Would £400 get me a decent s/h 12g side by side these days?

Dawsie

I have just bought another side by side , a T Wild of Birmingham in excellent condition with very little signs of use , case hardener still on the action and the barrels are un marked , the gun is 2 3/4 , non ejector and it cost me £190 plus the auction fees which made it around £224 , this will certainly see me out and if looked after it will no doubt see the next owner out , some bargains about .

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I’d say now’s the time to buy with the effect a lack of confidence in their capability to handle steel shot. 
I’ve heard positive things about Gamebore Regal Steel for 2.5” game guns but don’t know of anyone who’s used them; all guns on BIG shoot yesterday were using lead. 

I shoot Gamebore Regal Steel in 30g No 4 shot through at 2 1/2 chambered Arthur Turner S X S.

35 yards is about the maximum range in my opinion.

22 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Contact Wabbitbosher, you might get several guns for that sort of money!  

100% I got a AYA best boxlock and a 3” chambered BSA for the marsh! He has a treasure trove of SxS! 

Put gamebore 36g 3’s HP Steel through the BSA no problem. 

Edited by Scrimshanker

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I have just bought another side by side , a T Wild of Birmingham in excellent condition with very little signs of use , case hardener still on the action and the barrels are un marked , the gun is 2 3/4 , non ejector and it cost me £190 plus the auction fees which made it around £224 , this will certainly see me out and if looked after it will no doubt see the next owner out , some bargains about .

Will you leave it to me in your will? :D It might see a third owner out! lol 

Side by sides are not in demand these days,so it’s a buyer’s market. Some perfectly serviceable guns go in auctions for a few pounds and some get no bids at all.20 years ago I paid £60 for a Spanish box lock ejector,thought it was a bargain then but today I would be lucky to find a buyer at any price. £400 would get an excellent quality gun in good condition,possibly something like a Webley and Scott,or a quality Sidelock Spanish.

10 hours ago, Scrimshanker said:

100% I got a AYA best boxlock and a 3” chambered BSA for the marsh for under £500! He has a treasure trove of SxS! 

Put gamebore 36g 3’s HP Steel through the BSA no problem. 

Strangely enough , I have had a few 3 inches in my time and the only one I couldn't get on with was the B S A , it was me rather than the gun , never liked it from the beginning and that one had to go , having said that , my everyday gun is a B S A 2 3/4 and I shoot well with it , or fairly well , that gun also came from the auction exactly 10 years ago and that was slightly under £200 with the fees.

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Will you leave it to me in your will? :D It might see a third owner out! lol 

When I said it will see the next owner out I forgot to add the criteria which is, you would need to be over the ole allocated time of three score year and ten , in other words on borrowed time.:drinks:

Edited by marsh man

11 hours ago, Dawsie said:

Been reading a lot recently about the cost of used shotguns falling through the floor, just wondered what £400 would get me, never owned one or shot one, but always fancied one.

Just for game and not for fowling.

Is the AYA #4 a good option?

Markets as they are ,yes. But be careful ,there are a lot of half decent older guns for sale as well as a lot of spiffed up old dogs .

AyA's can be a good deal and if you are happy with shorter barrels you can get AyA 25's for give away money . 

Take you time and have a good look around and if not sure either take someone who can advise you or back off .

If you are used to O/U's then the SxS may feel a bit different in handling so you may have to adapt to the gun [ you can not really use O/U stock dimensions as a direct comparison ]as most will have shorter stocks than you are used to but dont let that put you off .

Only trouble I've found with Holts is that their pictures, at the lower end of the price range, are rubbish.  Unless you can get to the auction room, I'd start with guntrader, and see what RFD's local to you have.

That said, I bought a £60-odd AYA from Holts, slightly loose in the stock, but it busts clays and cancels flights if I point it in the right place...Double trigger takes a bit of getting used to, but not much.

On 12/11/2022 at 22:46, marsh man said:

Did you happen to  buy it from Mitchell’s ? 

On 14/11/2022 at 10:44, udderlyoffroad said:

Only trouble I've found with Holts is that their pictures, at the lower end of the price range, are rubbish.

I'm not sure what additional data you can get at the lower end of the range.  I know that at the higher end, you can (or at least could when I looked at a few) get bore dimensions and wall thickness etc. IF you enquire.

Some years ago I went around a few auctions with a friend who had a proper bore measure (and the knowledge to go with it).   Many of the older guns were, whilst not actually out of proof, were not in proof by much.  I was told at the time that trade ins that were pitted (common in older guns used in days when ammunition was more corrosive than now) were often fine bored to remove as much pitting as possible - whilst staying 'in proof'.  That then resulted in a gun that was near proof limits, and still had some pitting.  Not a good combination.

These days, the cost of reproof (even if possible) won't be an economic proposition.