Countryfile - shooting's role in the countryside

This week's Countryfile (BBC2 7pm Sunday 8 January 2023) will focus on shooting's role in the countryside. One of the subjects set to be covered is avian influenza and its impact on shooting, for which BASC's head of game and wildlife management, Glynn Evans, was interviewed. Although we have no control over what makes the final edit of the show, we were happy to work with the BBC to discuss one of the most pressing issues facing shooting currently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001h1pd

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having listened to Radio 4 Farming programme  which did cover this topic on various aspects of shooting, on several consecutive mornings- I found it to be biased - typical bbc presenter and her favourism to the  rspb spokesperson , the pro-shooting person was given  very short space and was ..er ineffective.

They filmed on my mates shoot in Wilts, I ran my young dog down a cover crop and flushed loads of birds, the dog stopping at each lot flushed and carrying on when commanded. 

The cameramen were brilliant and really nice blokes, the guy came over and said he had caught that drive on camera and thought my dog was brilliant. 

Whether or not that makes the cut is yet to be seen … 

I might well be the odd one out as I don't mind the program , it shows the countrside in all it's different moods , something which I have had a lifetimes interest in and also it is on a nice time of the evening .

Yes I will be watching as bird flu have had a big impact on our game shoot with days already been cancelled , yes we did have a shoot yesterday and managed a bag of just over 100 and what was noticeable was hardly a Pigeon to be seen , we haven't found any dead bodies of Pigeons so we can't really put the shortage down to the dreaded flu , but again , who knows ?

On 06/01/2023 at 22:48, Lloyd90 said:

They filmed on my mates shoot in Wilts, I ran my young dog down a cover crop and flushed loads of birds, the dog stopping at each lot flushed and carrying on when commanded. 

The cameramen were brilliant and really nice blokes, the guy came over and said he had caught that drive on camera and thought my dog was brilliant. 

At least you was there Lloyd and will be able to give us a fair view of what was filmed and shown  after the cut 

Edited by Rim Fire

4 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

At least you was there Lloyd and will be able to give us a fair view of what was filmed and shown  after the cut 

They were lovely blokes mate really sound, the issue will be the producers and editors back at the studio if they put a different spin on it as the cameramen were really engaging and loved watching the dogs work. 

This was only the one in Wilts, no idea how the other shoots they filmed went. 

I did a Countryfile programme in the 1990's. It was all about urban crime and how it affected farming. This was after a youngster had been killed when climbing on a moving combine. I have to say I found them all a decent gang to work with and I spent 2 days filming with them, including in my Police LandRover with John Craven. He actually had a good sense of humour, but he needed it appearing with me. Of course Packham was probably still at school back then  🙄 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

They were lovely blokes mate really sound, the issue will be the producers and editors back at the studio if they put a different spin on it as the cameramen were really engaging and loved watching the dogs work. 

This was only the one in Wilts, no idea how the other shoots they filmed went. 

So put a picture of yourself up so we know if it was you!   :cool1:

On 06/01/2023 at 22:48, Lloyd90 said:

Lloyd don't know if another program but the BBC are saying its been filmed on the 12,500-acre Rhug Estate in north Wales?

41 minutes ago, old'un said:

Lloyd don't know if another program but the BBC are saying its been filmed on the 12,500-acre Rhug Estate in north Wales?

I believe there were 3 estates filmed… whether they will feature or not I wait to see. 

41BB841D-8B5F-46DF-9676-54AF18F52C40.png

42 minutes ago, old'un said:

We had Tom in Wiltshire I think … not sure how much he will focus on the shoot vs the avian flu but they filmed the whole days shooting 👍🏻

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So put a picture of yourself up so we know if it was you!   :cool1:

I don’t want to frighten you … keep an eye out for Arnie!! 

6E934062-3FEB-45F9-9498-A22EDFEB4113.jpeg

1 minute ago, Poor Shot said:

***, could the shoot have not put on some younger and more modern looking guns for that day? Looks like they've emptied the back benches of the house of Lords and given each of them a gun.

Doesn't help the old anti cliché of shooting being exclusively for rich old toffs.

They are the paying guns, so you want to change what people watching the TV see by using younger shooters?