harrycatcat1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Why do people start a sentence with "Look" even the prime minister has just said it on the news. It seems disrespectful as though you are stupid and don't understand 😒 

Just my opinion 🤷 

Even worse for me is starting a sentence with "so".

The reason is "so" is a conjunction correctly used to join two short sentences into one longer sentence where the second part is a consequence of the first part - as in 'It was dark, so the lights were turned on'.

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The reason is "so" is a conjunction correctly used to join two short sentences into one longer sentence where the second part is a consequence of the first part - as in 'It was dark, so the lights were turned on'.

i am in awe of them who can speak proper............couldnt get my head around grammer when i was at skool...

18 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I guess the reason people use "so" to start a conversation is because they imagine or assume you still have the last line they spoke at the forefront  of your memory or the last thing they said was so important that even if you didn't hear it you should have..😄

Just now, islandgun said:

I guess the reason people use "so" to start a conversation is because they imagine or assume you still have the last line they spoke at the forefront  of your memory or the last thing they said was so important that even if you didn't hear it you should have..😄

No it is because they are LAZY and follow our poorly educated American friends habits.

15 minutes ago, islandgun said:

It seems particularly common when people are being interviewed on radio.  Example.

Interviewer:  Yesterday the stormy weather was causing widespread travel problems across the UK.  How was it in your area?

Interviewee:  So, we were not in the worst affected area, but did have some minor disruption.

The use of 'so' is superfluous and incorrect.  The sentence would have been better as "We were not in the worst affected area, but did have some minor disruption."

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

+1 My pet hate too and becoming more and more common