Bumper bag!

Scully

We’ve had quite a few days out recently, but mate couldn’t make it for this one and as far as I can recall this is the largest bag I’ve shot on my own. 
Have been watching this standing barley for a while now while dog walking, and a few collapsed patches appeared in the last week or so, from which I could raise a few pigeons with a clap of my hands as I walked the dogs. 
There is a definite flight line across this field, so set up in the shade of a big old oak at a right angle to this line and about 60 yds from it where it was pretty straightforward to put out a few shells and my only two bobbers about 30 yds from my hide in anticipation, even though there was no wind. 
To my back was a thick wide hedge where the Rosebay Willowherb is turning to woolly seed, the Cow Parsley now as dry and burnt as oats, and the vestiges of the last Meadow Sweet ( my favourite wild flower ) rapidly disappearing. 
I was in the shade of the vast overhanging foliage of the oak, looking at the Pennines; the other side of which is Alston, with the sun at 3o’clock to me.
It was about 0730 when I got there ( scattering a few early birds ) and still early enough to smell that wonderful onset of the gradual changing season, and now I have my little pick/shovel, making my seat level is now much less of a problem. 
I had with me my trusty old Perazzi, choked at 3/8ths and half, an almost full slab of Eley Pigeon Select, my Chilli full of lucozade, and a brand spanking new Tilley hat bought on a whim in Grasmere recently just because it was one of only two in my size in the country ( and which it proved too warm for ) my little Opinel with my little Blade Tech, and I was good to go. 
Due to the out reaching low slung branches, overhead shots simply weren’t doable, but I had a long letterbox opening which offered countless opportunities as birds first disappeared over the canopy then suddenly reappeared again low and incoming as they did that familiar undulating flight prior to stalling for the pattern. The bag mostly comprised of these birds as they offered easy targets, and the air was filled with feathers hanging in still air as one after another offered themselves full frontal for that devastating pattern which saw them mostly just drop without ceremony. 
Most birds weren’t even aware I was there until it was far too late for them to react, and even those which managed to react after braking made relatively easy targets as they tried to recover and make a hasty retreat. 
As a result there were quite a few lefts and rights and I had a totally fabulous day as one after another fell to the gun. This is what I wish every outing was like, the buzz is simply wonderful! 
There were a few quiet spells, but not too many, and I was sorry to call it a day mid afternoon to carry out some chores, by which time I had 88 pigeon and 1 Magpie. Fair chuffed with that; a cracking larl day, as they say around here. I really must get a Shotkam as it was a day I could relive constantly. 
Left the hide set up for the landowner who said he would have a go when he got back from some sales, and talking to him yesterday over a pint, he told me he shot a further 55! 
Even the flies attracted to a badger toilet just a few yds away in the hedgerow, couldn’t put a damper on this one. 🙂

Lovely job Scully, can’t beat it when a day just goes right and you’re folding them up with regularity! 
I’ve not started any earlier than 1.30/2 o clock this summer and had a good few 100 plus sessions….I’d wager you’d have had a bumper bag had you been able to stay!! 
There’s no crops left standing in my area with the exception of some beans….that barley will give you some more sport no doubt 😁👍🏼

Edited by Wilts#Dave

10 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Lovely job Scully, can’t beat it when a day just goes right and you’re folding them up with regularity! 
I’ve not started any earlier than 1.30/2 o clock this summer and had a good few 100 plus sessions….I’d wager you’d have had a bumper bag had you been able to stay!! 
There’s no crops left standing in my area with the exception of some beans….that barley will give you some more sport no doubt 😁👍🏼

Thankyou. Sounds like you’ve had a few good outings yourself! 👍

This is the last of the standing barley around here, that I know of, so maybe there’ll be a day or two out of it on stubbles yet, we’ll see. 

9 hours ago, Fellside said:

Well done Scully - enjoyed your write up. 

Thankyou. Pleased you enjoyed it. 

9 hours ago, the hitman said:

Nice write up- a very enjoyable read.

Glad that everything came together on the day and you would have enjoyed the left and rights .

88 is a cracking bag - well shot sir.

Thankyou.🙂

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done, great report, thanks for posting.

And Thankyou also. 

Lovely day Scully. Its what dreams are made off😊.. you said you wished every day out could be like it. I dunno, I think it would become too easy then. When you get a few bad,  to mediocre days, and when there is either no pigeons about or pigeons,  but no matter what you do they won't decoy,  flight lines change, etc. But when you do get it right and  the pigeons play ball, its just class, and all the more sweeter. You really appreciate all the more so.

16 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Lovely day Scully. Its what dreams are made off😊.. you said you wished every day out could be like it. I dunno, I think it would become too easy then. When you get a few bad,  to mediocre days, and when there is either no pigeons about or pigeons,  but no matter what you do they won't decoy,  flight lines change, etc. But when you do get it right and  the pigeons play ball, its just class, and all the more sweeter. You really appreciate all the more so.

Yes, I’d have to agree. It’s the unpredictability and anticipation which makes decoying so enjoyable. 

On 29/08/2022 at 08:21, Scully said:

Thankyou. Sounds like you’ve had a few good outings yourself! 👍

This is the last of the standing barley around here, that I know of, so maybe there’ll be a day or two out of it on stubbles yet, we’ll see. 

Thankyou. Pleased you enjoyed it. 

Yes I’ve had some good outings, an unexpected cracker yesterday in fact where I shot a similar number to you on an old pea stubble but again they really switched on past 16:00.
Hope you’re out again soon enjoying more of the same 😁👍🏼

1 hour ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Yes I’ve had some good outings, an unexpected cracker yesterday in fact where I shot a similar number to you on an old pea stubble but again they really switched on past 16:00.
Hope you’re out again soon enjoying more of the same 😁👍🏼

Thankyou. You too. Out on the clays tomorrow. 🙂