Is this a British School shooting?

Lloyd90

8 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Was it a rifle, or a shotgun? I’ve not seen anything other than a legally held firearm.

It wont matter which he used     Mine is in for renewal as we speak hope i get it because after this event it is going to harder than it already was   

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, old man said:

Notwithstanding this very tragic incident the occurrence is still logged as a firearm incident and the total therefore increased?

The total number of homicides involving firearms in 2021 was 36 , of which 26 were as a result of handguns and sawn-off shotguns - which I believe can't be held legally in the UK so assume are illegally held.

The total number of homicides for the same period was 594, of which 39 were those people found smuggled in the back of the lorry in Essex.

That suggests that, even including all illegally-held firearms, you are more likely to die in the back of a lorry being smuggled than by being shot.  On a risk-based approach, why would (should) firearms legislation be impacted by the occasional/rare firearms-related death at the hands of a legally-held firearm?

The stats are that you have less than a 1 in a million chance of being killed by a firearm in the UK.

Edited by Mickeydredd

1 hour ago, Mickeydredd said:

The total number of homicides involving firearms in 2021 was 36 , of which 26 were as a result of handguns and sawn-off shotguns - which I believe can't be held legally in the UK so assume are illegally held.

The total number of homicides for the same period was 594, of which 39 were those people found smuggled in the back of the lorry in Essex.

That suggests that, even including all illegally-held firearms, you are more likely to die in the back of a lorry being smuggled than by being shot.  On a risk-based approach, why would (should) firearms legislation be impacted by the occasional/rare firearms-related death at the hands of a legally-held firearm?

The stats are that you have less than a 1 in a million chance of being killed by a firearm in the UK.

That isn't the issue? All incidents related to firearms (possibly air guns now?) are logged as such nad canbe used for any purpose desired by anyone?

51 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

It doesn't matter what the actual facts of this tragedy are, we will face further restrictions.

Got builders in at the moment, and they insist on having radio 2 on all day; That odious creep Vine is already milking this for all it's worth.  It's rather ghoulish.

Guess where he and his brother were reportedly schooled, not the local comp?

11 minutes ago, old man said:

That isn't the issue? All incidents related to firearms (possibly air guns now?) are logged as such nad canbe used for any purpose desired by anyone?

It isn't the stats that will be used negatively, as the factual reality will show that far more people are killed by kitchen knives etc, it is the rhetoric from the media and MPs who want to make a name for themselves.

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Acrimonious divorce, dispute with neighbours, etc etc 

My comment was in relation to the police attention in this event being a simple change of address.

In this case I haven't seen any reference to those issues?

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

It doesn't matter what the actual facts of this tragedy are, we will face further restrictions.

Got builders in at the moment, and they insist on having radio 2 on all day; That odious creep Vine is already milking this for all it's worth.  It's rather ghoulish.

What’s he been saying?

Feedback on social media from his show today seems to be dominated by talk on the Church of England news and some racial debate. At least if he has been mouthing off then it’s been drowned out by other topics.

41 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

My comment was in relation to the police attention in this event being a simple change of address.

In this case I haven't seen any reference to those issues?

I think when I did my change of address I stated that we had moved house, the fac team could and maybe should ask the reasons when they call to discuss etc. 

Aside from the above, Right now the powers of the pw police is out inforce. Still not all the details yet everyone on here is a detective... 

It is a tragic loss, families have lost loved ones and may never know the reasons behind his motives. Let's instead of making wild accusations and theories and just think of the people who have lost loved ones 

Prepare for a HUGE knee jerk reaction.

Yet again the media are over egging the point he held a license. 

It really boils my p when they do it . 

The fact that there's lots of shootings in the UK by illegally held firearms in the hands of criminals who break the law every single day,, yet no because a license holder does the unthinkable it has to highlighted every news report the fact he held a license. 

Regardless if he held a license or not 3 people have lost their lives and left loved ones behind wondering why and grieving 

So we all know that we legal people will be hammered from every direction .

