would still face the house to house street fighting that has plagued any Russian incursion into the cities. Success would depend i guess on the strength of feeling in support of Ukraine amongst the population in the two regions.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Why would they?

They just want Russia out of their own country!

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Why would they?

They just want Russia out of their own country!

Is crimea not also part of Ukraine, just currently under illegal Russian control. 

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

If we're sending aid to the Ukraine I hope it's diverted away from others who take the micky , I can understand why countries are sending aid and supplies now, they want to hinder the Russians and Putin while helping the refugees. 

But it's not up to us to rebuild what's been destroyed. 

I couldn't agree more with cutting other aid to fund it, we could start by booting anyone who arrives in a dingy straight back, no appeal, no legal aid, just back where they came from within the hour. 

I just feel with the amount of money wasted by the government on undeserving people, I don't mind spending a bit for people in genuine need, even if it isn't our responsibility. 

45 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Is crimea not also part of Ukraine, just currently under illegal Russian control. 

I couldn't agree more with cutting other aid to fund it, we could start by booting anyone who arrives in a dingy straight back, no appeal, no legal aid, just back where they came from within the hour. 

I just feel with the amount of money wasted by the government on undeserving people, I don't mind spending a bit for people in genuine need, even if it isn't our responsibility. 

After the death of Joseph Stalin in 1953, there was a shift in posture towards the other republics. In an attempt to reconcile the relationship with the Ukrainian SSR, Nikita Khrushchev, along with the other leadership of the Soviet Union, transferred the Crimean Oblast from the Russian SFSR to the Ukrainian SSR.

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

After the death of Joseph Stalin in 1953, there was a shift in posture towards the other republics. In an attempt to reconcile the relationship with the Ukrainian SSR, Nikita Khrushchev, along with the other leadership of the Soviet Union, transferred the Crimean Oblast from the Russian SFSR to the Ukrainian SSR.

Interesting, but my understanding is under international law it is still an illegally occupied area of Ukraine 

8 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Also currently there is no land corridor to Crimea apart from through Ukraine, that's why Mariupol is such a key city, take that, control the South East and Crimea.

But surely Melitopol is more strategic, or do you thinks that’s next on the list after Mariupol? There two vast ‘regions’ in between.

You do know there is a four lane highway stretching over multiple bridges from Kerch to mainland Russia already in existence! 

Oh good grief!

Actor Sean Penn has issued an appeal to billionaires to step forward to purchase fighter jets for Ukraine.

He said on Twitter Thursday that $300 million could purchase “12 aircraft with better tech than Russian MiGs or SU’s” — Sukhoi aircraft.

“One billionaire could end this war in Ukraine,” Penn added in a second tweet. “Of course there are add-ons in arming & maintaining creative runways, etc., but seems worth a think.”

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh good grief!

Actor Sean Penn has issued an appeal to billionaires to step forward to purchase fighter jets for Ukraine.

He said on Twitter Thursday that $300 million could purchase “12 aircraft with better tech than Russian MiGs or SU’s” — Sukhoi aircraft.

“One billionaire could end this war in Ukraine,” Penn added in a second tweet. “Of course there are add-ons in arming & maintaining creative runways, etc., but seems worth a think.”

Was his appeal yesterday....

April fools :good:

11 hours ago, Jaymo said:

But surely Melitopol is more strategic, or do you thinks that’s next on the list after Mariupol? There two vast ‘regions’ in between.

You do know there is a four lane highway stretching over multiple bridges from Kerch to mainland Russia already in existence! 

True but this is one of the reasons for the big hit on the port city, one to get hold of it and a way out to the black sea but also the want a full land not bridge access to the already annexed Crimea. 

Hello, all this talk from Putin about Nazyism in Ukraine , what the latest reports show is many many bodies with hands tied behind the back and shot in the head, mass graves,  many rapes , and now 100s of booby bombs left from the Russian armies departure, and government officials keep bleating war crimes , was it not a war crime the first day Russia invaded Ukraine, 

11 hours ago, ordnance said:

Good to see a missile designed and manufactured in Belfast apparently taking down a Russian helicopter. Armoured helicopters have no defence from the Starstreak Missile it can penetrate over a inch of Armor plate.  

Dramatic moment Ukrainian troops shoot down Russian ...

Thales-Starstreak-Missile-e1462902422689.jpg

Hello, are there any defence weapons that could knock out the rockets sent over from Russia or their ships before the hit Ukraine ??

2 hours ago, amateur said:

If the French or we supplied Exocet or other anti-ship missile, couldn't the Ukrainians knock out the Black Sea fleet?

Would Putin not class that escalation and interference from NATO countries?