Edited by hodge911

29 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Prepare for a HUGE knee jerk reaction.

Yet again the media are over egging the point he held a license. 

It really boils my p when they do it . 

The fact that there's lots of shootings in the UK by illegally held firearms in the hands of criminals who break the law every single day,, yet no because a license holder does the unthinkable it has to highlighted every news report the fact he held a license. 

Regardless if he held a license or not 3 people have lost their lives and left loved ones behind wondering why and grieving 

So we all know that we legal people will be hammered from every direction .

While I agree with you, it looks like only the Express went with this story as their front page today. It’s getting less social media attention than David Carrick and the Church of England issue. Public outrage is focused on a lot of things right now.

Edited by Genghis

2 minutes ago, Genghis said:

While I agree with you, it looks like only the Express went with this story as their front page today. It’s getting less social media attention than David Carrick and the Church of England issue. Public  Media outrage is focused on a lot of things right now.

Fixed it for you.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Unfortunately - there are a lot of loud voices who repeatedly call for just that .........

We have to face the fact that apart from the headline grabbers and the GCN etc, no one involved wants to have the fact that they were associated with anything but opposition to any firearms on their CV?

On 07/02/2023 at 14:54, chrisjpainter said:

Indeed so. If someone's kept their mental health struggles hidden, there's very little that can be done to investigate. I've lost track of the number of people who've said they never saw it coming when a family member commits suicide. Tragically, sometimes it's just too well hidden. 

A friend of mine, his son in law walked out of work at lunchtime and jumped off a bridge.

No family problems, no money worries, no trouble at work. His wife said he was fine that morning and colleagues said he seemed relaxed and normal at work in the days building up to it.

Totally inexplicable for everybody who knew him. He left behind a wife and a seven year old daughter.

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

A friend of mine, his son in law walked out of work at lunchtime and jumped off a bridge.

No family problems, no money worries, no trouble at work. His wife said he was fine that morning and colleagues said he seemed relaxed and normal at work in the days building up to it.

Totally inexplicable for everybody who knew him. He left behind a wife and a seven year old daughter.

It's just awful, isn't it? Sometimes it really is like that. 

14 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Similar here mate .

A long time close friend from my school days who worked as a driver for an engineering firm got stopped on a Saturday morning after a night out and failed a breath test resulting in him losing his license ... Unfortunately for reasons known only to him he decided to bottle it up and ended up jumping into the river Tyne and drowning himself .... No signs of being unwell or stressed seen by his family or in fact me 3 days before he went ....

Very complex thing the human syc 

2 hours ago, hodge911 said:

Similar here mate .

A long time close friend from my school days who worked as a driver for an engineering firm got stopped on a Saturday morning after a night out and failed a breath test resulting in him losing his license ... Unfortunately for reasons known only to him he decided to bottle it up and ended up jumping into the river Tyne and drowning himself .... No signs of being unwell or stressed seen by his family or in fact me 3 days before he went ....

Very complex thing the human syc 

Similar here too, a friends granddaughter jumped into the Tyne? They still struggle 3 years later for any explanation?

On 08/02/2023 at 11:56, Mickeydredd said:

This plus more is exactly the type of information if we had a shooting organisation with any balls that would pay for a whole page advert in a national newspaper to shut down the likes of Jeremy vine, but we don’t we just sit back and get shafted.

For BASC et al to ‘come out fighting’ before the facts of the case are established in a court of law would likely be a spectacular own-goal, PR-wise.

We are not the US, BASC are not the NRA.

Whilst that does mean the inevitable campaign against whatever knee-jerk nonsense happens as a result of this tragedy will be starting off on the back foot, the alternative is even less palatable.

56 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I was told a long time ago by a copper in our club that suicides are logged as firearms related homicides.

This was at a time when farmers were regularly committing suicide because the EU was destroying their livihood .

Still debating whether ours have followed suit?